Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help Help Help I think my Tang has ick and he is dying before my eyes!

humatrigger

He is swimming around like normal thanks for asking. What is with you people who would rather yell at you than offer you advice.

Pictures,or it never happened ......And you can put todays newspaper in the pic as well thank you!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no... 1 + 1 = 2

true

Pictures,or it never happened ......And you can put todays newspaper in the pic as well thank you!

I will put a picture on if you guys want but you will deny it and say "oh you got that from google" or "that was probably 3 weeks ago".

Oh I didn't see the newspaper part, darn we don't suscribe anymore. How else could I prove it?

supreme_spork
What is wrong with keeping a Tang the size of a nickel for 3 months?

You mean other than the fact that your tank is barely cycled, likely a chemical cesspool and that you have no idea what you're doing?

You mean other than the fact that your tank is barely cycled, likely a chemical cesspool and that you have no idea what you're doing?

6 weeks isn't cycled enough for you?

supreme_spork
6 weeks isn't cycled enough for you?

No, given the fact that just 2 weeks ago you were complaining about nitrites, doing massive water changes and adding sugar to your tank.

You are doing this hobby wrong and we've seen people like you over and over, and it never ends well.

Ever. You will fail.

Should you want people to begin taking you seriously and helping you, you will stop doing it wrong and start listening to what experienced people have to say. Remove the tang and return it to where it came from and don't add anything else before posting a tank thread with pictures and full description of what you're currently stocked with. Listen patiently to advice and learn the basics before buying anything else.

I normally ignore threads like this but I believe your problem is you never let the tank finish cycling.

First off post a picture of your tank. That will give us a visual reference. Secondly from the garbage I have gathered from the previous 3 pages you have a tang in a 14g. Way too small. Remove tang.

Secondly reduce your water change amount to about 20% every 3- 4 days. This will give the bacteria time to settle and establish itself. Your huge water changes are washing away bacteria before it can finish doing its job.

Third. Report any changes. And limit light schedule to to a few hours a day.

If you give a damn about the fish, give it the home it deserves. That's good advice. Not what you want to hear though, is it?

Wow, you've got to be pretty dense to get Scott fed up with you. Kudos.

You could take a picture of the fish, and you holding a peace of paper in front of the tank saying " Nosey rocks" with todays date, and all done in free hand, no typing!

No, given the fact that just 2 weeks ago you were complaining about nitrites, doing massive water changes and adding sugar to your tank.

You are doing this hobby wrong and we've seen people like you over and over, and it never ends well.

Ever. You will fail.

Should you want people to begin taking you seriously and helping you, you will stop doing it wrong and start listening to what experienced people have to say. Remove the tang and return it to where it came from and don't add anything else before posting a tank thread with pictures and full description of what you're currently stocked with. Listen patiently to advice and learn the basics before buying anything else.

Hey now, jjohnson turned over a new leaf and started listening...haven't seen him since ;)

supreme_spork

Also, just to add to the record: humatrigger does not have a protein skimmer yet will undoubtedly attempt to stuff as many fish in a 14g as he possibly can.

Ever. You will fail.

Yes I lowered the nitrates, generally given more time they will lower. I somewhat agree with what you are saying later but the requirements some people think are necessary are ridiculous, I have friends that have kept tanks in way below what you guys think and they have lived for years. (This is way before I had a tank) But also some advice is good, but what a lot of people say (not specifically you) are loaded with money and could afford a 45,000 gallon tank and just give you crap because you could never afford what they think. (Again I am not saying just you)

supreme_spork
Hey now, jjohnson turned over a new leaf and started listening...haven't seen him since ;)

That outcome would be most welcome in this situation. B)

Also, just to add to the record: humatrigger does not have a protein skimmer yet will undoubtedly attempt to stuff as many fish in a 14g as he possibly can.

Well what I hear from many people is you don't need one and the ones that aren't garbage are $300 and frankly, I am not spending 3/4 of what the whole costed on a protein skimmer.

You could take a picture of the fish, and you holding a peace of paper in front of the tank saying " Nosey rocks" with todays date, and all done in free hand, no typing!

Yes how about an one not as your idea of "funny".

supreme_spork
I have friends that have kept tanks in way below what you guys think and they have lived for years. (This is way before I had a tank) But also some advice is good, but what a lot of people say (not specifically you) are loaded with money and could afford a 45,000 gallon tank and just give you crap because you could never afford what they think. (Again I am not saying just you)

If you have friends who have been successful and they contradict the excellent advice of the many very, very experienced people here -- including a number of marine biologists and many people working in the industry, by the way -- then please do us all a favor and leave this forum, because you obviously have no need of our services.

Most of the people in this hobby are not loaded with money, just to be clear. However, this is not an inexpensive endeavor and it does take resources and money to do things properly. Instead of buying a tang at this stage of your reefing career, you might have spent that money on less exciting but more necessary things that would contribute to the health of your tank.

I normally ignore threads like this but I believe your problem is you never let the tank finish cycling.

First off post a picture of your tank. That will give us a visual reference. Secondly from the garbage I have gathered from the previous 3 pages you have a tang in a 14g. Way too small. Remove tang.

Secondly reduce your water change amount to about 20% every 3- 4 days. This will give the bacteria time to settle and establish itself. Your huge water changes are washing away bacteria before it can finish doing its job.

Third. Report any changes. And limit light schedule to to a few hours a day.

Thank you for providing "construction criticism". I am going to eat really quick and when I get back I will.

If you have friends who have been successful and they contradict the excellent advice of the many very, very experienced people here -- including a number of marine biologists and many people working in the industry, by the way -- then please do us all a favor and leave this forum, because you obviously have no need of our services.

Most of the people in this hobby are not loaded with money, just to be clear. However, this is not an inexpensive endeavor and it does take resources and money to do things properly. Instead of buying a tang at this stage of your reefing career, you might have spent that money on less exciting but more necessary things that would contribute to the health of your tank.

then please do us all a favor and leave this forum Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Well what I hear from many people is you don't need one and the ones that aren't garbage are $300 and frankly, I am not spending 3/4 of what the whole costed on a protein skimmer.

Yes how about an one not as your idea of "funny".

2 things.

1. This hobby is effing expensive, and you'll learn soon enough that cutting corners ends up costing you a lot more in the long run.

2. When you decide to make a nano tank, you accept that some fish just aren't suitable for them. Tangs are most definitely at the top of this list. That tang will eventually grow larger than the length of your entire tank, and that doesn't even take into account it's need for open space to swim.

Now, you've condemned a fish to die (and I don't believe for a second that it make a miraculous recovery), and you're wondering why people here aren't more receptive to you?

You're lying.

I swear to God I am not.

Im don't find it funny, I was trying to make the point that I'm sure your tang is not doing just fine like you say, but prove me wrong by posting a picture like i said. If your not lying then you have nothing 2 lose , but everything to gain!

I don't understand something,in the thread title it states his tang is dying before his eyes,and later he states its swimming around normally?There is something you gotta understand,a salt water aquarium is not for beginners,i waited for over 6 years for starting one and first was having normal aquarium experience.the hobby is also very expensive,just one fish can cost over 40 euro's(thats more in dollars) and not using a skimmer in a small tank like yours is asking for trouble,there are people who don't use a skimmer and let the live rocks do to work but that doesn't really work in a small tank like yours.And the people you know where it might works are likely experienced so they know what they are doing.

You are making beginners mistakes where we tried to help you with but you are to ignorant to comply with,you did a big water change while the tank was still cycling,when a tank cycles it gets high nitrite and nitrate rating,when the tank was done cycling it would go to zero on its own.

You also added a fish that is not suitable for the tank,a tang can grow to 20 cm and is know to get sick fast,so the tank was obviously not done cycling seeing the fish was dying as you stated in your title and first post.And calling people names even though they did it first just shows how immature you are,if you said that to my face i would have slapped you sideways... :owned:

Archived