Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Could a Clownfish live comfortably in a 6 or 8 gallon tank?

humatrigger

you clearly are not familiar with the other questions he has asked...repeatedly

I read his other threads before posting. I have no problem telling him the same thing multiple times. If that is a problem then I suggest that you allow others to follow up with the same advise. You have given your opinion and he still wants more. Unfortunately, In a community forum you need to allow others to back you up in order for your comments to appear credible. I feel the best thing for an inexperienced reefer to do is to ask questions of veterans. What better way then these forums?

Humatrigger. You're repeated asking of these questions is pretty disturbing. I believe you need to stop thinking about your own wishes and desires and take time to realize that these are lives you're playing around with. When your tank crashes and these fish and coral die, you can always buy another one. However, those animals you lost will never have another chance. They'll be gone because you're foolish mistakes. You need to take time to plan out your budget, focus on how you will keep these animals alive. Buy the best that you can and make sure the environment will suit them. Always stock your tank within its limits please. By overstocking your tank it shows a conscious decision to place these animals in danger. Which is unacceptable.

Edited by ajroy03
  • 12 years later...

HI, I apologize for bringing up an old thread about stocking a tank. I have an 8.5 Aqueon cube with 2 more weeks of cycling. I have used Dr. Tim's One And Only to speed up the process. The ammonia is declining (now a mild mint color) and the nutrifying bacteria is doing it's work with the nitrites converting to nitrates. I'm also for the time being using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer for salinity holding steady at 1.023. 

I have 20 lbs of live Caribsea sand with about 5 lbs of skeleton coral and dry, base rock. I'm running a 100 gph basic,  HOB Aqueon pump with a preset to 78 heater. I did try a wavemaker but the tank is too small and it was blowing the sand around. I do have decent top flow with the filter. Ideally I would love a pair of clowns and maybe an invert. According to this thread, my ideal fish is not the case. 

Can you recommend a nice fish and an invert as a solo, clean up guy for this small tank. I'm really not fond of Gobies. My LFS store guy said if I purchase clowns, he will certainly trade them at adulthood for smaller ones but I kind of bond with my fish. I'm a first time reefer but I do have a 1,000 gallon koi pond and a 29 gallon tank with a pair of parrot cichlids and also a 10 gallon, tropical with a school of Dayglo Tetras. I'm well experienced with tropical but a marine tank is a whole new animal. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 11.03.21 AM.png

filefishfinatic
21 minutes ago, DebraLV said:

HI, I apologize for bringing up an old thread about stocking a tank. I have an 8.5 Aqueon cube with 2 more weeks of cycling. I have used Dr. Tim's One And Only to speed up the process. The ammonia is declining (now a mild mint color) and the nutrifying bacteria is doing it's work with the nitrites converting to nitrates. I'm also for the time being using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer for salinity holding steady at 1.023. 

I have 20 lbs of live Caribsea sand with about 5 lbs of skeleton coral and dry, base rock. I'm running a 100 gph basic,  HOB Aqueon pump with a preset to 78 heater. I did try a wavemaker but the tank is too small and it was blowing the sand around. I do have decent top flow with the filter. Ideally I would love a pair of clowns and maybe an invert. According to this thread, my ideal fish is not the case. 

Can you recommend a nice fish and an invert as a solo, clean up guy for this small tank. I'm really not fond of Gobies. My LFS store guy said if I purchase clowns, he will certainly trade them at adulthood for smaller ones but I kind of bond with my fish. I'm a first time reefer but I do have a 1,000 gallon koi pond and a 29 gallon tank with a pair of parrot cichlids and also a 10 gallon, tropical with a school of Dayglo Tetras. I'm well experienced with tropical but a marine tank is a whole new animal. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 11.03.21 AM.png

remove those fake corals. get gulf live rock for inverts and get a sandfish. small hardy good solo fish. get macroalgae also. get a digiten ato and upgrade your light too. 

1 hour ago, filefishfinatic said:

skunk clowns can 

Thanks, I was just googling them, they grow to about 4 inches. Wouldn't they be the same adult size as a "Nemo" clown? They are pretty fish though. If I go by the "old school" method of 2 gallons per inch of fish...would two adult clowns be sufficient for an 8.5 gallon tank?

2 minutes ago, DebraLV said:

Thanks, I was just googling them, they grow to about 4 inches. Wouldn't they be the same adult size as a "Nemo" clown? They are pretty fish though. If I go by the "old school" method of 2 gallons per inch of fish...would two adult clowns be sufficient for an 8.5 gallon tank?

I had 2 clowns in a 10G for over 10 years. This is copied from the link I provided earlier.

6-7g (~26.5 L) (Includes 6g Fluval Edge, 7g Minibow, 6g Eclipse, 6g CPR, 6g Nano Cube, 8g Aquawave) (1-2 fish)

Note: Keep in mind that the display area of all-in-one tanks hold less water than the total tank since some of that water is in the filtration area. When picking out fish, pick fish based on the display area volume, not the total tank volume.

• All of the above plus:
    -Ocellaris Clownfish (False Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)
    -Percula Clownfish (True Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, filefishfinatic said:

remove those fake corals. get gulf live rock for inverts and get a sandfish. small hardy good solo fish. get macroalgae also. get a digiten ato and upgrade your light too. 

Thank you, I was thinking of the lighting. I currently have 9 small LED lights built into the lid. My LFS said lighting is just for visual please except if I have corals. I have no clue as to the wattage or even if LED lights go by wattage. It was originally an Aqueon shrimp tank but I cleaned it up really well and it dried for a week in full sun. I looked at sandfish, they remind of a reptile. I don't know if I would like that. 

That's actually skeleton and mushroom coral. I brought them back from Hawaii on the plane many years ago before it was prohibited. Should I still remove the and just leave base rock? 

1 minute ago, PeterU said:

I had 2 clowns in a 10G for over 10 years. This is copied from the link I provided earlier.

6-7g (~26.5 L) (Includes 6g Fluval Edge, 7g Minibow, 6g Eclipse, 6g CPR, 6g Nano Cube, 8g Aquawave) (1-2 fish)

Note: Keep in mind that the display area of all-in-one tanks hold less water than the total tank since some of that water is in the filtration area. When picking out fish, pick fish based on the display area volume, not the total tank volume.

• All of the above plus:
    -Ocellaris Clownfish (False Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)
    -Percula Clownfish (True Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)

Got it. Thanks! I'll look into other types, other then my dream clownfish. I do want something with color. If it has to be just one fish, I was thinking of an emerald crab for clean up and to keep the one fish company. Thanks for all your help guys (or gals)

filefishfinatic
16 hours ago, DebraLV said:

yes they get like 2 inches you could have a pair. its more about agression then actual space because they are site oriented. they do much better with bubble tip anenomes but you have to upgrade your light to like a aquaknight or something to keep one alive. also you should get a aquaclear 20. aqueon products (except their heater and their aquariums are usually very underpowered for most tanks, especially reef tanks.