Top Shelf Aquatics

Rocket's 125 Gallon

Rocket

I'm not sure on the spray bar, if your feeling adventurous try both out! I would like to see the results! Its gonna cost ya what? an extra 50 cents for the pvc? lol

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tagging along... this looks like it will be a very cool tank.

Fish suggestions!!

If I had a 125 gallon tank I would get....

A powder blue tang

a pair of BW clowns

a harem of flasher wrasses

a school of banggai cardinals

and a partridge in a pear tree :)

So I yahooed Flasher wrasses to see what they look like. And Yahoo asked me if I want to remove my adult content filter. I got a kick out of that.

They look neat. The Hippo tang is a guarantee.

I'm on the hunt for a show stopper fish. I like the look of the Imperator, or Scribbled Angel fish but I am worried about its tendency to eat soft corals.

Fish are on the low priortiy for this tank right now. I want to get some corals plugged in before I expand my fish list, with exception of the Hippo tang. I just love the look of it.

With that said anyone who has suggestions for future fish, inverts post them up. I'll look at them and see what I like.

Cheers,

Good news. Some of my Rock has arrived. I have 120lbs of dead rock. and 120 lbs of carib sea special grade reef sand. I bet UPS hated me dragging all 6 boxes to the door on our ICED over drive way that is 100 feet long.

Tomorrow's game plan is to get my AP 24 running as a rock curing station. I'll need to create a seeding environment and slowly add established rock to the 125. It's going to take a while to get it all together. I have to do it this way because I will already have the contents of my 42 hex moved into the 125 once I get the sump setup.

Unlike Calvins's 12 footer tank I have been stock piling RO/DI water for the past 2+ weeks. I have around 50 gallons so far. I've been pulling a couple gallons a day and storing them in cleaned milk jugs and rubber maid bins with lids.

Down side, my basement is slowly falling in temperature as I choose not to heat it. It's around 52F now. With almost a 30F temperature difference in the tank I think I will be needing 2 300w visi-therm heaters. They fit the bill size wise the jagers are just way too long. Plus I've had a 100w stealth and a 200w deluxe (glass) with no problems. The titanium heaters around 500 + watts are expensive, and the reviews of the ones I was able to find are not promising. If anyone has links to places I could order titanium heaters please post them up.

LIGHTING:

I have decided to go with (3) 10k 150w bulbs on the 72'' Outer orbit. with 384w actinic 03 supplementation. I want maximum growth. This is a big tank and I want the corals to grow out quickly. Any recommendations on 10K bulbs? I was thinking Ushio's

SUMP:

The final leak test was delayed today due to power outage and I got a call for a computer office network setup. (Big money!) My girlfriends Asian and her friends all work at home health agency's. networked 6 computers to a single connection and setup their home health software with a networked printer. I always joke with her about equal opportunity employment. I am the only white guy they ever see.

Crap got off topic. Anyways the sump is done baffles are good I might drill a few holes on the skimmer baffle to allow some under tow flow effect. I want the water to come up below the Chaeto and flow through it. I quickly realized that I will have to slide the 125 back a bit to slip the sump permanently underneath. This has me worried a bit if the sump every develops a problem, oh well can't win on everything.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Just as I was coming home today to go take a nap after a horrible day I see that UPS delivered. I got to carry 240 lbs down 15 stairs into the basement. YAY!

Cheers Nano-reef.com,

LOL I'm sure the UPS guy hates you with a passion. Did you test your ideas on that spray bar yet?

I have the 3/4''- 1/2'' spraybar built. I have to cut the all 3/4'' one still and I have to drill the holes. Was thinking 8'' spacing on the holes with a 1/4'' drill bit or 3/16'' still debating that too.

All plans that I just typed earlier are on hold until Monday. I was notified that it IS Christmas and I HAVE parties to attend....

Light bulbs I hope to order after christmas I have decided on (4) 96w actinic 03 PC.

I am still deciding either 20k ushio, 14k phoenix, or 10k Ushio. I want fast coral growth so I don't have to get a billion frags to fill the tank. Any help here would be hot.

Cheers,

Rocket

I am gonna run 10k Ushio's in my 2x150w, from what I have read they have the most superior coral growth, and the 10k makes them really take off.

I am gonna run 10k Ushio's in my 2x150w, from what I have read they have the most superior coral growth, and the 10k makes them really take off.

I have been researching as well and I will most likely do the same.

Today I started up my AP24 again. I bought a used but upgrade 64watts of PC hood for the tank since the Sunpod is currently powering my hexagon. I added about 90 lbs of dead rock into it with 15 gallons of water. Got the stock pump and heater working. Waiting for my LR to cure. Tomorrow I'll be taking a chunk of LR from the Hex and putting it in the AP24 for a day. Need to seed the tank.

No pictures for a while I have setup a tripod with my digital camera for a FTS shot. Every day until it is cured I will take a photo. I want to create a time lapse photo reel so I can see what curing looks like. I will also create and post a thread here with the photos for everyone to see. This is going to take a while.

The sump test was not performed today. I decided to euro brace the sump a bit. Waiting for that to cure also. Spray bars are built. They will be tested the day I transfer the 42 hex to its new home.

Starting to look at how I want to enclose the stand. I may just leave it open for a while till everything checks out.

To do list:

1. order replacement bulbs for outer orbit 72''

2. test sump

3. finish the union for the last bit of piping in the sump

4. find mass quantities of adhesives to bond LR to LR.

5. Wait

6. Wait

7. Wait

8. Wait

9. Wait

10. ....Wait

11. finally move the rocks over and AQUASCAPE!

12. add sand.

13. Wait

14. water change

15. Transfer day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hm... maybe i'll snap a few pictures anyway. I have a 5 MP point and shoot that I hate. Don't expect quality photos for a while.

AcroporaLokani
For your aquascaping, instead of the putty to bond the LR, you could drill holes and use plastic dowels to keep them from moving.

I agree, The putty will eventually come loose and your rocks will tumble (In a nano it would not make any difference you would just super glue it or re-bond it, but with a larger tank you have larger rocks and then you would need even more putty and your rock structure would have to be taken apart and redone). But the dowels would be perfect (Link below)

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147&

• 2 weeks later...

Today is day 11 of Dead Rock turn to LR in AP24.

Noticed a few patches of diatoms starting off. Still on 12 hour lighting schedule. The rock is starting to get some color. Before it was all chalk white. Still taking 1 photo per day to create a time lapse. Readings are off the charts on all cycle tests.

No wc planned until cycle is complete.

Tank is stable at 77.7F with 90 (ish) pounds of rock jammed in there.

Tomorrows goal is to super clean the 125 and prep it for adding 120 lbs of sand.

Just need to order the heaters and the lights and I am good to go.

Patiently waiting,

Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. Nothing really to report that's why I have not posted. Everything is a go for operation tank swap except for the LR. It is still reading nitrites but at least the levels are decreasing. I am shooting for January 31 to move my tank over to the 125.

I still need to purchase the replacement bulbs for the outer orbit. I am dreading that purchase. At least I won't have to drop that much cash but once a year.

***On a side note***

My emerald crab has killed its second victim 2 days ago. I lost my amazing Lawnmower blenny. I like my crab but this is unacceptable. I do hope the much bigger tank will allow this crab to mellow out.

My True Perc has decided on hosting my Condy anemone. Pretty neat to see it a clown host.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I've almost got enough water saved up for the switch. Ordering light bulbs and heaters tomorrow. I can't wait.

I've also come to the realization that this cannot be accomplished in 1 day. I need to let the sand settle. 5 gallon buck of salt to mix totally. and bring the water temp up from 55F to 78F. That last part is going to take a while. I might start the transfer on Friday night and by Sunday evening be finishing the transfer from the 42 hex to the 125. IF all parameters check out.

Tomorrow I'll be writing myself a check list and what order to do it in. Oh boy, its crunch time.

Cheers,

Rocket.

P.S. LR pictures in next post. I snapped 1 picture a day for the past um 35 ish days to track the progress of the curing cycle.

Can't wait! What bulbs did you decide on? My coral love those 10k Ushios but it is a little to yellow for my taste.

Actinic 03's (4) 96w PC. and the 10k Ushios.

I'm in love with my 20k 150w ushio I currently have. I realize this might be a big mistake but from the research I have read and gathered, the 10k's promote the fastest growth.

Well the LR is done curing. The photos don't show much, a little disapointing. I tried seeding Coralline algae but most of the rock is blocked off from the light. Here is 4 photos showing beginning middle and end product. I have since turned the lights out. Had some algae growth on the top rocks but that is decreasing daily. did a 20% water change and will do another one tomorrow.

What is interesting to see is half way through this experiment I added a small clump of chaeto,

Well Friday night was eventful. Got the tank running on RO/DI water and sand in. Water temp is currently 63.6F waiting for it to increase to 78 before I add my cured rocks in. Pictures tomorrow.

things still to do:

aquascape

mix 5 gallons of salt :) that should look cool.

transfer the 42hex (very time consuming, catching all the critters)

setup the vortech

quiet the 1000gph overflow

decide if I want more sand

Well today I'm trying to keep my temperature steady. Was at 79 then dropped to 73 over night. Never had the lights on though. Added some salt to watch the water flow in my sump. Interesting the water turns counter clock wise. Unfortunately where I had placed my heaters the water current did not mix well. Moved heaters to where water overflows to return bump bay, that way the coldest water will hit the sensors on the heaters.

Here's pictures of progress so far. Waiting for water to clear up and temps to stabilize before moving hex.

Salt for setup and 6-8 month supply

3245356376_5956a9b93b.jpg?v=0

Sliding sump in hope I never have to take sump out!

3245358400_3ae2acb6b4.jpg?v=0

Spray bar, every 6 inches 9/64 hole for 5'8'' on 3/4ths and 1/2 pvc pipe

3245360568_5d20d8f7c7.jpg?v=0

3244538373_2b1ae529d9.jpg?v=0

Return pump 9.5 mag drive with union and 3/4th pvc

3245362662_6c05194fcf.jpg?v=0

100 lbs of Special Grade Reef Sand

3244539485_44971fd5eb.jpg?v=0

My reserve RO/DI water supply. need to get a 30 gallon sealed container, like calvin415 has. I call this my milk jug fleet

3245367796_5e8ef675c9.jpg?v=0

FILLED!!!

3244542121_90bcd00c55.jpg?v=0

Bad photo, didn't let the MH lights warm up before I took the shot. Shows current aquascape 120 lbs Lace rock. Center will have 30 lbs of Lalo Tonga rock from the hex.

3244502767_6edf0746ee.jpg?v=0

Waiting for the water to stabilize............ hurry it up!!!

Couple of vids

This is the sump in action. you can really see the couter-clockwise flow I was talking about. Also I point out the maximum height of water that flows into the sump when a power outage occurs.

Sump flow

This is the spray bar. It sounds neat when you first turn on the return pump. I did this so you can see the water flow. No actual bubbles/microbubles shoot into the tank when in normal operation.

Spray Bar start up

P.S. Anyone know how to post vids better? I'd like a photo link but I can't seem to figure it out.

Couple of vids

This is the sump in action. you can really see the couter-clockwise flow I was talking about. Also I point out the maximum height of water that flows into the sump when a power outage occurs.

Sump flow

This is the spray bar. It sounds neat when you first turn on the return pump. I did this so you can see the water flow. No actual bubbles/microbubles shoot into the tank when in normal operation.

Spray Bar start up

P.S. Anyone know how to post vids better? I'd like a photo link but I can't seem to figure it out.

You could just put it on youtube, and then put the embeded code in your reply.

Tanks lookin awesome man! Aren't 6ft tanks so cool? Me and you are some of the only few with them on NR :lol:

yeah should be fun rocking the 6ft length.... except for that other dude with the 12 footer....

Eh Youtube I do not use. Don't have an account with it or anything. Besides flickr is free for me.

Archived