inTank Media Baskets

Sword's 3 gallon Picotope

Sword

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dirtwheelsfl

ya, i found my red scooter blenny on the floor today, case of beer down the toilet i guess, he was cool too....

Sword; I don't know if you're still interested but you can get a picotope light from JBJ for about $20. Ldogg just bought some

(310) 672-4021 or (310) 672-4099 Thanks Ldogg

Thanks for the info guys :)

Not much has changed in my pico. My Monti cap is growing slowly but surely, my zoas don't appear to be spreading as fast as I had hoped, my Ricordea is looking nice, and my blue cloves have spread onto the rock I had them sitting next to.

I'll hopefully get some more zoa frags soon.

I've got some pics to post in a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Acquired two new frags, both of which I've had my eye on for months. One is the most vibrant green GSP I have ever seen. It was growing freely on the plastic of their frag rack. I asked him to frag it for me the last time I was in and it was ready when I got there today.

The other is a crazy looking single zoa polyp. Pictures to come in the next couple of days when they open. Hopefully the GSP

I also rearranged my rocks and finally glued down the first set of green zoas I got when I first started this tank.

Everything is mad at me right now, but I snapped some shots. I'll post them later tonight (or tomorrow if I forget).

Also, I did my first water change since 5/29. Nitrates were at <5ppm and Calcium was at 360ppm. Not bad for nearly four weeks, but I refuse to go that long again.

Green Star Polyps still haven't opened. They're probably pretty angry.

New Zoa:

3656251224_1435fab354_o.jpg

Mouth is green, yellow starburst pattern, near-black in between, and red+orange skirt.

Any idea what causes the banding pattern in my Montipora?

3587026717_83b52356e9_o.jpg

3658416777_01e28929c3_o.jpg

It's much more evident to the eye than the camera depicts.

I really don't want to buy new bulbs for this fixture - was hoping to switch to LEDs on it.

Maybe I'll buy a 50/50 one in the meantime. Le sigh.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Got a 50/50 bulb to replace the 6500K/10000K daylight bulb. Looks much, much better.

Today I bought a bunch of loose polyps the LFS (Aquarium Fanatics) had floating around in their frag tanks. Total bill: $5.

Got a bunch of Zoas and a piece of chalice! Will have pictures when the zoas open up. Glued all of the zoas to a piece of rubble. The chalice is on the same rock that my Montipora is on.

Of the new zoa polyps, only two of them didn't make it (they were buried under sand in the frag tank and had super skinny bodies). Will eventually get a picture. Most of them are the same, oddly enough. Got a bunch of one kind, two yellow polyps, and one that's purple/brownish.

My montipora is dead/dying it looks like. I had a bad batch of salt and didn't catch it until after my second water change with it. Calcium was like 160ppm. It had a weird consistency, too. New batch is good, though. Sadly, I think the combination of the bad salt, the increased salinity from no top off for a few days (was out of town), and three days without lights led it its demise.

Can't win 'em all. Still need to get an ATO set up.

My batch of freshly mixed Reef Crystals mixes to 340ppm calcium @ 1.025 SG.

Tested my calcium/alk today with my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits: 340ppm/11dkH

Took a sample to the LFS to test with their Salifert test kits: 340ppm/11dkh.

Dosed my tank with Kent Nano Reef 2 Part Solution as recommended by the LFS. Calcium still hasn't risen hours later. Does this stuff take a while to work?

Been playing with the settings on my camera - a few new shots. Photos are complete unaltered, straight from the camera and re-sized to 25% of their original resolution.

3797337286_c18b23fbf5_o.jpg

3797337200_6444e468bd_o.jpg

3797337104_45fc3ff3c9_o.jpg

3796518655_90b09e6f37_o.jpg

3796518573_22e26d0a74_o.jpg

Archived