Coral Vue Hydros

Rathje70's 29 Biocube, New Pictures!

Rathje70

Thanks for the suggestion Cracker, I really just need a new camera, this is one from when the digitals first came out haha.

W1Dude, Its sweet having this size of tank in my room, it is the perfect size. Is there a policy that limits the size at your school?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank has been doing well, I have not had much time for updates yet with school coming to an end. I will try to post some pictures later tonight, I am just letting everything grow out and have to move the tank back home in three weeks for the summer :huh:

Keep posted, pics are coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Love your tank! The setup and coral gardens are great.

Would you mind putting up more information about your sump? I have been thinking about this for a while and yours looks great.

What tank do you have down there? What pump to bring the water back up into the main tank?

Any information would be appreciated.

It must be such a huge difference when doing your water changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm truly at a loss as to how your overflow can regain siphon if the tank level drops below it and then restarts. i.e., if you lost power and the tank siphoned down to below the overflow level and then power came back on. Can you explain this?

Thanks.

Sorry for such a late response everyone!!! I have been busy, just got done moving my tank home from school about a week ago and everything is back on track and doing well, not to mention I preordered the MP10!!!!

Anyways, as far as the sump.

It is very hard to explain, the best thing I could tell you is to search for DIY PVC overflow on google and check out all of those sites to get the jist of how it all works, it is pretty confusing but it is amazing to see how it works after you build one.

Basically I built the refuigum from 1/4" acrylic to fit right into the bottom of the biocube stand and it works wonders. I then am using a rio pump to pump the water back up into the third chamber. I no longer have the fuge/ frag setup, the algae just became to much of a problem and my chaeto is growing like mad. As far as water changes, it helps tremendously!

Now the DIY ATO. Basically what I used was a float valve that I bought from the local home/farm/auto store that I work at. I bought a a plastic container that holds approximately three gallons to place on the top shelf above the fuge, I drilled a hole in the container and connected hose from the container down to the float valve that is placed in the return chamber in the fuge. This works very well for me and I have had no problems with it. The water usually lasts 5-7 days till I have to refill it, which is no big deal.

If you have any other questions, please let me know, I now have some free time to update and talk with you guys, I am sorry for such the delay!

I am so excited to get the MP10!!!!

Thanks again everyone,

Rathje70

Sorry for such a late response everyone!!! I have been busy, just got done moving my tank home from school about a week ago and everything is back on track and doing well, not to mention I preordered the MP10!!!!

Anyways, as far as the sump.

It is very hard to explain, the best thing I could tell you is to search for DIY PVC overflow on google and check out all of those sites to get the jist of how it all works, it is pretty confusing but it is amazing to see how it works after you build one.

Basically I built the refuigum from 1/4" acrylic to fit right into the bottom of the biocube stand and it works wonders. I then am using a rio pump to pump the water back up into the third chamber. I no longer have the fuge/ frag setup, the algae just became to much of a problem and my chaeto is growing like mad. As far as water changes, it helps tremendously!

Welcome Back! Would you happen to have a rough draft of the specs? Someone is offering to build one and I wanted to get the specs. How many gallons is your sump?

The MP10 looks amazing indeed Ando! I am sure it will provide plenty of flow for our biocubes.

As far as the specs of the tank underneath, I do not have a picture but I can sure give you the specs!

The tank is 17" by 17" by 13" tall, I had four baffles cut 11 1/2" tall for the bubble trap and then the one for the overflow to the return chamber. What I did was drew it out on a piece of paper and remember that you will need to take a 1/4" away from each of the baffles on each side (so 1/2" total) to make them fit between the walls. I am sorry I do not have the best way to show you this, but I will take you along with any questions! Just keep asking away, and let me know any questions you may have!

Well here are a few updated pictures of my tank after the move, I rescaped and am trying to get everything back on track, a few of the sps didn't make it through the move, but am looking to fill the whole top with them! Enjoy and let me know what you think!

ATO unit in the return chamber of the fuge.

DSC00180.jpg

FTS - Fuge

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg374/R...70/DSC00181.jpg

ATO Reservoir

DSC00182.jpg

FTS

DSC00185.jpg

Clown hosting frogspawn!

DSC00194.jpg

Flame Angel that I have to get rid of soon, looking to replace with some kind of wrasse or similiar fish, any suggestions?

DSC00195.jpg

Clam

DSC00192.jpg

New birdsnest that I just put in the tank!

DSC00191.jpg

Rics.

DSC00193.jpg

Zoa garden.

DSC00186.jpg

SpankythePyro

Why are you getting rid of the flame? getting too big?

and how is the target mandy doing?

I like the corals too btw, nice choices ;)

I will be getting rid of the flame because it is getting much to large and I am converting to mostly sps and do now want it to be tempted to nip at them, haha. I am getting a 250w halide and a vortech mp10 within the next couple weeks and am looking forward to it. Anyone have any ideas on a kind of wrasse or similiar fish to replace the angel?

Thanks again everyone!

Rathje70

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received my 250w sunpod today any my corals are loving it so far! I will take pictures later tonight and post them. I got rid of the flame angel and was looking to get the carpenter wrasse, anything you guys would prefer?

Thanks,

rathje70

I went with the phoenix 14k. I decided that this bulb was the most consistent and I liked the look of it in the 150w, I think it looks even better with the 250w! I added a clown goby today and am picking up a pair of bangaii cardinals tomorrow along with some more sps frags.

Thanks again everyone!

Rathje70

I went with the phoenix 14k. I decided that this bulb was the most consistent and I liked the look of it in the 150w, I think it looks even better with the 250w! I added a clown goby today and am picking up a pair of bangaii cardinals tomorrow along with some more sps frags.

Thanks again everyone!

Rathje70

Right on!

Keep me posted on how you like the bulb... I'm 'bout due for a new one as well!!!

Can't wait to see some pictures!

I will definately get some pictures up tomorrow, I am already lovin the bulb and it has not even burnt in yet, but my corals seem to love it so far!

I have the light on top of two - 2X4's to acclimate the light and I think it is a good height, I may just leave it until I move to my new house in August, where I am then going to hand it. The corals are loving it, so I did not add any extra light diffuser to it.

Ando, I bought a 250w sunpod and am using the phoenix 14k bulb! I will get pictures up soon!

Thanks, Rathje70

You have inspired me to look into MH. I have the Nova Extreme Pro now and the bulbs keep going out. I think it's the ballast..?..

Do you think you will get lots of evaporation?

I really want to get the 250W sunpod pro now lol. Thanks!

...Cant wait to see pics.

I love the sunpods! haha. Here are the pictures, they are not that good, but thats what i get for having a cheap camera!

FTS

DSC00222.jpg

FTS showing light mounted on 2X4's for the time being

DSC00229.jpg

My new sunset monti

DSC00226.jpg

My new yelllow Wrasse!!

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

The phoenix is going through its burn in period and am pretty excited to see what it will turn out to look like!

The evaporation has definately increased but not enough to be that noticeable, I also have the ATO which makes it not a problem.

Thanks again and let me know what you think!

Rathje70

Archived