Cultivated Reef

40 Breeder, Cash money

SaltyVT

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well fuge built. Took a couple quick pics. I bought some acrylic from home depot, I think 11x14 for 3.15 each. Scored and snapped down to size. Then sanded the edges to help the silicone get a better hold on it. Caulked in place my baffles, and now to let it dry. I added a area where the water comes in, a column type structure to hold my LR rubble, this way it doesn't collect debris. I left enough room for a skimmer once I go down that road. Notice my "great" caulking abilities, thank goodness no one will see them....Also the pics don't show the last bubble trap baffle I did put in.

more

post-22568-1229262132_thumb.jpg

post-22568-1229262331_thumb.jpg

Well the baby took a nap, and i got to work! Plumbing is done, just need to prime and glue at this point. only took about 30 minutes and three beers to do. Pic to quench your thirst.

P1040107.jpg

P1040109.jpg

P1040108.jpg

P1040105.jpg

P1040106.jpg

well have most of the pvc glued, took out the 90 and added 45, some unions, and what not. It out side for now, smells like poop, pick to follow.

Well everything is plumbed and installed. Filled it up with some wawa. Seems to work great! small leak at bulkhead drain. Other then that all is working great! Now to let it run a few hours, and then drain. Should have some salty wawa in it soon!

pics

more

post-22568-1229793210_thumb.jpg

post-22568-1229793275_thumb.jpg

its nice to see that you went with hard plumbing instead of soft, but why the one union on the one side of the return and not the other. what size is your sump? i might have missed that.

oh yeah i think your avatar is really funny.

good job, so much work before water even gets into it eh

Very nice! I really like how the overflow is hardly noticeable. It looks much better than many others I have seen. Looking forward to seeing more.

The one union is temporary, The local hardware store, and home depot are out of slip 3/4" unions, so One is it for now. If it wasn't for the 10" of snow last night and the 10" tomorrow I might head farther out to Lowes to find another one..... The return is larger diameter then need for my crappy rio 2500, I did it bigger for upgrades in the future with a stronger pump, but for now it serves it purpose. I am going to supplement the flow with a koralia 2 pump. Fixed the leak, I need to put the o ring on the outside. So the tank is semi empty now, when the baby goes to bed I am going to drain the water out of the fuge, and dry it put it all back together, and get ready to add salt tomorrow!!! thanks to all that responded

Water almost done, the 20" of snow has slowed me down some. But here are some pics of the progress. Mind you all that rock I got for FREE!!!!

pics

post-22568-1230059699_thumb.jpg

post-22568-1230059740_thumb.jpg

sweetness. You should get a picture hosting site like photobucket or flickr or picaso. They host the picture you hot link it to the forum and presto big ass pictures for everyone to see. no more thumbnails. And you can post as many photos as your little tiny heart desires.

Excuse my sarcasm, I'm still pretty new at the concept.

where in the world did you get 3/4'' unions???? My home depot does not carry unions at all!!! I'm going to try ACE and Lowes but then I'm out of places to try!

I've had Photobucket for a few years now, just got lazy in the uploading... Home Depot and Aubuchon. I'll motivate tonight and upload some bigger photos. The water is complete now to fire up!!!

Well Everything is switched over, aquascapinging done, and first mishap. I went to look in the fuge this morning, and who did I find?? The male clown swimming in there. He must have had a fun ride down the drain!!! He was fine, put him back into the main tank, and covered the top of the overflow with some plexi-galss. I will take some photos when the lights come on!!

Thanks! I am very happy how it came out, seeing as I wast half in the bag, and couldn't see what i was doing due to cloudy water. Now to start stocking it up!!!!!

oh yeah, I ended up finding my Yellow watchman when I broke down the 20L. I have a feeling the Starry Bleeny has been making him hide out, hopefully they can get along better in this larger tank.

That looks great.

On your overflow, you have a ball valve to control the flow and a closed pipe to make a syphon? If you're trying to do a Herbie without a second drain, you will overflow your tank if the valve is closed too much.

Archived