SaltCritters.com

30g bonsai reef

danano

Hey JB, I was actually debating a while back between T5s and halides. I eventually decided on the T5s due to much lower operating temp and longer lifespan. Looking at my tank under T5s, it appears almost as intense as a 150w halide. Time will tell if the corals will color up as nicely and retain their coloration... I hope they do :)

I may try out halides in the future.;)

Dan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purple encrusting monti in the background with tricolor frags in the foreground. To the left of the frags is an encrusting staghorn base with three small branches emerging.:)

Hey Dan,

I finally got a smallish piece of porites/xmas tree worms rock that has 5 or so neat worms in it. It's been in my tank for a few days. Yesterday, one of the worms has not come out at all. In fact it has been MIA for 24 hours now and I can't really see anything when I shine a flashlight down the tube. I noticed the hole which is normally an orangeish color is now white. Is it safe to assume the worm is dead? Can they reburrow and appear either in another tube or create another hole? I just love these worms and since you're the porites/worms expert, I figured you'd be the right person to ask.

Thanks!

Originally posted by fragman

danano, I love that tank. Did you do the building yourself? If so I would love to ask some questions, as I am planning a tank build.

The tank was custom made. Simple design 24" x 18" x 18". 6mm thick glass. Bracing on the top left and right (not Euro all around - probably not critical for a small tank). I find the brace a good place to rest my frags before attaching them to LR. I had my sump/fuge custom made as well... from a local glass/tank maker. What do you have in mind?

Originally posted by jdsabin1

... I noticed the hole which is normally an orangeish color is now white. Is it safe to assume the worm is dead? Can they reburrow and appear either in another tube or create another hole? I just love these worms and since you're the porites/worms expert, I figured you'd be the right person to ask.  

Thanks!

Hi Jeff, you've come to the right place ;)

Like everything else, x'mas tree worms get stressed as well, especially during transport and sometimes in the LFS holding tanks (dunno how long they've been sitting there)... the whole time, starving/no food. It is very possible your one worm died of hunger/stress and simply dropped out. I've seen it happen to one worm on one of my porites rocks, when it was being packed at the LFS. I tried to stick it back in and obviously was not very successful. :P

It's also possible that when in a weak state, cleaner shrimp might have success pulling it out. For the most part, my cleaner doesn't bother the worms. X'mas tree worms are also a favourite with butterfly, box, puffer and trigger fish and sometimes wrasses. Don't think you have any of these fish, so your worms are safe.

Do you dose/feed DTs or Marine Snow or other plankton-like food? If you're feeding your sps, that should suffice for your x'mas tree worms as well.

Low to medium current is fine.

They typically do not reburrow. If it's missing from a hole, it's probably dead.

New worms (i.e. juveniles) will build tubes/tunnels on the surface of the porites rock. It's actually visible and is about 1/10" - 2/10" wide and about 2 - 3 inches long. Over time, the porites will encrust over the tube and all you see is the hole. Pretty cool stuff, I have a few x'mas tree babies on a few of my rocks :).

Hope this helps!

Close up of birdsnest "bonsai" colony that started out as a frag. On the right are pink birdsnest frags that are coloring up nicely under T5s.

I was thinking about 24x24x24, exact measurements depending on glass. My main concern was if the silicon and braces like yours would hold the glass.

Fragman, IMO, I think left and right bracing will suffice for a 24" square tank. For peace of mind, I'd go with euro-bracing. 6mm thick glass would be the bare minimum. 8mm would be just right. As for silicone, I think std aquarium/tank silicone should hold it all together since your tank is not very large.

Dan

Clockwise from the top... purple encrusting montipora, tortuosa coloring up at the tips, hot pink birdsnest, christmas tree worms on porites rock, lime green monti cap and sky-blue (tip) thin-branched staghorn :happy:

Originally posted by luvtolean

Beautiful tank danano

Thanks for the compliment!:)

Dazz, here's a pic of the maxima I believe you're referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pic updates to share with y'all... obvious new addition is a pastel pink monti digi (top left). The hot pink birdsnest frags have turned even hotter pink!:woot:

Archived