Pod Your Reef

Rocket's 125 Gallon

Rocket

Equipment note: Added UV sterilizer a week or so ago and have noticed much more clear water and extremely less algae growth on the glass. My orange and green zoanthids have a bit more color also. But this might be due to the better light system than I had before. So I have to leave them out of the experiment results.

New additions: Australian Lord Acans and a duncan.

3291283490_ed1f128094_b.jpg

3291282744_9c9a9c35ed_b.jpg

3290464403_cfd9d8909b_b.jpg

3291281304_9ab2783361_b.jpg

3291280588_1f24f8ea8c_b.jpg

I am expecting better color soon as these are just a few days in the tank.

This Ducan is more bright green than this photo can show but where I have placed it in the tank makes it very hard to get a good clean shot without glass distortion.

3290461369_0e3dbf0063_b.jpg

This guy had a rough shipping. Hot water and damaged package. Since this photo was taken their is a hint of green coming back in the center. They will all be bright green stripped zoanthids when the color returns.

3291284980_e52fa181a5_b.jpg

Crab cleaning a snail as the snail cleans the sand.

3291267376_336c3ceaa3_b.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actinic shots with the Acans. Too bad camera can't show everything. They truely look awesome under Actinic lighting. (note: I have since moved these guys out of direct MH light and on the bottom side of the tank. Look at the my previous post to see current location. Anyone have a hint on how to grow these guys fast? They seem not to like being under direct MH light.

Flash

3291258594_131f095e30_b.jpg

No Flash

3290442025_a7580453ee_b.jpg

3291263214_1be2bb1349_b.jpg

Food!!!

3290446405_635d85a327_b.jpg

The green one actually looks the worst under actinics. Looks pretty much like this.

3290448593_b10c1daa80_b.jpg

Ducan

3290447857_be2a2f3110_b.jpg

A tang might be in the tank by Friday! You'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,

big tanks are great! the only suggestion i have for the acans would be to feed them regularly with enriched meaty foods. any corals coming with that tang?

• 2 weeks later...

My birthday Nemateleotris decora (Purple fire fish) has gone missing. It has been 4 days since anyone has last seen it. I had the fish for 1 year and 3 months. I'm afraid my crab might have had something to do with this. No cement surfing of any kind. No location of any body. I'm just baffled at what happened.

I've checked everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Even under the rocks it used as its dart hole. Sad.

I'm tang hunting tomorrow. <--- B) Leaning towards powdered blue. We'll see. I'm worried about its aggressive nature. As I want more than 1 tang in this system.

I never made it. Bought 4 of these: Damn pothole lined with rebar Was hoping to get another 5k miles out of the tires.

kumhz8.ang.jpg

I am going to go Thursday and see what my LFSs have in stock.

I can't wait to see what kind of Tang you're going to get! And I love your Acans. Are all Tangs prone to ich or some more than others?

Edit: your sandbed and tank look so clean :)

Those acans are pretty! Where'd you get 'em?

https://hydra.liquidweb.com/~aquarium/catal...5c5ba204d872976

I would not purchase anything not on their current special section. Way to expensive otherwise. They have minimum head count orders also. But I purchased the minimum on my 3 acans and I got 1 free. And not to mention all the acans came with more heads than I ordered. Order 6 total polyps get 2 free "their choice"

Good customer service and great responsive with emails. I'd do business again when I'm acan hungry again.

annamarie421

I <3 Aquarium Specialty! I've never ordered livestock from them, but now I want to! Anyhow, glad to see that your tank is progressing so nicely!!

I can't wait to see what kind of Tang you're going to get! And I love your Acans. Are all Tangs prone to ich or some more than others?

Edit: your sandbed and tank look so clean :)

Yeah but you won't believe just what my clean up crew is. Plus it has only been almost 2 months. I water change once a month. I do not touch my sandbed. No siphoning or anything.

ich can happen to any type of fish. But tangs seem to harbor the disease and when they stress because of being in a small tank the tang becomes susceptible to ich. If I did my research right, ich will not happen in a system that has not been contaminated by ich before. So I have to be careful with fish selection.

Yeah but you won't believe just what my clean up crew is. Plus it has only been almost 2 months. I water change once a month. I do not touch my sandbed. No siphoning or anything.

ich can happen to any type of fish. But tangs seem to harbor the disease and when they stress because of being in a small tank the tang becomes susceptible to ich. If I did my research right, ich will not happen in a system that has not been contaminated by ich before. So I have to be careful with fish selection.

Ok, I bite....what is your clean up crew? I'm thinking I need more (especially since I fighting Bryopsis!). And I totally agree with not touching the sandbed. When my RSM was 3 months old I decided to rescape it. Took out rocks, added new "cured" ones blah blah blah. Obviously got the sandbed all stirred up. Came down with dinoflagellates right after that and haven't gotten rid of them since!!

That is why I'm breaking down the RSM and put up the 90 gallon. I just can't deal anymore with the dinos and the caulerpa that has invaded 1/2 my rock.

So funny, I'm talking to a kid who's half my age :lol: I saw your picture ;)

Oh I'm sorry got sidetracked with my last post. I have 7 trochus snails and 8 hermit crabs with 1 very large Emerald crab.

That is odd that your Dinos did not go away. You are using RO water right?

I went to the LFS for tangs and have settle with the idea of a powdered blue tang. All in the store where pre-sold so I am on a waiting list. That is ok though. As I was thinking about it I really need to increase my Clean up crew count. I really don't like the hermit crabs that much so for now I'll boost up the Trochus snail count maybe 3 fold. I want more of a variety though too. So at least 2 turbos and a few more sand shifters. A starfish would be nice but I don't know if my tank is ready for one. Have to research that.

What 22 too young for you? I can be any age you want ;)

Oh I'm sorry got sidetracked with my last post. I have 7 trochus snails and 8 hermit crabs with 1 very large Emerald crab.

That is odd that your Dinos did not go away. You are using RO water right?

I went to the LFS for tangs and have settle with the idea of a powdered blue tang. All in the store where pre-sold so I am on a waiting list. That is ok though. As I was thinking about it I really need to increase my Clean up crew count. I really don't like the hermit crabs that much so for now I'll boost up the Trochus snail count maybe 3 fold. I want more of a variety though too. So at least 2 turbos and a few more sand shifters. A starfish would be nice but I don't know if my tank is ready for one. Have to research that.

What 22 too young for you? I can be any age you want ;)

You really are half my age! HA! That's OK, I can keep up with the best of them... B)

My CUC consists of 15 blue leg hermits, 5 Turbos, 5 Astreas, 5 ceriths and some other black snails with silver on the top. I was thinking about getting some more hermits too. They do a great job eating whatever my algae is...bryopsis, derbesia , whatever.

Mr. Fosi has been helping me all along with my dino problem. Actually they are Raphidophytes. Same damn thing! And yes, I use RO. And I've done everything in the book to get rid of them. AH! I don't even want to talk about it. Just makes me PO!!

I'm just now transferring my fish from the RSM into the 90. And trying to decide on what Tang (or maybe a Foxface). Something that will eat algae. So I'm following along with your decision.

Rocket-I will drop those corals we talked about this weekend off sometime this week. I have a small blue sps frag, green slimer, and which monti-caps did you want orange or the green?

Rocket-I will drop those corals we talked about this weekend off sometime this week. I have a small blue sps frag, green slimer, and which monti-caps did you want orange or the green?

Orange Monti Please :)

• 2 weeks later...

* New Corals. All SPS some monticaps and I think its acrapora. (sp)

Pictures to come once I find my camera.

Archived