Pod Your Reef

Get me ready for a maxima

imkevin20

yeah i dont see the point of putting a clam in the top part of your tank, the prettiest part and the part everyone wants to look at is the top, so if you put it at the top you'll never see it unless you are looking down into the tank and with the surface agitation off too, so its clear. IMO get the proper lighting so that it can be put lower so you can enjoy the clam. yes t5 are good, but you have a 18k bulb and an actinic bulb which doesnt count towards it. so really youve got 24 watts also its 18k.

I agree. Also, intentionally placing the clam higher up pretty much tells you that lighting is not enough. I have a 6x24w t5 ho light and I think this is a bare minimum.

Dosing anything in a nano is completely unnecessary, and could cause chemical "crashes". In anything 25 gallons or under, just perform a 50%+ (I prefer 100%) water changes weekly. All of your dosing problems disappear... :)

Your lighting should be fine, depending on the location of the clam. I have a blue maxima in a 9 gallon aqua medic showing excellent growth under 48 watts.

I agree. Also, intentionally placing the clam higher up pretty much tells you that lighting is not enough. I have a 6x24w t5 ho light and I think this is a bare minimum.

"Intentionally placing the clam higher up" happens to be exactly what happens in the wild...you don't see maximas growing in the sand at 50 feet, you see them on rocks growing in the intertidal zones in 5 feet.

Dosing anything in a nano is completely unnecessary, and could cause chemical "crashes". In anything 25 gallons or under, just perform a 50%+ (I prefer 100%) water changes weekly. All of your dosing problems disappear... :)

"Intentionally placing the clam higher up" happens to be exactly what happens in the wild...you don't see maximas growing in the sand at 50 feet, you see them on rocks growing in the intertidal zones in 5 feet.

i agree with the dosing thing in nanos just do water changes.

and im not talking about where they are in the wild im talking about having them at home and looking at them. its a little different when you go out to buy something so you can look at it.

you have a 18k bulb and an actinic bulb which doesnt count towards it. so really youve got 24 watts also its 18k.

doesn't count towards what?

Dosing anything in a nano is completely unnecessary, and could cause chemical "crashes". In anything 25 gallons or under, just perform a 50%+ (I prefer 100%) water changes weekly. All of your dosing problems disappear... :).

not true in all cases. Many, sure. But not all.

Archived