Pod Your Reef

30g bonsai reef

danano

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sps frags super-glued onto LR maintaining their color under T5s and encrusting within 1 to 2 weeks... aside from intense lighting, good water flow/circulation and optimal water parameters, I maintain calcium levels at about 450ppm and alk at 11dKH. I also dose trace elements, iodin/iodide, strontium, calcium and aminos daily. I add Reef Builder to my top-up water 5x/wk and Reef Advantage Calcium to top-up water 2x/week.

I have a sump/fuge with thriving macroalgae that runs on a reverse photoperiod. I'm currently using a wooden airstone skimmer... which will make way for an AquaC Urchin in-sump skimmer anyday now!:D

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! awsome looking tank....

so whats the fish count in that?? bicolor, chromis, clown, tang leopard.. ect ect? i have a 29g and was wondering if i could put that many fish in it

very nice looking tank i like the lagoon

scott

Originally posted by minireefkid

WOW! awsome looking tank....  

so whats the fish count in that?? bicolor, chromis, clown, tang leopard.. ect ect? i have a 29g and was wondering if i could put that many fish in it

very nice looking tank i like the lagoon  

scott

Thanks Scott!

I have 10 small reef friendly fish... a bicolor blenny, true percula, sailfin, leopard wrasse, pair of orchid dottybacks, 3 chromis and a fat (eating & healthy) mandarin. When the sailfin outgrows the tank, I'll move it to a fellow reefer's 120g. As for the mandarin, I believe the key are the 40lbs or so of quality Fiji and Vanuatu LR... small pieces that I stack to form the reefscape provide lots of surface area for the mandarin to graze. Further, I made sure the other fish I kept do not compete with it for food.

To keep nutrients in check, I have a refugium full of macroalgae plus an efficient AquaC Urchin protein skimmer and I use Rowaphos and Seachem SeaGel. I believe quaility cured LR helps with the biological filteration as well... the positive effects of the DSB probably hasn't kicked in fully yet.

IMO, research the eating habits of the fish you have in mind. Think about the number and size of fish you want to keep as well given your other live stock. For a 29g, 8-9 small fish (<2" each) would be on the high side.

Dan

Thanks Skeletor!:)

Just to share with everyone...

(Oct5 - Nov15)... the lime green monti cap has grown!... so has the 'baby blue' thin-branched staghorn on the left/rear and the hot pink birdsnest!!:D

T5s do the job! The light intensity it produces encourages coloration and growth in sps in shallow tanks (<18"). They run cooler than PCs and much cooler than MH.

My T5s sit 3" from the water surface and most of the sps are no more than 12" from the light source.

I'm currently using 4x ATI T5s (3x 'Aquablue Special' and 1x 'Blueplus'). The Aquablue would be 10000k equivalent and the Blueplus 20000k.

wow i am truly in awe of your tank. your aquascaping is very unique (in a good way ;P ). Is your aquarium stuff cheap in Singapore? Are there alot of other reefers over there? More pics!!!

Thanks for the very kind words Caja and Spencer.:happy:

Spencer, equipment and supplies out here tend to be a little more expensive that the US. I guess the difference is mainly due to shipping and handling. Tanks may be cheaper here though... lower labour cost. As for fish and other live stock, they cost less here due to the proximity to suppliers in the region... again, S&H being the main factor.

Our local reef club has over 1600 members. Note that the population here is a mere 4million.

Here's a full tank pic taken today.

Originally posted by Christopher Marks

Simply amazing! Does anyone else in your reef club keep smaller nano-reef sized systems?

Thanks Chris!;)

I'm one of a few reefers in Singapore that keeps nano-reefs. Most reefers here have larger setups ranging between 40g to 300g. Personally, I prefer smaller reef systems :) It's great when we get to see everything up close. Challenging as it is, it's also an extremely rewarding experience... nano-reefing.

Here's a link to the "sgreefclub" founder's 225g... I got a few frags off him :Dhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...topic=4773&st=0

Danano

hey danano, can we see a pic of how the fuge / sump looks now ?

what sort of flow (GPH) do you have going through the fuge ?

also wanted to ask how good the sailfin is at algae control ? I have a horid algae problem right now and I'm looking for something that eats a lot of algae...

don't suppose there are to many ghetto nano's in Singapore (there is probably some law against it anyway ;) )....

one last question... if everything continues to grow as it has, where do you see your tank in another year ?

-skeletor-

Hi danano, tank is looking as sweet as ever. What happened to that tiny purple tang you had before? I've been looking for one that small for my bro-in-law's tank.

Archived