Top Shelf Aquatics

40 Breeder, Cash money

SaltyVT

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SCORE!!! Picking up a bunch or free LR and LS from some one taking down their tank. Too much Aipasia and Hair algae. Their loss is perfect to cyle my new tank with!!!!!

I also bought their drill bits and drilled my 40B. Eight holes! It's not that difficult if you keep the drill level and don't go too fast. Take maybe five minutes to drill each hole, and have plenty of flowing water for coolant. I don't like the plumbers putty dam, I like flowing coolant.

Also, having had black sand before, and now going BB, I'm going to offer up a suggestion. Paint the bottom of the tank whatever color your sand will be. It will look way better if you wind up with any bare patches from flow patterns/sand sifters, and if you get sick of the sand like I did, you can siphon it all out and still have a black bottom.

Eight??? I was worried about drilling 2. How is it set up???

Well just picked up a ton of live rock. FOR FREE!!! Lots of really nice rock from a 29. Tons of HA and aiptasia, but I will cycle the rock in a tub for a little while. Will cycling kill the aiptasia???

post-22568-1227382937_thumb.jpg

Your best bet for aiptasia is a natural predator, such as a peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranchs.

+1 my peppemint is already eatin the aip's in my pico! (been in there 5 minutes now!)

Well the tank is drilled, over flow in place. i am going to paint tomorrow since it started to snow while I was drilling. So Sunday I should be able to place some rock and water into it, I just love it when a Plan comes together!!! :D

neanderthalman

wait...drilled today, plumbed and water in it by Sunday?

oh...right.....you probably work at a normal pace. silly me. :rolleyes:

Any progress pics so far?

Drilled yes, Plumbed no. I plan on starting the 40br first, not fully filling, cycle if need be. Then move contents of 20L over to 40Br, then setting 20L to Fuge, lacing it under-nether, plumbing and enjoying.

Here are some quick pics

post-22568-1227912656_thumb.jpg

neanderthalman

I hate to be "that guy", but I don't know if that's the best plan....

It's always a good idea, before filling with SW and adding livestock/rock, to run the tank with tap water first. It helps identify any leaks, as well as any glaring errors with flow, drain size, etc. I don't think it's a main benefit, but it'll also flush any contaminants from the pipes.

Tank looks good on that stand. Are you going to paint the back or anything?

Yeah black back tomorrow. Its not my ideal set neither, but it is the cheapest. I might check craigslist for a cheap 20L or H, but we shall see. I am in no rush on this tank, just going to take my time and try to do things right.

Tank painted, found a 20L in the paper for 20 bux, might buy it and heed your advice. So Sunday is no longer the fill day, maybe in a few weeks when I get to plumbing and that fun stuff. I find when you space out twenty here fifty there, the wife doesn't notice as much. :P Pics when the tank dries.

You might want to make sure you can get a 20l in the stand with the 40 on it. I had to set my sump in the stand through the top because it wouldn't fit through the door or back.

Well I have decided to take peeps advice and found a 20L with "stuff" for 15 bux. So I am going to grab it up and place it under the tank before starting this money pit, I mean tank!

Archived