Coral Vue Hydros

Rathje70's 29 Biocube, New Pictures!

Rathje70

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I upraded to the 250w, yes I did move it higher, for the 20k bulb I got, I have not done anything yet, I am going to see how the corals do, i think they should be fine, but like PURPLEUP said it is a higher wattage, I will have to keep close eyes on them the next few days....

The main reason I went 20k was the the fact that I have a 250w sunpod over a 29g biocube, which some would call overkill, since the biocube is only 18" deep. With the Phoenix I felt like the light was almost to intense with the 14k bulb. I knew that with the 20k,the intensity would be less (or PAR) and the 20k would bring out the colors in my corals, which it already has started doing.

I am overall happy with my choice to switch to 20k and would recommend this bulb to anyone, it seems like a great bulb so far!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Thats what I thought at first, but you just cant beat the fact that your corals are going to look amazing and I can afford to move to a 20k with only having a 18" deep tank with a 250w, IMO. I will see how it goes, I really like the colors so far!

I have a question though, do 20k bulbs burn in more blue as the burn in period goes along or how do they burn in colorwise?

Thanks!

Well the tank is doing well! My pearlberry is RTN a little bit, what should I DO????

Here are some pictures of the tank!

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

Can someone ID this Acro?

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

Let me know what you think! and what should I do about the pearlberry?

LivingStrong08

Tank is a beauty brotha!! I got excited when I seen that you had a BSJ fish, because I really want one now... Any advice for me on this? I have a 3.5 inch deep live sand bed.. Think he would be happy?? These guys are soo cool man.. I was sad to read about the jump.. (So I need to up my eggcrate with pond netting.)

Your Zoa garden was amazing, inspiration for me!!

Great work!

Tim

Missed the update! This is awesome man! Love the Mandarin! We have similar taste!

The zoa garden is going to make a comeback! I just picked up some frags yesterday, including some tubbs blues, and they look great! It was sad when the BSJ jumped out, it was an awesome fish, if I had the closed top, I would definately get another!

Thanks MGD! I love the tank as well, and am excited about moving it and gettin some more sps! I would recommend the 250w halide with the 20k bulb to anyone with this size of tank, it provides great growth and color, its perfect! I am picking up a swissgaurd basslet from the LFS in a week when they get it in! Anyone have experience?

LivingStrong08
The zoa garden is going to make a comeback! I just picked up some frags yesterday, including some tubbs blues, and they look great! It was sad when the BSJ jumped out, it was an awesome fish, if I had the closed top, I would definately get another!

So you think a negative with an open top, with netting and crate?

I look forward to seeing the garden bro!

Its wierd PODPIMP, it is starting to lose tissue from the bottom towards the top, I can see it losing tissue little by little each day, i broke off the bottom part when I first noticed it but it still keeps going, the coral is actualyl coloring up and showing better polyp extension with the new bulb, should I dip the coral? Would that help?

I do not think there is a negative with the open top at all, I love it! I thought that there was no way to get through the netting that I made and I personally think that only a BSJ could escape it, they know how to squeeze through anything, them curious little F******. haha. I say go for it if you can build a good top!

I would just glue over the receding part. If there is a healthy branch you would probably want to frag it off and mount it elsewhere in the tank. IME a dip won't help at this point.

There is about four or five healthy branches as of right now, it is from the base that it is dying off, should I frag all of these pieces off. I am going to vacation for a week on Saturday and don't want to come back to a completely dead pearlberry.....

There is about four or five healthy branches as of right now, it is from the base that it is dying off, should I frag all of these pieces off. I am going to vacation for a week on Saturday and don't want to come back to a completely dead pearlberry.....

STN/RTN is difficult to stop once its already in progress, IME. I would suggest making a clean cut as high as possible - even if you end up with a very little piece. One tiny yet healthy frag is better than one large yet dead frag. In the meantime, make sure your params are in check before you leave and change 25% of your water. A large water change will not kill the rest of your coral, but may correct a chemical imbalance.

Thanks PURPLEUP! I just fragged off one of the branches, itll be interesting to see how the frag does in a different location anyhow, it has not been RTN at a very fast rate so maybe it is getting back into shape and possibly ready to grow back, but I have a backup frag just in case! haha. if the frag has a little bit of tissue from the rtn off it, more than likely it will continue up that branch?

Thanks PURPLEUP! I just fragged off one of the branches, itll be interesting to see how the frag does in a different location anyhow, it has not been RTN at a very fast rate so maybe it is getting back into shape and possibly ready to grow back, but I have a backup frag just in case! haha. if the frag has a little bit of tissue from the rtn off it, more than likely it will continue up that branch?

ooh, you may want to cut enough so no RTN is exposed on the new frag. Cut it 1 cm higher if possible. I had a slimer that was doing this. Fragged it 3 times to save it. But only a frag of the highest tip was saved.

Thanks PURPLEUP!

I have placed a few frags of the pearlberry around the tank now, its a great test to see how they do!

Archived