Innovative Marine Aquariums

Derasa in a RSM

nyfishguy

friend of mine's store has some REALLY pretty tiger Derasa clams for sale and i was wondering if they'd do OK in my tank. He'll give me a 3-4 incher for around $35 bucks

i'd set him up on the rockwork about mid way up in a nice secure spot..

yes? no? maybe?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
friend of mine's store has some REALLY pretty tiger Derasa clams for sale and i was wondering if they'd do OK in my tank. He'll give me a 3-4 incher for around $35 bucks

i'd set him up on the rockwork about mid way up in a nice secure spot..

yes? no? maybe?

Give it a try, they don't need intense lighting..

just got home and acclimated him for about an hour...lights aren't even on yet and he's already opening....he's purdy!!

pics to come

• 2 weeks later...

Classic example of people who don't know what they are talking about encouraging others to do something they probably shouldn't do.

1) Deresas get enormous pretty quickly, and gobble calcium like there's no tomorrow. Are you prepared for this?

2) They do better when placed on the sand bed, not the rock structure.

I think StevieT had a Maxima clam in his Max with the stock lighting for awhile before he upgraded to MH. He had it sitting up higher on the rocks and I think it was doing fine you'd have to ask him tho to be sure.

not at all....he opens well during the day and he attached himself very well....he does in fact eat the calcium but im dosing with C-balance as needed.....but thanks for all the confidence there guys....lol

i know he wont be in my tank for more than 2 years (if that) but i can get him off the rock and trade him for something smaller with my LFS....we're old friends....

Yea I wouldn't sweat it. Keep the calcium up and check the parameters and you should be fine. If it grows to big, sell it.

It's not like you tossed a tang in there.

Yea I wouldn't sweat it. Keep the calcium up and check the parameters and you should be fine. If it grows to big, sell it.

It's not like you tossed a tang in there.

NO TANG IN NANO!! i just figured a derasa would be a good learning clam being as how it is one of the most tolerant of all of them

yeah cause your tank has so much to offer this clam.Your tank is only 3 months old also?Oh and tank has crap for light.I think i would have held off till your tank was mature and had proper lighting to keep the clam happy and not just alive and hanging on by a thread.Why get something to stock in tank if you only plan to keep for bit?I think thats just dumb.

my tank has been up for over a year....it was broken down and moved 3 months ago....just installed a chiller...i have the tunze 9002 with Stevie's media rack and collection cup and im getting the 24" current nova extreme T5HO on tuesday.....the lack of confidence on this site makes me sad.....lol

but ok......ur right...

dude u'll be fine. just dose calcium, and ur gettin a T5 setup so ur in the clear. keep ur water quality pristine, even if it is one of the less delicate clams. notice i didnt say oh ya its a hardy one, cuz its not. i dunno wut ppl could b worried about. it will grow fast but some pple like that. make sure u check magnesium levels too. it helps Ca. :) good luck!

O and sick tiger !!

my tank has been up for over a year....it was broken down and moved 3 months ago....just installed a chiller...i have the tunze 9002 with Stevie's media rack and collection cup and im getting the 24" current nova extreme T5HO on tuesday.....the lack of confidence on this site makes me sad.....lol

but ok......ur right...

its not a lack of confidence. its a lack of understanding of your apparent inability to listen- but you ask for advice anyway.

i listen just fine....but i dont sweat the small stuff....im sure me and my clam will be just fine

mag's at 1280ish and my Ca is around 480...im cool....thanks for all the optimism

to all you haters out there....clam's doing great.....thanks again for all the confidence....more pics soon.....light on this time

Archived