SaltCritters.com

Sword's 3 gallon Picotope

Sword

Not much to update - no pictures anyway.

I was home (Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter, FL) for the day on Thursday and went to the beach for most of the day. I decided that I would start up a 5.5g rimless tide pool critter tank. So far I have a boatload of macro algae (for the sea hare I collected) as well as a few snails and a hermit crab or two. Going back on Monday to get more macro (there's about 5 or 6 different types I've found) and to pick up any other unique critters.

Since I live so close to the ocean, I can pretty much ensure my hare will have a stable diet of macro and I can keep all of the inhabitants from the same ~500ft of beach.

I also netted a little fish. Not sure what he is. He's just a baby. Probably a mackerel or something. He's eating crushed New Life Spectrum pellets already, so maybe there's hope :) I named him Plemon. (Plee-mon)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dirtwheelsfl

lets see that fish!

i dont think its any kind of mackerel, it would have died already....

the fish is only about 1cm long. Still very little. Not sure what he could be. There are thousands of fish that spawn around South Florida. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

Also, there are some red hermit crabs that live in those tide pools. Think they would be reed safe?

My reef is doing really well. The water is sparkling and I'm noticing coral growth. Couldn't be happier. The cyano is completely eliminated, too.

If I were to add another piece of love rock, would it throw things off? I want to add one to take advantage of vertical space and give me a place to mount high light corals.

Thanks for looking everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
addicted2reefer
Not much to update - no pictures anyway.

I was home (Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter, FL) for the day on Thursday and went to the beach for most of the day. I decided that I would start up a 5.5g rimless tide pool critter tank. So far I have a boatload of macro algae (for the sea hare I collected) as well as a few snails and a hermit crab or two. Going back on Monday to get more macro (there's about 5 or 6 different types I've found) and to pick up any other unique critters.

Since I live so close to the ocean, I can pretty much ensure my hare will have a stable diet of macro and I can keep all of the inhabitants from the same ~500ft of beach.

I also netted a little fish. Not sure what he is. He's just a baby. Probably a mackerel or something. He's eating crushed New Life Spectrum pellets already, so maybe there's hope :) I named him Plemon. (Plee-mon)

Paradise ! I love FLorida for that reason. when ever I'm bored lookin at my tank, I just go looking around the grassflats, sandbars, and reefs we have here on the east coast. look at the attached picture, cool right. just cruising along the indian river lagoon with us, eatin, sprayin water, you know...

post-43222-1242076906_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I lived coastal Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter area for 18 years and I never once saw a wild dolphin. Saw a few manatees and sharks, but never a dolphin.

Here are the pictures of Plemon that I promised. Still don't know what he could be - he's such a small guy that it's hard to ID him myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated! They are similar to the tiny Sergeant Major Dameselfish that inhabit the same tide pools but they have different striping and are usually solo rather than in groups like the Sgt. Majors.

(click to enlarge)

3523450701_912916aabc.jpg?v=0

3524260200_1ebf6bcff9.jpg?v=0

dirtwheelsfl

looks like a pinfish, but the coloring is a little dark (looks like you took the pic with the tank lights off, at nite or something, which is why he would have darkened up)

if it is, get it out, unless you dont plan on having any other fish, shrimp, or anything, it will kill it all....

see if you can get a pic with colors under the lights( maybe it already is, i dont know)

He's only slightly lighter than that. Pretty much black and white, same stripes, but pure white between them.

Plus, he's in a 3g - he's the smallest thing in the tank right now. As he starts to grow, I'll accommodate him since I snatched him out of the sea. I foresee a big FOWLR tank in his future.

I would definitely say he fits in the Sparidae family. I originally assumed he was a baby sheepshead or other porgie.

I'll try to take some better pictures of him under the tank lights tomorrowish.

Only three snails, two hermit crabs, and an emerald crab in there with him. Nothing for him to hurt, really.

He's got a lot of personality for such a little fish. He zooms all around and seems like he was born to be in an aquarium - eats the prepared food pellets readily. Picks at the algae growing on the back glass. Seems to be pretty happy - curious too. Loves to watch me and my girlfriend as we watch him at the front of the glass.

No new pictures for a while :(

My iPhone collided with a metal roof at 100+mph.

Remember kids: pockets are not a secure place for keys and phones when riding Manta at Sea World Orlando.

dirtwheelsfl

those pictures are with a phone? man i really need to learn how to use a camera, my attempts dont even look near that good...

Half were with my phone, the other half with my girlfriend's camera.

Good news: I got my new camera today! Will take pictures on Monday, I think. Might get a new frag then, too.

I show off my fancy new camera and get no replies? :(

Updates soon, though! Got three new frags today! A banded, red Montipora capricornis and two Ricordea florida varieties.

Hopefully I didn't kill the cap. It's had a rough day from what I gather - it was fragged this morning at the store and then I hooked it to a rock just now.

Plemon is a fast little bugger. I'll try to snap some of him in a few minutes - uploading another batch of pictures now :)

dirtwheelsfl

nice pics...

im sure you didnt hurt the cap, i broke a piece off once and it sat in the rocks with barely any light for probably a month, glued it to a rock and it colored back up and is growing like crazy...

Hopefully I didn't kill the cap. It's had a rough day from what I gather - it was fragged this morning at the store and then I hooked it to a rock just now.

^^thats how all of my caps were done, my friend just broke off a piece for me, i took it home, and glued it up, in fact thats how ive gotten all my coral, not a single death...

I like the Ric....prob because I have the same one. What camera did you get???

Thanks! The camera is a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS

I like the ric also! nice aquascaping!

It took me a while to find a layout that I liked. Thanks for looking!

Archived