Top Shelf Aquatics

Sword's 3 gallon Picotope

Sword

I personally think you'll be fine for now with the hydrometer. However, you probably will want to upgrade eventually. Therefore, you might want to just buy it now, since it might be more cost affective (since you're already shipping stuff).

In the end, it's up to you :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can afford it, get the refractometer. However, a hydometer washed out with RO after each use will give consistent results over time. Just verify its readings against the LFS's refractometer to see where it stands as far as accuracy. Mine is spot on :),

If you go with a hydrometer, make sure when it's filled that you don't have any air bubble stuck to the pointer. Also, it's a good idea to get your hydrometer checked every couple months by your LFS. Just to be sure... I understand they can change over time.

I say go for a Refractometer - sooner or later you are going to get one. Why not now, and save on the shipping cost of having to rebuy again from the store. ;)

Splitting doesn't neccessarily mean it's healthy. They split more often when they're stressed.

Honestly, no one has any clue as to why they actually split. Every tank I've seen with bta's usually have had a few splits.

Oh hey, just noticed the comment about synthetic salt mixes, if anyone is interested or hasn't seen this yet... http://web.archive.org/web/20010303215133/...s/1/default.asp

Very interesting article. I'm sure many of you have seen it already, if not it's a good read in terms of comparing some major salt mixes.

I saw that the other day - not sure what to make of it since I'm not sure what all should be in there anyway :P

Anyone with any insight into that article? Which salt mix stands above the rest?

Well, that depends on what you want to do with your tank's parameters. Some people choose to keep calcium, magnesium and alk boosted above NSW levels, through dosing and whatnot. Since it's a good idea to test your freshly mixed water before you do a water change, some people dose their water to bring it up to acceptable standards if something is low. Many people have had excellent experiences doing this with brands such as Instant Ocean.

Since I personally will be trying to replicate rather than supplant NSW conditions, I'll be using D-D H2Ocean Pro. From what I've read it mixes pretty close to typical NSW parameters and I don't want to do a lot of dosing and fiddling... I plan to do 10% water changes every 5 days, so I'm hoping that will keep the Ca, Mg, and Alk up high enough for SPS, clams and the like.

I'm not saying that the other brands aren't good, there are a lot of people using salt that's half the price as this one... Instant Ocean comes to mind here, and they have excellent results. Basically, choose something that suits your needs and test to be sure. If you need something that will support SPS, choose one with elevated (or at least NSW) levels of important elements like Ca. If you are sticking with softies, you can easily do with less. Once you choose a salt, ask what others think of the brand.

As a side note, the role of elements such as strontium and molybdenum are pretty strongly debated in some circles. I feel that calcium, magnesium, and (not really an element but important nonetheless) alk are more important, the other 'trace' elements will be replaced easily by water changes. These 3 deplete quickly and must be watched.

Wow, my $.02 worked out to about a quarter :D

Thanks for the information, BlueAbyss! That really helped to clarify a lot of questions I had. I'm probably going to be asking a lot of questions about my waters parameters and the needs of the corals I happen to select.

Speaking of that, does anyone know of a good article (or book) with the different care requirements for various corals and inverts?

just opt for the 50w heater. it's the same size

Was going to, but realized I live in FL and it doesn't get below 74F in my apartment. With the light above, the fuge runnin', and whatnot, it shouldn't drop below 78 with the 25w.

Nothing to update yet. Stuff should be here tomorrow. Just making spreadsheets to keep track of my test logs and expenditures.

So far for my water testing logs of stuff to test for, I have:

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate, Specific Gravity, Salinity, and Temperature.

Is there anything else that I should have to test for in the near future? How often, after cycling, should I be testing everything? Every week before (and/or after) water changes? Does anything need to be monitored daily (aside from temperature) assuming I keep up with daily top-offs and weekly water changes?

Yay! Everything came in this morning. Won't have a chance to set it up until Saturday probably :(

Will probably go ahead and mod the AC70 tonight. Should be fun.

I also enjoy seeing new Picotopes being set up :) It's so exciting.

I broke mine down about 5 or 6 months ago, and I cleaned it all out and put everything back in the box -- looks like brand new. Then my LFS e-mailed me yesterday saying they have a brand new 18W Current USA Satellite that I could have for $30.

Now, looking at your thread, I want to go pick it up and start up the Picotope again. DAMN THE INTERNET! :D

I also enjoy seeing new Picotopes being set up :) It's so exciting.

I broke mine down about 5 or 6 months ago, and I cleaned it all out and put everything back in the box -- looks like brand new. Then my LFS e-mailed me yesterday saying they have a brand new 18W Current USA Satellite that I could have for $30.

Now, looking at your thread, I want to go pick it up and start up the Picotope again. DAMN THE INTERNET! :D

DO IT! B)

After posting that picture, I decided to remove the Picotope label. Took a little bit of elbow grease, but I eventually removed that eyesore :)

After posting that picture, I decided to remove the Picotope label. Took a little bit of elbow grease, but I eventually removed that eyesore :)

Isn't it crazy how adhesive that sticker is? I remember removing mine ... what a pain.

Tagging along on your thread ...

reefman225gal
Well, there she is.

emptytankjpeg.jpg

Saturday will be the day that I fill 'er up and add the live rock. I'm excited!

I bet your like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. Saturday probably can't get here fast enough for you. :)

yeah :) I've spent every day for the last couple weeks in the various LFSs around here. I'm just trying to decide what to get now.

Archived