Cultivated Reef

40 Breeder, Cash money

SaltyVT

What are the measurments of a 40BR? I love the look of these tanks but the LFS only lists tanks by measurment not by gallons...

Seriously thinkin of a 40BR with a 29G sump....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh?? Check out the pics.....white Nut on inside. I thought I read on their site to do it that way. Either way its easily removable and switch able.

neanderthalman

WTF you're right. They do have them backwards on their site.

Very odd.

I've always installed them with the flange on the inside of the tank, and have always seen them installed that way. In reality, they can be installed either way and won't leak. It's about aesthetics. The flange is the better looking side, so it's better on the inside of the tank where it's seen.

So long as the gasket is between the glass and flange, you're fine for leaks.

I guess one side is slip, the other threaded, so if i switched would the gasket be on the outside of the tank or in the over flow?? I also, for back up, put silicone all around the overflow, and the hole where the overflow contacts the glass.

neanderthalman
I guess one side is slip, the other threaded, so if i switched would the gasket be on the outside of the tank or in the over flow?? I also, for back up, put silicone all around the overflow, and the hole where the overflow contacts the glass.

Well, to flip it around, the proper order would be flange-gasket-overflow-gasket-glass-nut. The second gasket could be silicone instead. Regardless of bulkhead direction, there should be some sort of seal between the overflow box and the glass, so that you cannot get leakage into the box around the bulkhead, so the silicone you've used should do the trick. I assume it's a continuous bead?

I am a little confused/concerned about your bulkhead selection with regards to slip or threaded, if you flip it around, your choice of plumbing may not work. Are you planning on a glued hard piped drain, or is this going to be flexible hose?

You can get bulkheads in all combinations, slipxslip, threadedxtreaded, slipxthreaded and threadedxslip. What's threaded on yours? Does it match your needs for plumbing?

Luckily I haven't decided, but have a feeling I might do hard pipe. It would make sense, I do sling some pipe for a living! Although its is black iron not PVC. The bulkhead came with threaded flange and slip nut. I did reverse it, it does make more sense, and looks better. I did silicone the crap out of the box so a fresh water test in a few weeks should reveal how good of a job I did.

im in the hvac plumbing buisness....gaskets ALWAYS go on the water side!!! great start by the way! cant wait to get my glass holes overflow!

the kit comes with two gaskets to go on both sides. Why did you get the clear one instead of black? Yes there should be an elbow and yes it does go on backwards. Look at the pics on pg1 of my 40br thread.

I didn't buy the kit, I had a spare over flow from a 55 i once had, I bought the bit and bulkhead, so it only came with one gasket, and no elbow.

Just ordered up a set of the 3/4" return kits from glass-holes. Decided it would look better over all, and it should only put me back a week having to add two more holes for the return. I should be able to plumb and build the fuge next weekend, hopefully.

looking good bro.. My 40g is on its way also.. pics on p 13 and on.. Erased all my pics before that, check it out if you have time..

Archived