Innovative Marine Aquariums

Could a Clownfish live comfortably in a 6 or 8 gallon tank?

humatrigger

I really want a Nano Cube or a Biocube because I like the all in one features but can only afford the smallest ones, could a clownfish live comfortably in a 6 Gallon Nano Cube or an 8 Gallon Biocube?

Edited by humatrigger

You've already received advice, why start another thread? But, for a newbie, I would not recommend a single clown in anything less than a 10.

Edit: Changed my mind.

Edited by Scott Riemer

Depends on the type of clownfish and the style of the system. I would also say no because AIO cubes tend to lack on everything that has been built into them for a saltwater tank system IME. Alot of people here will tell you to go for it as they have done it...

I would say look into a nano goby of some sort (trimma, evo, GBG etc) and be done with it.

for the price of the biocube 8. You could get the slightly bigger aquapod. It has better lighting & is a bigger tank size.

A clown will be happy in there. HOWEVER! As stated before. get a 10g aga with the simple 50/50 bulb, sand & rock. Be done with it.

burtbollinger

bro, we've told you the deal on your other thread, no need to start another....trying to get advice you WANT to hear. No clown in a 6...I say 10g....and then only 1. Please reread the posts on your other forum you created earlier.

and look, its not random jackasses telling you to stop and reassess...its hardcore guys that know the deal. Please stop looking for advice that agrees with your preconcieved notions and pocketbook.

And BTW, a local fish store will tell you anything...especially in this economy.

EDIT: Here you straight up say you can't afford this. So please....just stop for now. Or get a credit card if you can. Do what you gotta and pay it off....but do not be a punk and torture and kill animals. Becuase despite your best intentions and good heart, if you go against the advice youve gotten here, and treat a percula clownfish like a 5 cent goldfish, you'd be a jerk in my book.

Please...see the advice I have given you in the other thread...there is no reason for rushing this.

Edited by burtbollinger

I had a clown living in an 8oz cup for 47 yrs, I say go for it!

I agree, it seems your just waiting for someone to tell you yes when 10 people have already told you no. Check out a pistol shrimp/goby combo, I think you might like that and it will fit your tank size

bro, we've told you the deal on your other thread, no need to start another....trying to get advice you WANT to hear. No clown in a 6...I say 10g....and then only 1. Please reread the posts on your other forum you created earlier.

and look, its not random jackasses telling you to stop and reassess...its hardcore guys that know the deal. Please stop looking for advice that agrees with your preconcieved notions and pocketbook.

And BTW, a local fish store will tell you anything...especially in this economy.

EDIT: Here you straight up say you can't afford this. So please....just stop for now. Or get a credit card if you can. Do what you gotta and pay it off....but do not be a punk and torture and kill animals. Becuase despite your best intentions and good heart, if you go against the advice youve gotten here, and treat a percula clownfish like a 5 cent goldfish, you'd be a jerk in my book.

Please...see the advice I have given you in the other thread...there is no reason for rushing this.

I was getting a tank from my mom but I am going to pitch in some money to get a bigger tank.

I would have to agree with these guys, I have a 12g Cadlights with a pair of Ocellaris(sp), and I think I'm pushing my limits. Besides clowns just don't look right as singles. Just wait a while and save for a tank of 12+ gallons. The price of the tank setup is right now (2 months in) about 1/3 of my total expenditures thus far, so don't skimp on your tank thinking your going to save money it really doesn't work that way. If you really want to keep a clown(s) buy your tank with that thought in mind don't get what you can afford NOW and force a square peg through a round hole. While your waiting, read and read on the forums, books, etc, etc. it will save you some time, money and frustration. This hobby requires some early on success or it will become a former hobby.

Hmmm. I don't think telling him to leave would be the right thing. The more he posts the more he will learn. (Whether or not he wants to is beside the point). This is a community of people from all levels and he obviously just needs more input.

Anyways, the tank you would like is too small. Maybe the members here could direct you to some budget based threads for some ideas you could incorporate into a larger more adequate system.

No clown.

Try a goby! Smaller, less swimming room needed.

If you there is an issue affording an 8 gallon tank versus a 14 gallon tank (only $40 more for the Biocube from drsfostersmith.com), then perhaps this isn't an appropriate hobby for your budget.

There are many costs to consider, such as sand, live rock, test kits, salt mix, filter media, etc., and you might not be planning your budget very well. This is a good thing to learn though, so sit down with your mom and make sure you're planning everything.

Good luck!

burtbollinger

i agree about not telling him to leave....i hope he would stay and get use out of this wonderful forum...

that said, it is annoying to watch him start 3 forums about the same thing....and appearing to totally ignore helpful advice...

either tank your looking at is going to end up costing about $400-500 when its all said and done. If you can pay that, keep learning. I aggree as well, you should go with a goby, even if you get a clown in a slightly larger tank, its not gonna be fun to watch him swim in a tiny circle since he has no room to move, they get to be 3 inches long, bigger depending on the type. Get yourself a small goby that looks like it belongs in that enviornment and mabye an invert or 2. You will like the look of simple vs overcrowded anyways. BTW I doubt ur mom is ready to dish out $500 on a temp hoby for ya, but thats JMO

Hmmm. I don't think telling him to leave would be the right thing. The more he posts the more he will learn. (Whether or not he wants to is beside the point). This is a community of people from all levels and he obviously just needs more input.

Anyways, the tank you would like is too small. Maybe the members here could direct you to some budget based threads for some ideas you could incorporate into a larger more adequate system.

you clearly are not familiar with the other questions he has asked...repeatedly

Personally I think you should do WAY MORE reading than you have

get the conscientious marine aquarist and Invertebrates by anthony calfo for christmas

http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine...l/dp/1890087025

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Invertebrates-E...y/dp/0967263034

once you have read these along with all the information on nano reef cover to cover

you start reefing

thats what I did

Chill out. You guys are like gangbangers in here.

If you can't afford a larger tank, you won't be able to afford everything that comes with having a saltwater aquarium. Save up for a bit and read what you can. You can do it inexpensively with a larger tank, but wait for used deals and read what you can on the subject.