Cultivated Reef

Rocker's 10 gallon

Rocker

squirrelieygrrrl

hey.

so i went to go do some google digging to figure it out. seems we were both right. common names can be so misleading.

another common name for that hermit youve got there is an orange legged hermit. although i do think its a dwarf.

hope i didnt piss on your parade! lol. totally nifty little hermit tho, i didnt know that kind existed. if i had known i would have gotten a couple of those and a couple less of my blue legs.

:slap: i guess i jumped the gun a bit there. doh.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting on a pom pom crab. Good news is I got some green palys. They're slowly opening up but here's some washed out pics of them. I still can't figure out how to take tank pics. The colors always look so bleh than what they really look like in real life. They're bright green with a tan ring on the outside.

GreenPalys_NR_05.jpg

GreenPalys02.jpg

GreenPalys.jpg

There were about 14 polyps altogether, but 5 tiny ones detached and are floating around somewhere.

BOOYAH SON! that rockwerk is pimp!!!!!

we needs moar FTS shots!!! :D

thanks in advance.

Thanks. I'll work on that FTS when the sun goes down. Too much glare right now.

congrats on your first coral!

:happydance: I want more now!!!

Sweet! How was it? I love camping.

Here's a crappy FTS. There's a bunch of streaks all over the front glass. Idk what it is, but it doesn't look like it's going to come off. <_<

FTS_July20_09.jpg

Sweet! How was it? I love camping.

Here's a crappy FTS. There's a bunch of streaks all over the front glass. Idk what it is, but it doesn't look like it's going to come off. <_<

FTS_July20_09.jpg

Looks Great! I can't believe how clean your tank is! Do you scrape off the corraline algae?

Camping was a lot of fun...but HOT. It was 111 degrees, but bearable if hanging out in or around the lake (Lake Isabella). Night was the best. Our tent has a screened top so I watched shooting stars for most of the night :D

Looks Great! I can't believe how clean your tank is! Do you scrape off the corraline algae?

Camping was a lot of fun...but HOT. It was 111 degrees, but bearable if hanging out in or around the lake (Lake Isabella). Night was the best. Our tent has a screened top so I watched shooting stars for most of the night :D

To be honest there hasn't been much growth of coralline. There's really small spots of it on the glass and that's about it.

111 degrees! :o

looking good rocker B)

:happy:

i wouldnt!

we have black sand beaches here ive toyed with the idea too. but, where the waves crash and create foam is where all of the crud collects. ew. i dont know much about the subject. so take what i say with a grain of salt.... lol.

or perhaps a grain of sand in this case. :P

the foam and all the crud is comming from the oceans "protein skimmer" sometimes it produces green lookin foam just like skimmate in your collection cup of the protein skimmer.

Yesterday I super glued the palys to a rock & a few hours later I walk by & see this:

OpenPaly.jpg

Is it normal for it's mouth to open like that?

Today I look at the tank & that same polyp looks like this:

OpenPalyWeird.jpg

The other ones are doing fine. What's going on with this one?

^Thanks. It's been doing that on & off since then, guess it's still not too happy.

I'm guessing this guy is a gorilla crab?

GorillaCrab.jpg

Whatever it is I finally caught it. I've been seeing him around the tank for about a month. He usually darts back into the rock when I try to get a better look, but he was busy picking at the palys this time so I netted him up. He's being held hostage in the AC70 for now.

^Thanks. It's been doing that on & off since then, guess it's still not too happy.

I'm guessing this guy is a gorilla crab?

GorillaCrab.jpg

Whatever it is I finally caught it. I've been seeing him around the tank for about a month. He usually darts back into the rock when I try to get a better look, but he was busy picking at the palys this time so I netted him up. He's being held hostage in the AC70 for now.

lol...he's got E.T.'s face :D I like him....he looks harmless..but I don't know much about crabs!

ok...the more I look at him the more I like him! You have to keep him...he's adorable :wub: and I don't think I've ever said that about a crab!

Wow I love the shape of your rock! Nice little tank ;)

ok...the more I look at him the more I like him! You have to keep him...he's adorable :wub: and I don't think I've ever said that about a crab!

Lol E.T. shall be his name. Don't worry I'm keeping him, but he'll be in the AC70. He was picking at the palys so until I find out what he really is he'll be in prison. He looks like a gorilla crab with the dark claw tips & the hairiness, but the more I look at other pictures of gorilla crabs he doesn't exactly look like one so idk :unsure:

Nice tank! I have a 10G myself and its nice to see others with similar to mine. I like the rocks too.

:happy:

This guy has finally switched to a bigger shell! He would actually beat up the other hermits for their smaller shells while there's a few bigger, emptier ones right next to him! :slap:

HermitRealEstate.jpg

Those things can be picky. lol Mine would rather take the shells from snails than take the empty ones.

:o Your poor snails! As entertaining as they are at times, hermits are such bozos!

Awesome day today. I placed an order with Aloha Corals yesterday & picked up the frags today. I'm definitely buying from Kevin again. He was quick to answer all my little girl questions and a pretty cool guy. Anyways on to the goodies:

Left to Right- Metallic Pink Zoas, Purple Hearted Zoas, Hawaiian Mint Zoas

3ZoaFrags.jpg

Metallic Pink Zoas:

MetallicPinkZoas.jpg

Purple Hearted Zoas:

PurpleHeartedZoa.jpg

Hawaiian Mint Zoas:

HawaiianMintZoas.jpg

I temp acclimated them for about 15 min. & they opened up nicely w/in 20 min. They'll be chillin' on the sand until I figure out where to place them. Not much done to the photos just cropped, resized & auto white balance because the photos came out too blue. They look way brighter in real life.

oooo i like the metallic pinks B)

looking good girl!

edit: suggestion-> do a head count on your zoos if you want to track their growth. I've had mine for two weeks and already see 3-4 new polyps.

^ Yeah, the pink ones are pretty sweet. The polyps are a bit bigger compared to the other two frags.

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to keep track of the growth. The palys are doing good. I've been seeing little baby polyps sprouting & growing. Hope the same goes for those zoas. fingerscrossed

Archived