Top Shelf Aquatics

Rocker's 10 gallon

Rocker

Very nice mod there! Have you done your first water change yet, after the cycle? I can't remember what I read the other day in your thread :rolleyes: If not, looks like it's that time....and then add your cuc. Well, you probably want to get your sand first, if you're going to add sand.

Not sure on the noisy AC filter. I bet with time it will work out it's kinks.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

lol, thanks gena.

i hesitated to say wc time, in case he was gonna add sand.

So, will a water change be ok even though I'll be adding sand later or should I hold it off until then? I really want some sand in this thing.

Btw, I'm a girl. :]

squirrelieygrrrl

doh................

muh bad..... sowee. :slap:

you can do one now if you like, but once you add the sand your probably gonna have some sort of a mini cycle from the die off from the rocks being freshly buried.

Lol. It's all good! :happy:

Guess a water change will be scheduled for tomorrow. And I don't really mind waiting bit if the sand causes a little cycle. It's going to be a busy month workwise...omgomgomg Hopefully by June there will be some fishies.

squirrelieygrrrl

i would say probably like a week after you add the sand you could add your cuc, there pretty bulletproof little creatures. as long as theres no ammonia or nitrite, and your nitrate is less than 10ish preferably 5ish.

have you tested alk yet? (it should be 8-11ish)

ca shouldt be a concern this early in the game.

edit: phew i was starting to feel like a real douche bag there for a sec. :P

I've noticed! A poor liittle guinea pig, I mean snail, came on the rocks and is still alive at the moment. He's always at the top by the trim, maybe he's trying to escape...

Haven't tested for anything besides the normal pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I'll have to check the LFS for the alk test.

Haha. Well, it's not like you could be sure just by looking at my username or anything so I'll let it go this time. :P

Those nerite snails always crawl out of my tank,

they are intertidal so it's pretty normal.

If you want you can always add a hermit from the beach,

they are beyond hardy, same thing with Zebra blennys.

squirrelieygrrrl

my nerites do the same thing!

lol, i call it tank laps. cuz they cruise around out of the water on the trim.

API is the preferred brand for test kits round here. reasonably priced and relatively accurate (sans user error mind you).

lol, phew off the hook ;)

I've noticed! A poor liittle guinea pig, I mean snail, came on the rocks and is still alive at the moment. He's always at the top by the trim, maybe he's trying to escape...

Haven't tested for anything besides the normal pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I'll have to check the LFS for the alk test.

Haha. Well, it's not like you could be sure just by looking at my username or anything so I'll let it go this time. :P

I actually thought you might be a girl...something made me think that at some point.

chica reef power :flower:

k...that was dumb. I didn't sleep well last night. my sleep was interrupted by a hairball puking cat in the middle of the night :wacko:

Those nerite snails always crawl out of my tank,

they are intertidal so it's pretty normal.

If you want you can always add a hermit from the beach,

they are beyond hardy, same thing with Zebra blennys.

Hope he doesn't crawl out or my dog will have an escargot feast. You got a tank thread?

my nerites do the same thing!

lol, i call it tank laps. cuz they cruise around out of the water on the trim.

API is the preferred brand for test kits round here. reasonably priced and relatively accurate (sans user error mind you).

lol, phew off the hook ;)

Got the API saltwater master test kit. Is there another API test kit that comes with alk, ca, etc.?

I actually thought you might be a girl...something made me think that at some point.

chica reef power :flower:

k...that was dumb. I didn't sleep well last night. my sleep was interrupted by a hairball puking cat in the middle of the night :wacko:

LMFAO :haha:

*sticks fist in air* yay chica reef power!!!

your tank looks nice

how long was your cycling process?

The tank has been up and running since last Monday. Not much of a cycle since the rock was already cured when purchased.

squirrelieygrrrl

there is another master kit,

i think its called reef master lab, or sumthin like that.

it comes with ca, alk, and nitrate i think. so youd have a double of a couple tests. if i remember correctly.

(im too lazy to look it up) lol

id just buy em individually if it were me.

hth

~squirrel

Naa no thread yet,waiting to get some more corals,only have some pink octocoral and mat zoas.

Aloha Corals currently only has expensive(used to have $10 frags) frags ( like PPE frags),

and honestly I can't spend the money nor do I care about hype corals.

So I'm stuck with searching for them,and hoping I find a colony of zoas or palythoa.

Alk,and calcium tests won't be needed unless your planning on keep some hidden SP :)

Haha. Nah, I don't have the guts to smuggle some sps into the tank even if I had 100% chance of getting away with it. Yeah, Aloha Corals is pretty pricey. Is that the only place we can actually order some sweet looking zoas from?

Tank update.

We have SAND! Woohoo! :happydance:

FTS: 5/8/09

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Funky lookin' snail that's been in the tank since the beginning.

DSC_0219.jpg

Oh no's! We have a bad guy up in this crib! He needs to be juiced!

aiptasia.jpg

Rocks still look like brown nastiness. There is now a cool little cave for the guys that like to be all secret secret. & that's all for now...

yay....sand :happydance:

Have you tried blowing the rock off with a turkey baster? I bet you could blast a bunch of stuff off that way, and then the filter can take care of the mess :)

Rocker, nice tank! We have pretty similar equipment, so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Did the AC70 quiet down? I know exactly what you mean, I turned mine on for a wet run and it sounded like it was grinding soooooo hard. I just rinsed it under tap water and spun the impeller by hand. When I put it back in it was back to normal.

The tank is coming along nicely. Just nail that aptasia before theres a small army of them. aptasia-x worked well for me.

Thanks ribbie. :]

Yeah, it shushed down a bit. I rinsed out the impeller & motor too, which helped a lot. The humming sound is a bit louder than the last filter I had, so it took a few days to get used to.

I'll be keeping track of your 15 gallon as well. The light looks way better on it than on a 10 gallon!

The tank is coming along nicely. Just nail that aptasia before theres a small army of them. aptasia-x worked well for me.

Looked around for it, but LFS didn't have any. Anyone tried lemon juice with success?

What's your first coral going to be? Have you decided yet? :happydance:

Thing is, the only corals we can legally keep in Hawaii are softies. Zoas & palys are gonna fill this baby up.

Your in Honolulu,you can find zoas and palys.

I think it was at Sandies.

Another hint is to go here,look at the photo's locations and go to the locations.

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marin...a/zoanthids.htm

Here on the Big Island finding them isn't easy.

I have spent collectively 40 hours looking or them around here..

Zip just mat zoas and a dying colony of green zoas.

I'd take the LR out,take a lighter and burn the one aiptasia,

it will work,I've done it it will leave a white mark but it will color up eventually.

Make sure you just hit the aiptaisa,don't scorch the LR and make sure you burn it well.

Archived