Cultivated Reef

Marinebiologists 12g Nano Cube

marinebiologist

marinebiologist

alright, well update, today i brought home a sebae anemone!!!!! so far it looks really good, although my clown is ignoring it :(

Also, im going to be moving in december, 2 hours away. dont quite know how im going to do that yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
marinebiologist

yeah ill get some later tonight. It doesnt look bleached, although i read that they should be tannish, but mine is white, but it has purple tips still. It looks like its acclimated well. It had moved a couple inches off the sandbed into a crevice last night and looks like its settled in there. My clown is still ignoring it though unfortunately.

And yeah i read that thread. im going to be moving three other tanks along with it tho, lol, thankfully they're freshwater. The planted tank is going to be tough though.

Yeah, even though it has purple tips, it's still bleached. just feed it and it should eventually recover

i agree. i was actually just talking to one of the LFS owners last week about this :P

marinebiologist

how often should i feed them? I read that they shouldnt be fed that often.

Im also ordering a new bulb for my bimini, my light is about a year old so yeah,lol. should i get a blue bulb or just regular white with 14000k

marinebiologist

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

DSC03141.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03126.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

heres a bad fts, the tank is kind of bare because im trying to hold off on buying coral until i move.

DSC03144.jpg

I can't remember, what kind of lighting do you have?

Yeah, don't feed them too much, like if it starts spitting out food and stuff, definitely not good. Maybe try a few times a week?

Oh lol nevermind about the lighting question, I just read the title :P

I think the 14k looks good, but it can depend on the brand

I can't remember, what kind of lighting do you have?

Yeah, don't feed them too much, like if it starts spitting out food and stuff, definitely not good. Maybe try a few times a week?

Oh lol nevermind about the lighting question, I just read the title :P

I think the 14k looks good, but it can depend on the brand

it seems like once a week would be enough?

marinebiologist

alright well im feeding him every other day, he's not completely white he has a faint color of tan.

And GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! My clown is hosting him :) hopefully shes not too rough with him, she occasionally peck at him.

marinebiologist

Alright so i brought home a Bangaii Cardinal today!!! and a turbo snail to clean up my hair algae, but all he seems to be doing is spitting out eggs i think?

The anemone is doing well, shes taking small pieces of squid everyday.

Alright so i brought home a Bangaii Cardinal today!!! and a turbo snail to clean up my hair algae, but all he seems to be doing is spitting out eggs i think?

The anemone is doing well, shes taking small pieces of squid everyday.

cool! they're so pretty! piccys?

Dude in the 8 th or 9 th pic right after your mandarin pics... is that not your clown fish dead in your powerhead....it looks like its sucked into the eductor side...maybe its just me but from the pic it looks like you got a dead player on the field...

thanks yoshi (:

so how are you training it?

pics

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC02731.jpg

I dont wanna shock anyone but i think you have a nutrient issue... if fish are dying and your having algae issue which it looks like... and theres such a thing as too much water changes...i once knew a chp that wopuld never keep his hands out fo the tank...whether it was aquascaping coral re organiziation or sand stirring to get settiment of the bed... he always asked me why do my shrimp and fragile fish never seem to last ... I bet him 200.00 that he couldn't keep his hand out of the tank for two month's..other than necessary reasons rock slides corals falling down, spot feeding...and guess what i lost two hundered bux.. but that wasnt my moral of the story, he was on his thrid mandarin, about tenth shrimp..for the two monthes nothing died, corals flourished, shrimp molted several times over...the tank was like it never had been...its tough to resist the urge to tinker but that's the worse thing that you can do to a fragile nano... remember you dont have the water volume to compensate for sudden changes.....the second piece of advice I can give you is take all those shells , all of them put them in a shallow cup and place the cup ( preffereabley porcelain) and set it on the sand bed...dont worry it will only be there for a day or two..this will allow all the live cuc to escape and continue there duty... the rest that are more than likely dead or gone to be removed...dont worry about your growing hermits not having a place to live, you can scatter a few of them around for them...A FEW..now if everything climbs out of the cup then you have a probelm.. cause if all those shells house some form of a cuc memeber your bio load is causing all the nutrient issues.. and if those shells all house a member of the cuc then you need to get a bigger tank....thats way to many.... WAY to many..thirdly ... am i the only one who subrcibes to the carpet anemone theory that it will eat anything and grow to the size of a man hole cover, even a mini will grow pretty large let alone mutliples....and besides dont they eat things like ...hhhmmm anything...I dunno i watched my friend keep some once and it ate everything that came near it.. and got huge... and one more thing arent anenomes pretty hard on bioload.. if i remeber right.. i probably am mistaken never been a bta or carpet fan...they just have a tendency to do damage when they melt...or worse split asexually... any way i may get flammed for all of this but ... just trying to help you and keep your lfs from getting rich off you .....remember when dealing with fish stores .. there in business to make money not have you r tank filled with a few ehalthy fish and reef safe inverts...I have watched many lfs sell stuff that is innappropriate for for reef tanks small or large just to get some moeny in the shop....

marinebiologist
Dude in the 8 th or 9 th pic right after your mandarin pics... is that not your clown fish dead in your powerhead....it looks like its sucked into the eductor side...maybe its just me but from the pic it looks like you got a dead player on the field...

haha, no the clownfish is fine, shes hosting the anemone now. she likes swimming near the power head sometimes and against the flow.

Edit: It actually looks like she is in the middle of the tank and its just an optical illusion basically

marinebiologist
I dont wanna shock anyone but i think you have a nutrient issue... if fish are dying and your having algae issue which it looks like... and theres such a thing as too much water changes...i once knew a chp that wopuld never keep his hands out fo the tank...whether it was aquascaping coral re organiziation or sand stirring to get settiment of the bed... he always asked me why do my shrimp and fragile fish never seem to last ... I bet him 200.00 that he couldn't keep his hand out of the tank for two month's..other than necessary reasons rock slides corals falling down, spot feeding...and guess what i lost two hundered bux.. but that wasnt my moral of the story, he was on his thrid mandarin, about tenth shrimp..for the two monthes nothing died, corals flourished, shrimp molted several times over...the tank was like it never had been...its tough to resist the urge to tinker but that's the worse thing that you can do to a fragile nano... remember you dont have the water volume to compensate for sudden changes.....the second piece of advice I can give you is take all those shells , all of them put them in a shallow cup and place the cup ( preffereabley porcelain) and set it on the sand bed...dont worry it will only be there for a day or two..this will allow all the live cuc to escape and continue there duty... the rest that are more than likely dead or gone to be removed...dont worry about your growing hermits not having a place to live, you can scatter a few of them around for them...A FEW..now if everything climbs out of the cup then you have a probelm.. cause if all those shells house some form of a cuc memeber your bio load is causing all the nutrient issues.. and if those shells all house a member of the cuc then you need to get a bigger tank....thats way to many.... WAY to many..thirdly ... am i the only one who subrcibes to the carpet anemone theory that it will eat anything and grow to the size of a man hole cover, even a mini will grow pretty large let alone mutliples....and besides dont they eat things like ...hhhmmm anything...I dunno i watched my friend keep some once and it ate everything that came near it.. and got huge... and one more thing arent anenomes pretty hard on bioload.. if i remeber right.. i probably am mistaken never been a bta or carpet fan...they just have a tendency to do damage when they melt...or worse split asexually... any way i may get flammed for all of this but ... just trying to help you and keep your lfs from getting rich off you .....remember when dealing with fish stores .. there in business to make money not have you r tank filled with a few ehalthy fish and reef safe inverts...I have watched many lfs sell stuff that is innappropriate for for reef tanks small or large just to get some moeny in the shop....

Thank you for your concern but first of all the only fish that has died in the past 7 months or so is the mandarin only because i couldnt get him trained on frozen food. As for the algae, my tank had crashed around August of last year because i was on vacation and everything had died except for the gold banded clown which i have had for about a year and a half now. So i was really upset and i just sort of stopped caring for the tank till this summer and i wanted to clean it up, and make it a reef tank again, so i bought the CUC and most of them are alive but ill do what you suggested, thats a good idea. And the anemone, yes it is a big bioload, but if it gets too big for my tank ill just end up selling it, but for now my clown is hosting it and appears to be really happy.

Archived