inTank Media Baskets

Thought I would show off my new addition

moneyman6891

moneyman6891

I got my first clam after a long time of wanting one. What do you think, its about 2 1/2 inches and real healthy.

edit: for some reason when I load pictures onto photobucket from my computer at home it gets lines in the picture.

DSCF4460.jpg

moneyman6891

I dont know what kind, my buddy at the lfs said theyve had it for a few months and gave me a great dal for it.

anyone seen the crocea/maxima hybrids? kinda looks like one

That's because there isn't any "hybrids". If so, we would've seen them over the course of a million years, give or take a few.

BTW, I agree with BK.... very nice crocea!

Well I'll tell ya from looking at the last ones my LFS ordered you can definately see Maxima coming out with the Crocea. I don't think it would be impossible as they are genetically not much different. Really in a small tank that's like Flowerhorns think about it a Crocea spawns and a Maxima spawns not that hard to imagine. Plus like I said these things looked like Crocea shells just longer "Fins" and they definately had the mantle of a Maxima but with NO DOUBT Crocea colors or else damn someone made some UGLY maximas.

reefman225gal

I wonder what's so hard to believe that clam hybrids exist. I found this info in Delbeek and Sprung's book.

Tridacnid clams are simultaneous hermaphrodites.(i.e.they possess functional sets of both male and female gonads) and reach full sexual maturity after about 5-7 years. The age of maturation is different for each species ( Heslinga, et al., 1990). Some clams can become sexually mature as males within two years and then gradually acquire female gonads as they mature further ( LUCAS,1988). Although clams posses both male and female sex organs at maturity, the release of sperm and eggs are separate events.This tends to prevent self-fertilization. Generally, the sperm are released into the water first, followed shortly thereafter by the eggs. Self-fertilization, and cross-fertilization between different species can occur ( Alcazar, 1988). Hybrids can be formed that exhibit characteristics of both species. Known and suspected hybrids. include Hippopus hippopus x H. porcellanus ( Alcazar, 1988), T. maxima x T. crocea, T.derasa x T.gigas, and T.maxama x T.squamosa ( J. Sprung per. obs.; G. Heslinga, pers. comm.)

Edit: Spelling

I wonder what's so hard to believe that clam hybrids exist. I found this info in Delbeek and Sprung's book.

Tridacnid clams are simultaneous hermaphrodites.(i.e.they possess functional sets of both male and female gonads) and reach full sexual maturity after about 5-7 years. The age of maturation is different for each species ( Heslinga, et al., 1990). Some clams can become sexually mature as males within two years and then gradually acquire female gonads as they mature further ( LUCAS,1988). Although clams posses both male and female sex organs at maturity, the release of sperm and eggs are separate events.This tends to prevent self-fertilization. Generally, the sperm are released into the water first, followed shortly thereafter by the eggs. Self-fertilization, and cross-fertilization between different species can occur ( Alcazar, 1988). Hybrids can be formed that exhibit characteristics of both species. Known and suspected hybrids. include Hippopus hippopus x H. porcellanus ( Alcazar, 1988), T. maxima x T. crocea, T.derasa x T.gigas, and T.maxama x T.squamosa ( J. Sprung per. obs.; G. Heslinga, pers. comm.)

By the same token, according to James Fatherees' book, there is no scientific evidence of any hybridization. Think about it, if this were possible, why haven't we seen any in the ocean? Especially after millions of years of evolution and cross breeding?

it could be the same reason you see hybrid african cichlids in many tanks, but not in lake malawi. Malawi is packed with cichlids, but they find their own mates. I'm sure there are a few hybrids, but they aren't common. I bet the situation exists within this clam genus too. I also would wager that hybrid + hybrid offspring isn't very viable or possible, eliminating common observations in the wild and the development of of hoards of new species.

reefman225gal
By the same token, according to James Fatherees' book, there is no scientific evidence of any hybridization. Think about it, if this were possible, why haven't we seen any in the ocean? Especially after millions of years of evolution and cross breeding?

The link I've provided below is by James Fatheree, and if you scroll down to the final note of that article he talk's about hybrids.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/...ature/index.php

Edit: So he's saying there are hybrids. I just think they haven't been described ( Taxonomic classification) as for the scientific evidence you talk about. I don't think it means they don't exist.

• 1 month later...
tangsrmyfriends

Well, I'm a beginner, and it all start with my boyfriend who is into Reef Aquariums.

The more I seen how fascinating it was. I became interested in it too. I just looked in my book

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, and the OP's clam looks like a Tridacna crocea.

Archived