Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rocket's 125 Gallon

Rocket

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was fun. Cleaing up the 42 hex was a pain. I HATE OOLITIC SAND!!!

To cheer myself up I picked up my first addition today. Been wanting something blue in the tank for a long time.

Blue Mushrooms!

3254726090_8452fa1521.jpg?v=0

3254725384_9042b63eb5.jpg?v=0

3254724764_25e47ba330.jpg?v=0

Side note. Noticed a small amount of diatoms on a few of the rocks today. Not worried about a cycle but just in case I have skimmer on very wet and carbon and phosphate running.

Fed the Condy anemone. It ate the food but still has not expanded to its huge size.

Clownfish have discovered the jets from the spray bar. They have been swimming through it and blasted to the bottom, only to swim up to the top and do it again.

Equipment wise. Still trying to find a balance on my temps, varying from 80 during day and 78 at night. i don't like too much of a swing and I want SPS soon. Vortech pump is on reefcrest mode cranked as high as it will go (3,200 GPH)

Cheers,

Rocket

I love the spray bar. The mag 9.5 is perfect for it too. Did not have to valve it at all. No locline. I simply drew a straight light down the 6 foot bar and drilled 9/64th holes every 6 inches. I did not permanently attach the bar to the return line. It is simply connected.

I played with aiming the jets with a low sump level so I could see microbubbles shooting out. I have them aimed at the mid section of my LR. The flow from the bar is so much that when the vortech is not running the whole tank spins horizontally. Imagine a 6 foot cylinder rolling on the ground.

With the vortech going I have cross current flow. Amazing. I have areas for SPS LPS and softies. I think I am set.

Took some night shots last night. Camera : Sony mavica 4mp mini CD format.

Enjoy! Huge coral shipment coming Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Can't wait 20 + frags and colony's

Actinics only (384 PC true 420nm)

3268151894_819a02f3a2_b.jpg

3267329913_c0b94f41f6_b.jpg

3268153786_16dd1106a9_b.jpg

Moonlight LEDs White with Camera flash only.

3268154492_7c6d51d6c0_b.jpg

3268155338_bd85007cdd_b.jpg

3268156216_57be32effe_b.jpg

3267333975_291c378d3b_b.jpg

My 11pack of Ricordia's from coral morphologic arrived today. Here they are!!! I was excited to get this. As I wanted to start a Ricordia garden.

3270370251_01417e1c7e_b.jpg

3270155377_2a89fb4219_b.jpg

3270154683_d5b479d187_b.jpg

3270975058_f7db2bcf7d_b.jpg

3270153325_cf01c1ce12_b.jpg

3270152589_92862f4576_b.jpg

3270972766_079bae9417_b.jpg

3270151189_57e543ac9e_b.jpg

3270150431_d123dedfb3_b.jpg

3270149725_035e485b60_b.jpg

3270148999_8e1bb03a8e_b.jpg

3270969340_21e56eb9b6_b.jpg

3270968636_4ab1f96a77_b.jpg

I love my photos :) need a modern DSLR soon though. Cannon isxish thing been looking at.

Super glue that contains CYANOACRYLATE.

1. flip ricordia over

2. add glob of super glue

3. dip ricordia upside down in a bowl of tank water

4. quickly place in tank on rock

5. press gently to seal the glue

Step 3 is vital. You dip it out of tank to skim the super glue over. This step can leave a residue floating on top of the water if you do not dip fast enough. Also why you dip the coral upside down. Once skimmed you have a about 30 seconds to find a spot on the rock and press the ricordia down. This breaks the skim seal and glues your coral to the rock.

Learned this trick on this website. No need to take the rock out of water.

Alright alright last photo update until the other corals arrive. 2 minutes before lights out my monster came out of his cave.

This is my fully grown mythrax emerald crab. It's body is about 1.75'' and has a claw to claw length of over 4.5''

Here is a great shot representing its size.

3271184560_938b80b8ed_b.jpg

SWIM AWAY SWIM AWAY!!!

3270371825_b18053c1bf_b.jpg

LOL dude about time you joined these here forums. Hair algae has been going away. Slowly though. Need to increase CUC. Running skimmer, phosban, Increased Mg levels, and just hooked up a UV light. Thought I could give it a try.

Oh and its not hair algae its bryosis.

lol Rocket, thats kinda why I havent updated my tank thread. I got a serious hair algae problem, and I'm sure its phosphates(I dont have a test), but all my other tank params are good. I got two huge emerald crabs for it, but its still growing like crazy even after I turned my lighting to only 5 hours a day.

Thanks lady's and gent's for the comments.

I've added a UV sterilizer couple days ago and I must say the results of clear water and a lot less algae growth on the glass has been a major plus.

I'm in the process of choosing a aquarium controller. As it stands I have to unplug 1 heater during the day to maintain a stable 78F temp.

With that said my last coral shipment arrived this morning. What arrived is my 3 different Australian Lord Acans and a very bright green Duncan. I'll post up pictures tonight.

I love Ric Island. I put a rock in my 90 gallon just for a ric island. But your crab kinda creeps me out!

Where do you put your media?

Edit: Where did you get your rock? It looks just like mine. I ordered from Marco rock. It's really porous so it's going to be great for gluing frags. Tons of holes!

I love Ric Island. I put a rock in my 90 gallon just for a ric island. But your crab kinda creeps me out!

Where do you put your media?

Edit: Where did you get your rock? It looks just like mine. I ordered from Marco rock. It's really porous so it's going to be great for gluing frags. Tons of holes!

Yeah my crab scares me too. I always check if its near where I am working in the tank.

I am only running phosban right now. As I just unloaded a huge coral package(s) this entire week. After March 1st schedule water change I will most likely not run any media. My filtration is skimmer, LR, Chaeto, and now UV sterilizer. I normally don't run any disposable media if I don't have to.

This rock was a steal. Premium Aquatics 40lb dry box for 60 bucks. I ordered 3 boxes. For a total of 120lbs dead rock. The middle section of my tank will be my prize collection section. That rock is the now impossible to find Tonga round rock. I so love its relative flat texture. Oh and thats 30lbs of Lalo Tonga.

I was just at my LFS and had a new shipment of tangs in. Saw one for 1000. Did look beautiful but Now I can't remember its name. I'm looking at my next purchase of Live stock to be a tang and a dozen trochus snails. That's a few weeks off though, need to refill the tank funds and controller is going to be expensive.

Whoa!! that is a steal on your rock!! I'm not even going to tell you what I spent on mine! But significantly less that what I spent on my RSM. Bought totally cured rock from the LFS at premium price. But, I had no cycle either. Never had ammonia....ever. Right now I'm at 1.0 ammonia and 0.5 nitrites. so it's gonna be awhile!

Whats up with the rock thing? First it's Marshall rock and now Tonga? Guess us hobbyists are taking too much....

Thanks for helping me on my tank thread (or was it a thread I posted??) either way, I'm going to need help from you experienced Large tank reefers!

I had a bryopsis problem and picked up a longspine urchin. It took him a couple days to settle down and start munching but he cleaned up 90% of the algae, there is still a bit lingering around but hopefully with a bit more maintenance and care it won't be much of an issue.

What kind of tangs are you looking at? If it was me I'd pick up 2-3 yellow tangs and/or a powder blue tang and call it a day.

The tank is looking good man, can't wait to see it stocked up. Would you mind if I asked how much the ricordea's came out costing? For some reason I sometimes find simple ricordeas for sale for a ton of money, yet I can pick them up at the LFS for $10 per colony. Some colonies are 1 eye, some are 3+ eyes.

I want at least 1 powder blue tang, Saw some but the price was 120 for a 5 inch one. The yellow tangs look ugly to me. Was loking at a sailfin and other varieties though. I'll most likely have 3 tangs.

The rics where from a sponsor on the site. Paid $99 for an 11 pack so that's $9 each but $35 dollar fedex overnight premium. They arrived perfectly. Most of the colonies where single head, but 3 had multiples.

I'm going right now to shoot some good macros of the 4 Australian Lord Acans I picked up last Friday.

Pictures in a few hours. Dinner needs to be made!

Here is the latest and greatest shot of Ric Island.

I seen growth in size difference from the original day 1 picture. This is 2 weeks latter.

3291284230_45a23afef0_b.jpg

Archived