Coral Vue Hydros

Rathje70's 29 Biocube, New Pictures!

Rathje70

Thats not a problem, sorry to hear about your fish. I basically went you and bought some egg crate and some pond netting with the same size squares as there is in the egg crate. I then cut the middle of the egg crate out leaving about 2 squares deep on each side for stability and strength. I bought small zip ties and just simply cut the pond netting to size and zip tied it on to the egg crate. I then just painted it black and it works like a charm.

But since my BSJ decided to jump out over Christmas break, I do not use it anymore. The BSJ managed to make it through the little squares. :huh:

Will appreciate any suggestions or comments!!

Thanks,

Rathje70

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you find the pond netting? yea about 2 weeks ago my pink lemonade psuedochromis jumped and just this morning I found my baby maroon clown on the floor. I'm pretty sure these fish wouldn't have been able to get out with that contraption up. Thanks for the response.

I found the pond netting at Home Depot, It worked perfectly for it and was inexpensive, the only bad thing was that you had to buy a huge roll for the little amount you need, but very worth it!

My SPS corals are doing great along with my new baby clowns, I am looking to sell my frogspawn to make more room for the SPS corals as they grow out.

Let me know if your interested!

Thanks,

Rathje70

But since my BSJ decided to jump out over Christmas break, I do not use it anymore. The BSJ managed to make it through the little squares. :huh:

:o That's horrible news. :(

I know, especially since I have had the fella for a year, going topless was not a good experience for him, but I plan on getting another one some day, the fish are awesome!!

yeah, it was definately very unfortunate to come back from break and see him dried up on the floor, oh well, things happen.

My SPS have grown 1/2" since I have had them for about a month, and they are coloring up nicely, will post some updates soon.

For those who are wondering how the fuge/frag tank is going, the egg crate is starting to leak some phosphates, but that will be over soon, I beleive, anyone have experience with the egg crate leaking PO4 and waht to do about it?

Thanks,

Rathje70

Well here are a few updated pictures of my tank, still not the best quality but I thought it showed some good growth.

FishTank099.jpg

FishTank100-1.jpg

FishTank102.jpg

FishTank103.jpg

FishTank104.jpg

FishTank105.jpg

FishTank106.jpg

FishTank107.jpg

FishTank108.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Rathje70

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has definitely been awhile since I have updated so here are a few shots I took today to keep this thread going, Let me know what you think!! I recently purchased the mighty mite ro system and I am very please with it, definitely would recommend it!

FTS

FishTank3001.jpg

Zoa Garden

FishTank3002.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes with Flame Angel

FishTank3003.jpg

Start of what is going to be a mushroom garden

FishTank3004.jpg

Clam w/ Flash

FishTank3006.jpg

Clam w/o Flash

FishTank3008.jpg

Top Down Shot of the front of the tank

FishTank3011.jpg

Corner Shot

FishTank3021.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Also I was wondering if you fellas could help me out with something. If you look in the FTS above you can see all of the purple/brown polyps all over the rocks all around the tank. They are from a galaxy star polyp coral I have and they have spread everywhere, I have since gotten rid of the coral and was wondering what I could do to get rid of these things, they sting my other corals and nothing can grow around them, any suggestions?

shrimphombre

I've heard of ppl using reef puddy and covering up the nuisance coral (like gsp and yellow polyps), but it looks like your already too far along. I'd just scrape off a bunch and try to sell it as frags or something

Thanks for the suggestion, I may give that a try, but there is just so many of them :huh: ! I heard shooting them with calcium may work and might try that, any other suggestions?

BioReeFDude
Well here is the fuge, Ido not have much in it at this point, but it seems to be helping tremendously. I have a DIY ATO also hookep up from the top shelf, great addition to the tank, especially with the open top.

Random Pics

do u still use bioballs or something else in the back i need diy info ...

The only thing in the back of my biocube is the modded stock filter, the carbon, gfo, and chaeto is all in the fuge. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thanks,

Rathje70

Thanks for the kind replies! These purple polyps are really starting to bug me as they are growing rapidly and starting to kill anything around it! What should I do!?!? I will be moving my tank back home after school is over and am just going to scrub them all off, but what can I do in the mean time? I will get some new pictures up soon!

Thanks,

Rathje70

what size bulkhead did you use for your siphon pipe? Now that you are running your fuge where is your ato at? in your fuge or the 3rd chamber?

I did not use bulkheads in my system since I am using the DIY PVC Overflow and it is working well for me thus far. The ATO is on the top shelf above my refugium and I have plastic tubing running down to a float switch to replenish the water out of the container I have on the top shelf. I will post better pictures of my setup soon.

Thanks,

Rathje70

That is the exact site that I used to construct mine! Read over it, there is a lot of information there!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Rathje70

Your tank is looking great! I know you mentioned your photography - if you use a tripod, it will help with some of those images coming out blurry.

Archived