SaltCritters.com

Training & Feeding a Mandarin

Khayman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update Week 4

The Mandarine is still eating, also appears to be doing great. She is more active and is seen more often though she keeps to the rock-work and caves. She looks for the Diner and the pod ruble (Pod condo).

I have started moving the 'pod condo' and the 'diner' to different locations to be sure she is looking for them for food. She always finds them and eats like a little pig.

As a side note my ammonias spiked the Mandarine and all other fish survived seemingly unchanged. I did loose a few corals. I have shrunk the door to the 'diner' so that there is less food dumped into the aquarium while she eats. The ammonia is back down from 4ppm to 1ppm and I have used ammonia block.

A quick Edit. The system is now reading zero ammonia

Week 5

Mandarine is eating fine. She and the dotty-back are both using the "Diner". The Pod condos are still in operation and seem to be keeping the pod population up. I also discovered that the live brine I have been culturing were the cause the of the ammonia spike in my tank. The feeding of live brine has been reduced from once every 3 days to once every 7 days and the ammonia has dropped to 0 again.

Also as a side note the Mandarine and the Dotty back are often seen swimming together.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 6

The Mandarin is now excepting Pellets along with the frozen shrimp out of the little "Diner". Do to the fact that I moving in mid March I have decided to stop the Pod feeding. I have to move the Pod culture tank this weekend along with some of my other aquariums and accessories. I will however still be adding pods to the tank from the Zoo2 bottle that I have.

I am unsure if anyone is still following this thread. I do hope that this information will help people with the decisions to purchase this little fish in the future.

Some of the things I have run into are as follows. I believe I have a ammonia spike do to the amount of food I was adding to feed the Mandarin. I have switched to more frequent feedings in much smaller amounts. The mandarin is fed with the “Dinner” every day. Pods are added once per week. I find the supplemented pods do not survive long once they are introduced to the system. Acclimating these tiny animals is very difficult. I am currently culturing a lot of the pods and they do well in their little tank. Once added to the aquarium for feeding they are dying off within a day. I can only surmise that this is an acclimation problem. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it. Also I know they are dying by examining a water sample under a microscope.

Some of you may ask what the "Dinner" is. I got this idea from StevieT's thread. What it is a small jar that I place in the aquarium with food inside for the aquarium. This process keeps the food isolated for the Mandarin and keeps the other fish out. Well it keeps the Clown Fish out the dottyback feeds in the dinner with the mandarin all the time. As I have stated before the mandarin and the Dotty seem to be very friendly with each other.

I like the idea of the rubble towers. However I picture about 12 of them in a fuge with a DSB or the fuge mud and some cheato. Seeding the fuge until the population in the fuge is so big that they are flooding into the main tank by the hundreds. Then I would add the mandarin. I think this is what I'll try. It'll probably take a year though to establish that many pods. Also, intersting prior post about your pods being cold water genus.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 7

I am sorry that week sevens report is late. The feeding is proceeding very well. The Mandarin is noticeably larger than it was in the beginning. She has lengthened and fattened up a little.

Though I will say she is not as rolly-polly looking as the male Mandarins I have seen on here. Does anyone have any input on this. Does the female of this species stay slimmer?

SeeDemTails

You have to post pics if you expect any kind of credibility from this crowd.

You could still save yourself all that hassel and just target feed. After you have kept them for a couple your you might figure that out!

prestage3ek
Oh I could be a lot more rude than that :lol:

I just felt it was important to put it all in perspective.

That's such a weak and pathetic saying. I'm glad to say my mother never told me that. It doesn't hurt to get a little criticism every now and then instead of sailing through life blind thinking you're doing it all great.

notagain-1.jpg

Week 8 & 9

As a few of you may know I moved and so the aquarium moved also. The mandarin is doing ok. She did stop eating for two days but as of this morning she is eating again. I believe it was the stress of the move that made her stop eating. I will say that after 2 days without eating she is looking a little thin and I was getting worried. I will keep you all posted on her recovery.

I should have some new pictures of her once I unpack my Camera. :P

####ing pictures or your are still lying like earlier

Interesting Green when did I ever lie?

Also when are you going to ever show proof that you have any idea what you are talking about? Like I have stated in the past I have read all your posts on NR and it seems all you do is criticise, but show no proof of your so called expertise in this hobby. To this point I have been told by many NR to ignore you and your unfounded criticisms.

Also as I stated I would post some new pictures once my camera is unpacked. Also for all others who only feel they should criticise this thread. Why do you all seem so threatened? Is it because a novice at this hobby (Me) has succeeded where you all have failed? If this is the case why not be happy that I have found a way to keep an animal alive and happy. Many of you claim to have all the knowledge, but not one of you who criticise me ever offer constructive criticisms. You all state, "It will die" but never offer any advice. Is this possibly because you have all failed time and again and have given up?

I also find it funny that many of you stated in the beginning that unless the Mandarin lives for 6 months in my tank that this would mean I have failed. I find it interesting that as the weeks pass by and this mandarin survives and eats happily at both my "Pod Condo" and the "Dinner" (Ty SteevieT), you seem to get more agitated. Why is this? Why not be happy and offer some words of encouragement? Also as a side note she now eats pellets.

In this Hobby I found that like in life allot is based on luck. Perhaps I have been lucky and I have purchased a very hardy Mandarin. Or maybe all the research I did on the little fish before I purchased her is paying off.

Also as far as these being a hard fish to keep what I can say at this point after 9 weeks is as follows:

- She has survived for 9 weeks and is still alive. Many of you stated you would be surprised if it lived more than 2 –3 weeks.

- The Mandarin has lived through an ammonia spike of 8ppm. (Nothing died in the spike except a emerald crab)

- I have had a power outage that lasted 2 days “The Mandarin” survived.

- I moved and she was bagged for over 2 hours before she was re-introduced into the aquarium. She did stop eating for 2 days but has since started eating again.

Also as a wired side note she and my Orchid Dottyback seem to have paired up or something. They are often found swimming together in the day. Also they sleep in the same cave with each other. Has anyone else ever witnessed this kind of behaviour?

Week 10

She is still alive and eating well. As I stated in the previous weeks post I was a little worried after the move she stopped eating. Well she has plumped back up and is looking great again.

Also I have unpacked my Camera and here the requested Pictures

Enjoy :P

post-39211-1238164363_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164369_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164375_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164388_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164393_thumb.jpg

post-39211-1238164382_thumb.jpg

Interesting Green when did I ever lie?

Also when are you going to ever show proof that you have any idea what you are talking about? Like I have stated in the past I have read all your posts on NR and it seems all you do is criticise, but show no proof of your so called expertise in this hobby. To this point I have been told by many NR to ignore you and your unfounded criticisms.

Also as I stated I would post some new pictures once my camera is unpacked. Also for all others who only feel they should criticise this thread. Why do you all seem so threatened? Is it because a novice at this hobby (Me) has succeeded where you all have failed? If this is the case why not be happy that I have found a way to keep an animal alive and happy. Many of you claim to have all the knowledge, but not one of you who criticise me ever offer constructive criticisms. You all state, "It will die" but never offer any advice. Is this possibly because you have all failed time and again and have given up?

I also find it funny that many of you stated in the beginning that unless the Mandarin lives for 6 months in my tank that this would mean I have failed. I find it interesting that as the weeks pass by and this mandarin survives and eats happily at both my "Pod Condo" and the "Dinner" (Ty SteevieT), you seem to get more agitated. Why is this? Why not be happy and offer some words of encouragement? Also as a side note she now eats pellets.

In this Hobby I found that like in life allot is based on luck. Perhaps I have been lucky and I have purchased a very hardy Mandarin. Or maybe all the research I did on the little fish before I purchased her is paying off.

Also as far as these being a hard fish to keep what I can say at this point after 9 weeks is as follows:

- She has survived for 9 weeks and is still alive. Many of you stated you would be surprised if it lived more than 2 –3 weeks.

- The Mandarin has lived through an ammonia spike of 8ppm. (Nothing died in the spike except a emerald crab)

- I have had a power outage that lasted 2 days “The Mandarin” survived.

- I moved and she was bagged for over 2 hours before she was re-introduced into the aquarium. She did stop eating for 2 days but has since started eating again.

Also as a wired side note she and my Orchid Dottyback seem to have paired up or something. They are often found swimming together in the day. Also they sleep in the same cave with each other. Has anyone else ever witnessed this kind of behaviour?

Ask about his sloppy joe's............they are delicious!

Ethiopian Mandarin? It looks kinda skinny =/ MO PODS MO MYSIS!!

Week 10

She is still alive and eating well. As I stated in the previous weeks post I was a little worried after the move she stopped eating. Well she has plumped back up and is looking great again.

Also I have unpacked my Camera and here the requested Pictures

Enjoy :P

post-39211-1238164363_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164369_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164375_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164388_thumb.jpg post-39211-1238164393_thumb.jpg

SeeDemTails

Yeah your fish is quite skinny. Awesome fail, thanks to you people dont take people like me seriously with ACTUAL success and good pics to prove it. Get off your soap box, you never had the right to make this thread.

9 weeks? GMAFB. Come back after two years.

For reference this is what a healthy female Mandarin looks like.

DSC01639.JPG

I don't understand why your fish is so skinny if its been eating all this time? Shouldn't it have plumped up by now?

Is there something wrong with Mandarins that if they stop eating for a bit they can never recover, even if they start eating again?

I don't understand why your fish is so skinny if its been eating all this time? Shouldn't it have plumped up by now?

Is there something wrong with Mandarins that if they stop eating for a bit they can never recover, even if they start eating again?

The same way I weighed 150 pounds in high school even though I ate fast food all the time. Fast metabolism.

Back on topic, your mandarin looks ok, not great though. However, this pod hotel might be a nice source of food for less demanding fish. I'm considering doing it if I decide to get a rainford goby.

Yeah your fish is quite skinny. Awesome fail, thanks to you people dont take people like me seriously with ACTUAL success and good pics to prove it. Get off your soap box, you never had the right to make this thread.

9 weeks? GMAFB. Come back after two years.

For reference this is what a healthy female Mandarin looks like.

DSC01639.JPG

Hello

As for her being a little thin, I did say she stopped eating after the move. She is now eating again and filling out. A day or 2 before these pictures she was even thinner. Also I see you Mandarin is a male or I think I see its spike. Since you are so well versed in Mandarins you of course know that the female of the species are smaller and less robust.

Hello everyone

To all that had some positive comments I do thank you. I know she still looks a little thin but she is filling back out. Also the pictures are a bit deceiving of her size. My Mandarin is only about 1" to 1.5" she is still small. I will keep you all posted on a weekly basis as I have been doing.

On a side not even if she dies I will still let you all know.

To all of you with negative comments and you all know who you are. You are the same negative people I have seen on many other forums about this little fish. It seems whenever any decides to get a Mandarin you are always there to call them down. My little Mandarin has now lived for over 10 weeks. I know you all say "6 months until success" so let just skip the "Get back to us in 6 months". All I want to say is try being a little helpful instead of so negative. If you feel your methods are I successful than mine why not try and impart some of your knowledge.

Constructive criticisms are always more accepted then comments such as “FAIL”

Hello

As for her being a little thin, I did say she stopped eating after the move. She is now eating again and filling out. A day or 2 before these pictures she was even thinner. Also I see you Mandarin is a male or I think I see its spike.

No. It's a female. Both male and female have a dorsal fin, but in the male has a longer one (which you called a 'spike'). From that angle it is difficult to say. I believe she has another thread where its paired with a male.

Since you are so well versed in Mandarins you of course know that the female of the species are smaller and less robust

Thats a pretty bold statement to make without presenting evidence. The females are smaller, but that doesn't necessarily make them less robust. Though I haven't seen any real research on the topic, they may tend to take frozen food more readily. From the limited number of success stories I've read about this seems to be case.

I do wish you and your fish the best of luck. Even my clowns get noticeably skinner when I don't feed them for a couple of days. However the "updates" aren't particularly useful. I would just respond the questions posted on the thread instead of trying to prove a point prematurely. Wait till the 6 month mark and give us a picture of your healthy mandarin. At this stage we've all just seen a picture of a skinny mandarin at 10 weeks. Even someone not actively feeding the fish would get the same results. Don't take that comment the wrong way...best of luck.

Archived