ReefCleaners.org

Rocker's 10 gallon

Rocker

I had no idea about that law! Can you have them shipped in or can you only buy from stores in Hawaii? Well, you can certainly do beautiful things with just zoas and palys :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
illuminano

I had quite the outbreak of aptasia in my old tank. I tried all the injection methods but there were just too many of them so i had to burn them off in the sink killing alot of nice coraline etc... why no sand in the tank? I thought a deep sand bed was beneficial in smaller tanks. Interesting rock work by the way, i like the concept.

I had no idea about that law! Can you have them shipped in or can you only buy from stores in Hawaii? Well, you can certainly do beautiful things with just zoas and palys :)

Pretty much no corals can be shipped here. A few LFS get frags once in a while from their divers so it's a hit or miss thing. Idk if it's legal to frag your own stuff from the beach, I'll have to look that up.

Is it just a law against corals? Or do they restrict certain invertebrates and fish?

Non-native inverts are restricted probably fishes too, idk. Seems like everything is illegal here...

I had quite the outbreak of aptasia in my old tank. I tried all the injection methods but there were just too many of them so i had to burn them off in the sink killing alot of nice coraline etc... why no sand in the tank? I thought a deep sand bed was beneficial in smaller tanks. Interesting rock work by the way, i like the concept.

I found a few baby aiptasias. They're so hard to see in certain angles though. Are they more visible out of the water?

There's a 1.5 inch or so sand bed in the tank. It took a week for me to finally get the sand though.

looking good :) you are making me want to set up a 10 gallon reef at work :lol:

Thanks. Hope it gets to where I want it to be some day. You should go for it. Maybe you'll even be excited to go to work. :P

I demand an update.

Yes, sir! *salutes*

Update time.

Not much to tell, but got a really small CUC.

3 Dwarf Zebra Hermits

1 Turbo (died today :tears:)

The LFS didn't have too much to chose from at the time I went so hopefully the next time I go I'll pick-up a few turbos, possibly a cleaner shrimp and a pom pom crab. fingerscrossed

Yesterday I picked up my first fish. It's a tank-bred Ocellaris clownfish. It's about an inch big. Named him Davey Jones.

Here's some pics:

FTS 5/26/09

DaveyJones_LOCKER.jpg

Davey Jones: I didn't know how hard it was to take pics of fishes until today!

DaveyJones.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Hermits:

DSC_0246.jpg

3Amigos.jpg

Are these little aiptasias?!: They're about 3/16 - 1/4 of an inch big.

PossibleAiptasiaGang.jpg

Yay...an update. I was hoping you would do one :happydance:...I haven't seen you around lately!

Davey Jones is :wub: He's so tiny!

You take great closeup photos! Those sort of look like aptasia, or maybe a type of aptasia. I have some of those too. I just assume they are bad. They live in a shaded area of my rock (under a cliff).

Yay...an update. I was hoping you would do one :happydance:...I haven't seen you around lately!

Davey Jones is :wub: He's so tiny!

You take great closeup photos! Those sort of look like aptasia, or maybe a type of aptasia. I have some of those too. I just assume they are bad. They live in a shaded area of my rock (under a cliff).

That's exactly what kind of place that gang of aiptasias are loitering at!

The tank looks good, im shocked the turbo died they usually live through anything.

I was surprised as well. Everything else seems fine so I'm going to believe it was it's time...

davey jones hahah awesome name! i love the first pic of the hermit he's all like "hai thar whats goin on in this thread" :lol:

squirrelieygrrrl

hey girly,

im finally back, so i popped in to check out your progress! just read up on what i missed.

sand! its a miracle! ;)

love the new baby clown, there so cute when there little.

cuc collection is lookin good. odd thing about the turbo though. i prefer nerite snails my self. turbo's can get pretty big. the nerites tend to stay small.

tank is lookin quite nice. coral time soon?

hope all is well with ya.

tc and ttyl

squirrelie, you have returned!!! Yay! :D

I need to go on a hunt for nice zoas and some other stuff. Hopefully it'll be soon. fingerscrossed

squirrelieygrrrl

i have indeed!

interesting stuff bout the coral laws there. makes sense tho. invasive species and what not.

very cool. sooner is better than later in this case! lol.

have you thought about what kind of inverts youd like to have?

Are those type of hydroids bad? I tried looking it up and it said certain ones sting other corals pretty badly.

have you thought about what kind of inverts youd like to have?

Idk but I really want some pom pom crabs! :D

Lately I've been debating whether or not to spray paint the intake tube of the AC70. Still haven't gotten to it, but for the time being I just rearranged the rocks to hide half of it.

Here's some pics:

Tank02_June10_09.jpg

Tank_June10_09.jpg

Woops, looks like I didn't clean the glass too well.

On a good note I'll be going to the LFS tomorrow or Saturday. Hope there will be some cool new additions to update about.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of spray painting...eventually the coralline will cover it. That's what is happening to mine.

I can't wait to see what corals you get. I've been wanting a pom pom crab too :D Haven't seen any around here though.

Alright, so went to the LFS as planned and got a cleaner shrimp and a halloween hermit. I was hoping for some other stuff, mostly button polyps but there were none. Yep, still running a FOWLR tank at the moment :(.

Pics:

Jaques.jpg

JasonHalloween.jpg

Nikon_DaveyJones.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

nice update hun,

i like the cleaner. if i didnt have the angry pistol id totally get one for my tank. dont mean to be a downer but i dont think thats a halloween hermit. looks like some kind of dwarf hermit to me. i have a halloween hermit in my tank, and he dosnt look anything like the crab you got. the halloween hermits only live in a slited type shell as they are called flat bodied hermits (if i remember correctly). i think there might be a pic of mine some where in the early pages of my thread.

+1 to what gena said about the intake.

liveaquria.com carries pom poms if you dont mind paying for the shipping.

lookin great tho! i think its a great thing that your taking it slow. it will pay off in the end im sure.

hope all is well

~squirrel

nice update hun,

i like the cleaner. if i didnt have the angry pistol id totally get one for my tank. dont mean to be a downer but i dont think thats a halloween hermit. looks like some kind of dwarf hermit to me. i have a halloween hermit in my tank, and he dosnt look anything like the crab you got. the halloween hermits only live in a slited type shell as they are called flat bodied hermits (if i remember correctly). i think there might be a pic of mine some where in the early pages of my thread.

+1 to what gena said about the intake.

liveaquria.com carries pom poms if you dont mind paying for the shipping.

lookin great tho! i think its a great thing that your taking it slow. it will pay off in the end im sure.

hope all is well

~squirrel

I just googled halloween hermit pics and there were a few that looked like it but a bunch of others that didn't. Whatever kind of hermit he is he's still cool in my book. I'm curious as to what yours looks like. I'm gonna go look thru your thread.

Great new additions! Cleaner shrimp are the best...they have so much personality!

Davey is looking cute as ever :D

These shrimps are pretty cool. This guy is a pig and I love it!

Looking good :}

:happy:

12.jpg

SHAZAAM! My pom-pom crab... It's fricken sweet, when I can see it...

:wub:

The 2 LFS I go to get them, but it depends on what the divers bring in so it's not always a guarantee that they'll have them.

Archived