Top Shelf Aquatics

Akabryanhall's 29G BC Softy/LPS

akabryanhall

I'm trying to get a group of local reefers together to form a coalition. I call it the Association For Acquiring Corals (that we cant afford) or AFAC. Basic premise is that we combine our funds to buy an expensive coral frag, then grow it out in someones tank, then when enough head/eyes grow out, its fragged and distributed.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a couple new corals for valentines day. A purple and green rainbow acan frag with two heads and a two polyp frag of christmas favia. will post pics tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...
akabryanhall

The rainbow acan or the pink one? The pink one I got from Juice, but the rainbow I got from Sea in the city. Check this out though

My Christmas Favia has turned out to be quite the aggressive bastard. My acan has been doing quite badly, as I have seen a hermit, on two occasions, on my frag shelf munching away at it. I am looking this morning and I find the Christmas Favia with sweeper tentacles, I sh!t you not, like 3 inches long aimed straight at my Acan frag. As I look, one of them touches and stings my Acan. The Favia has been killing bits of my Acan and the hermit was just eating away the dead tissue. Not even sure if the Acan can be mended.

akabryanhall
I'm trying to get a group of local reefers together to form a coalition. I call it the Association For Acquiring Corals (that we cant afford) or AFAC. Basic premise is that we combine our funds to buy an expensive coral frag, then grow it out in someones tank, then when enough head/eyes grow out, its fragged and distributed.

AFAC got some corals today from World Wide Corals! Sorry the shots are out of focus, four years of college partying dictate that one must use a tripod to take decent shots. Call me shakes..

The Sub Zero

IMG_1724.jpg

The Gold Digger

IMG_1737.jpg

Vic gave us those two for $110 each and threw in a Darth Maul Chalice for $25

IMG_1731.jpg

I saw your other thread on coralnet. You went aquastudio? I've known the owner for years and years now. Sometimes his employees are a bit new or old fashion fish guys. So they do make the occasional mistake. Depends on the employee you speak with. Ask For vinnie. He's ther owner, he's a bit better at knowing what to do about aquariums. Sea in the city is always good for quality animals. I got my ora red planet from them.

WWC is awsome but I just take their prices for a coral 2mm x 2mm and pay 100 bucks for it. So I do buy from them but usually its for something rare or no one else has that item.How big are the frags you bought? Have you ever been to Ocean's Driect??

akabryanhall

The chalice frags were 1 inch x 1 inch. I have been to all of the lfs in the area, I really like sitc, and I went to ocean direct but wasn't too thrilled with their frags at all, maybe I went on a day before their shipment.

Not sure if aqua studio is the same as aquaria studio which is where I went, but I was sold a bunch of fish by them. I have been back because they bought back the things I deemed to be too much for my tank, which they did not have to do.

So I came home today and the ac was out. My temp in the tank was up to 84F, I improvised a chiller made of floated zip lock baggies filled with ice lol.

ooh yeah SITC is a awsome place to go. Just sometimes the frags i want are not for sale yet. (topshelf in their frag tank). Ocean's direct dosen't really do frags. They are starting too but nothing fragged yet. They sell the entire colony. The larger acro you see in my tank, is from there. When they get things in they are sold within minutes. That's why when new people go there, they think they are out of stock or don't carry much since they sell their stuff within seconds. So ya, I would say go there when they get their shipment in. Ooh and if they ever get their clowns from the solomons in if ever since they are having trouble with their shipper, onyx and true percs go for 80-120 a pair (crazy. But you have to have good timing to get them.)

Good luck with the AC issue. That reminds me, i gotta sell my ice probe. Never used.since I have a chiller.

akabryanhall

Let me know, I might be interested in getting the probe, have to see where I am financially, Savannah was expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
akabryanhall

Some updated pictures:

Devils Armor, Starburst, Pink Nipple, Purple Puddle, Ice Man in the back

IMG_1797.jpg

Whammin Watermelons

IMG_1798.jpg

Clockwise:Purple Death Palys, Armageddon Palys, Nuc Green Palys, St Valentines Day Massacre Palys

IMG_1800.jpg

Darth Maul Chalice part of AFAcs group Buy

IMG_1772.jpg

SubZero Chalice part of AFAC's group buy

IMG_1788.jpg

Fat Boy Duncans

IMG_1741.jpg

Candy Stripe Trachy

IMG_1733.jpg

Starburst Zoas

IMG_1813.jpg

Full Tank Shot

IMG_1795.jpg

akabryanhall

My new Prism chalice from juicy corals

IMG_1821.jpg

One day and already feading

IMG_1830.jpg

New AFAC buys:

Pink Skinned Red Dendro from juicy corals

IMG_1836.jpg

PPE Blasto from juicy corals

IMG_1833.jpg

akabryanhall

Thanks Jkunz!, I am in love with this coral. I think I might turn a bit more to nps corals, maybe a few sun corals, I really want a black hole sun coral.

akabryanhall

Just posting some new pics..

AFAC's PPE Blasto chompin on a scrimp

IMG_1858.jpg

Couple of AFAC's Dendro

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

My Trachy

IMG_1876.jpg

Devils Armor

IMG_1872.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
akabryanhall

It's probably my favorite. It's friggin rhyzo huge, well sort of. Well not really, but imagine a whole colony of the stuff..

With tentacles extended, probably a little bigger than a golf ball

Archived