Top Shelf Aquatics

Get me ready for a maxima

imkevin20

I've always wanted to keep one, and keep it healthy and thriving. I'm not into guessing or hoping a fish or coral will stay happy or healthy. I want to know it will be.

My tank is at 5 months now, I've read alot so far, and I'm coming up on my 6 month mark soon, when that moment comes I'm going to start shopping til I find the right one.

I want to know if my lighting is going to be suitable for one thing. I've been on top of testing weekly this month and making sure params. are staying in order so I dont think that will be a problem.

I have 48watts of T5 lighting, 18k and actinic bulbs. Is that going to be good or should I consider an upgrade before getting the clam. If I place him in the sand bed he will be 8 inches from the lights.

I've also read about the clams consuming cal. alot, should I start dosing cal. when I add him to the tank in order to keep things in balance?

And is there anything else to take into account before making the purchase?

Your lighting power is more than enough for a Maxima. However you may want a bit more white light in there. Just for color and growth.

Do not start dosing Ca without testing for it. Start by getting a Ca test kit and testing for about 2 weeks every day. When your Ca drops below 400 add Ca according to dosing instructions. Also monitor your dKH aka Alkalinity. Make sure it stays at 8 or above.

If its a small tank consider using B-Ionic or similar two part system. If its a larger tank then take a look at bulk reef supply for bulk orders of Ca and Alk solution.

Your lighting power is more than enough for a Maxima. However you may want a bit more white light in there. Just for color and growth.

Do not start dosing Ca without testing for it. Start by getting a Ca test kit and testing for about 2 weeks every day. When your Ca drops below 400 add Ca according to dosing instructions. Also monitor your dKH aka Alkalinity. Make sure it stays at 8 or above.

If its a small tank consider using B-Ionic or similar two part system. If its a larger tank then take a look at bulk reef supply for bulk orders of Ca and Alk solution.

Okay, I'll go ahead and pick up some test kits and the chems. while im out today, I live an hour and a half from my LFS so I tend to stock way ahead of time.

My tank is a 10g and is 10" tall if I remember correctly.

48W is enough for a maxima?

What do you consider enough? As much as I have read I never saw anything about wattage for clams, just what kind of lighting was best.

I have 48watts of T5 lighting, 18k and actinic bulbs. Is that going to be good or should I consider an upgrade before getting the clam. If I place him in the sand bed he will be 8 inches from the lights.

Ok , now Uh stated that this would be enough this is true wit sitpulations. What type of T-5 fixture do you have? Does it have Slr's? This is very important. For this can give the same wattage alot more out put.

It seems the FAQ and the link your provided are giving me different data. The FAQ says that T5 is the minimum and suitable for clams, while the link you gave me says that MH in 150w is practically the only way to go.

Since I'm just a college student I don't really think shelling out a few hundred for MH would be in my budget, although I won't get a clam at all if I can't support it.

Are there any people here that have thriving clams under T-5 lighting? If so I'd like to know their setups and how far from the lights their clams are so I could replicate that.

Well clams under T5's is no biggie at all.

The problem is with your fixture, and possibly the bulbs also. What brand are they? Is the PAR output from the bulbs high?

I don't think that fixture has individually contoured reflectors, either.

I have a TEK 4x24w over my 12" deep tank, and I have an enormous maxima.

First off, what and how would I find the PAR output.

The bulbs are GLO as well as the fixture. The fixture has one reflector but I'm very DIY oriented so I bet I could mod it to house 2 individual reflectors. That would be beneficial overall for corals as well as clams.

I just don't thimk 48 watts is going to be enough, your call though.

Just found this link, it shows where a person did some light readings with a meter. They had the PC light upgrade from nano-tuners, the 144 watt kit. It seems keeping a clam under this set-up is possible if the clam is placed near the top.

Here is the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1540075

I just don't thimk 48 watts is going to be enough, your call though.

Just found this link, it shows where a person did some light readings with a meter. They had the PC light upgrade from nano-tuners, the 144 watt kit. It seems keeping a clam under this set-up is possible if the clam is placed near the top.

Here is the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1540075

After reading everything I'm thinking twice about it with just the 48 watts as well. I may wait and drop the extra cash on an MH fixture when I upgrade to a 20tall and move everything over to that.

While I respect Urchinhead, I have to respectfully disagree. Croceas and Maximas are more light demanding clams. Here is a sticky for you to read on light requirements for clams:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114475

Also, near the top of this very page is a FAQ on clam requirements.

Cheers mate. All due respect to you and to Ez. That information is wrong. And Ez and I have gone round and round on this very subject to the point where we agree to disagree.

While they are the most light demanding it is quite possible to have a Crocea and/or Maxima under T5 lighting. Even crappy T5 lighting. It all comes down to where in the tank the clam is. In this case I would recommend that you keep the clam as close to the top 10% of the tank as possible and as directly under the fixture as possible.

no offense intended at all, but honestly, if you haven't read or done enough research to be able to answer these questions yourself, you're not ready for a maxima or crocea. lighting is key, and yours is insufficient.

Just my experience ...

I have (2) Maximas and a Squamosa under (1) 54w 10K and (1) 54w actinic -T5, but they are individual reflector, set about 4" off the surface, and the tank is a 30G long ( 48" x 12" x 12") is only 12" deep.

I agree, get more than enough light for either crocea or maxima. In my opinion haveing plenty of light on clams helps cover you against slight water quality issues, I think if the clam is not stressed in the light department they are more tolerant of less than perfect water. That said I'm a professional at being wrong.

I've always wanted to keep one, and keep it healthy and thriving. I'm not into guessing or hoping a fish or coral will stay happy or healthy. I want to know it will be.

My tank is at 5 months now, I've read alot so far, and I'm coming up on my 6 month mark soon, when that moment comes I'm going to start shopping til I find the right one.

I want to know if my lighting is going to be suitable for one thing. I've been on top of testing weekly this month and making sure params. are staying in order so I dont think that will be a problem.

I've also read about the clams consuming cal. alot, should I start dosing cal. when I add him to the tank in order to keep things in balance?

And is there anything else to take into account before making the purchase?

You should have 4 bulbs instead of 2. That lighting is still very weak.

no offense intended at all, but honestly, if you haven't read or done enough research to be able to answer these questions yourself, you're not ready for a maxima or crocea. lighting is key, and yours is insufficient.

Ditto on offense but you are mistaken. That light is sufficient if the clam is placed correctly.

After reading everything I'm thinking twice about it with just the 48 watts as well. I may wait and drop the extra cash on an MH fixture when I upgrade to a 20tall and move everything over to that.

I think this is a better plan.

As you can see by the adamant disagreement between the members here, there is no "correct" answer. There will be better chances, and worse chances.

All in all, your question was reasonable and valid as well. It is my opinion that waiting for a higher-output T5 fixture or MH would be a safer plan, with a much greater chance of success for a maxima.

Good luck.

Ditto on offense but you are mistaken. That light is sufficient if the clam is placed correctly.

and, once again, no offense...but you sir, are on crack.

http://www.fishneedit.com/new-light.html

If you don't want to wait... this is a decent fixture w/ reflector...for under 100 buxs shipped...gives you 9.6 w/gal of intense T5HO lighting

Go with two 10K bulbs and two actinic bulbs

gives you enough lights for your tank... and you can keep your clam...

Get rid of the GLO... they are mainly made for Fish only tank... or Freshwater plants/fish....

Either way before you even go to a 20 gallon set up.. I would just get a switch now so the inhabitants in your tanks currently will be happy....

The above fixture is good enough for a 20 gallon tank as well...until you can up grade to MH....

yeah i dont see the point of putting a clam in the top part of your tank, the prettiest part and the part everyone wants to look at is the top, so if you put it at the top you'll never see it unless you are looking down into the tank and with the surface agitation off too, so its clear. IMO get the proper lighting so that it can be put lower so you can enjoy the clam. yes t5 are good, but you have a 18k bulb and an actinic bulb which doesnt count towards it. so really youve got 24 watts also its 18k.

Archived