inTank Media Baskets

Akabryanhall's 29G BC Softy/LPS

akabryanhall

I think i read somewhere you where thinking about a mh upgrade and the lfs told you you couldn't....go to www.nanotuners.com the 150w mh upgrade will let you keep you hood and still keep anything you want in you tank!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi is the sole species in the family Trachyphyllidae, and Wellsophyllia radiata is not an actual species but a variation of Trachyphyllia.

Oh cool. Thanks for clearing that up. can I still call mine Trachyphylia Candisius Stripidipus?

I think i read somewhere you where thinking about a mh upgrade and the lfs told you you couldn't....go to www.nanotuners.com the 150w mh upgrade will let you keep you hood and still keep anything you want in you tank!

Thanks for that, but I puked a little in the back of my throat when I saw the prices.

Give photobucket a try to host your pictures.

Lets give this a try

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_09831.JPG

yay

Hey call them because i was the exact same way and was like there is no way i'm going to pay that much for those lights, but when i called them it ended up being a ton cheaper that what was posted on there web page so call them and see they are always running deals and were absolutely wonderful to work with.....as far as why the prices are much hight on the web page i'm not for sure maybe they just haven't updated it, but i got mine a lot cheaper than they had listed?

Hey call them because i was the exact same way and was like there is no way i'm going to pay that much for those lights, but when i called them it ended up being a ton cheaper that what was posted on there web page so call them and see they are always running deals and were absolutely wonderful to work with.....as far as why the prices are much hight on the web page i'm not for sure maybe they just haven't updated it, but i got mine a lot cheaper than they had listed?

Thanks Colgan! i will probably give it a shot closer to the holiday's I would love to get a more natural look in there. i was actually up at 8:30 in the morning (I have the late shift with the newborn) and the blinds were open and the sun was pouring into the tank. It was a completely new view of my tank. Loved it for real!

Well the tank already looks great! I didn't upgrade lighting till three years deep but i wish i would have done it sooner. Keep up the great work tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Some new Pics!!

My new Pink Panties Acans from juicycorals.com

IMG_1136.jpg

My new Fatboy Duncans from juicycorals.com

IMG_1173.jpg

The bonus frag of Sunburst Zoas Juice sent me

IMG_1175.jpg

The Eagle Eye Zoas I got from Ccampo

IMG_1174.jpg

The Blasto I got from World Wide Corals display tank

IMG_1169.jpg

My orange green mouth ric

IMG_1157.jpg

My prism favia....This poor coral has endured many poor planning accidents...I am ashamed

IMG_1178.jpg

Rare shot of my frogspawns mouth

IMG_1177.jpg

My star polyp

IMG_1176.jpg

New FTS

IMG_1143.jpg

Nice frags and tanks so far! I really dig the blasto. I'd snap those duncans off that plug though.

Thanks for the comment, but why would you snap the duncans off of the plug?

It will look better and more natural. It won't encrust over the plug any time soon. You can glue them to the rockwork pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Elleance get really big. Make sure you have planned out its spot well. Also my buddy that loves these coral is here and has told me once they are established they grow fast and hate to be moved around.

Yeah, I'm dedicating the entire right side of my tank to him. Hopefully I will have a bigger tank b4 he outgrows mine,they grow pretty slow I think. Even if I don't get one, I will trade him for other corals. The two reasons I got this is it doesn't have sweeper tentacles, so I can accurately place corals out of reach, and this one is Australian, which is supposed to be a little more hardy than the Asian counterpart.

If I am wrong with any of my info please chime in!!

So I found some stuff in my tank that looked like egg sacks. Kinda freaked me out even though i had nothing to worry about. They were some kinda sponges, wish i didnt get rid of em..

IMG_1293.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the last few days have sucked

I noticed yesterday that I cant remember the last time I saw Billy, my royal gramma. I fed the fish to see if he would come out and nothing. He has either gone carpet surfing or died in the tank. As I was looking for him I took a closer look at my other fish to see if any of them had issues and noticed that my clown fish have a white residue all over them. I dont think it's ich or brooklynella. I went to LFS to get some antibacterial stuff..Melafix and that caused my corals to withdraw, which is normal as this stuff is 100% reef safe. Well then I noticed today that my elegance has not reopened and in fact has been has been decomposing. By the time I arrived at lfs, there was nothing left of him. The only thing we could think of is all of the adhesive I 've been using too much of triggered a chain reaction that killed my royal and my elegance and caused enough stress to my clowns to make them susceptible to infection. There is a chance my leather zapped him. I saw him shedding the other day. That coral was a Christmas gift from my mom, so that sucks double.

This is my first major setback and I fear it is not over. I will do a massive water change tomorrow and hopefully get some stability back into the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

So here is an update, I have been changing water like a madman and have gotten levels back down. Had a bit of an amonia spike from the gramma dying. Water is clean and things seem to be doing better with one exception

My new FTS streamlined after Renee donation

IMG_1379.jpg

My Green Button Polyps have an infection. Gave them an iodine dip tonight this is before the dip

IMG_1374.jpg

I think my trachy got stung by something. She has this blister I'm not sure how she got it

IMG_1372.jpg

Last, my african blue xenia is finally growing!

IMG_1376.jpg

The Blister on the trachy is gone but the button polyps are a work in progress..

I have bought a new false percula clownfish, from Jon over at O-R-C-A. He is a misbar ocsillaris, and quite young. I have a strange feeling that he will not last long however and am a bit down about it. Harry, my female black oscillaris has been quite aggressive towards him. I don't want to take pics just yet as I don't want everyone to get too attached yet. Cross your fingers.

I put him in after "sundown" when my actinics were on. This is usually the best time to introduce fish. The first night musta been hell on the little guy, cause harry was uber aggressive until long after the actinics had turned off. She even caught the baby and held ontohis tail for a few seconds. Then she went back to her home on the back wall. I did not expect him to last the night.

I fed everyone a LARGE meal this morning, and harry has still been sorta aggressive, but much less so than last night.

The little tyke will not hide. There is all sorts of rock work, but he remains in the open. Unfortunately, none of my coral is big enough for him to take shelter in.

As I look on, they are swimming in pretty close proximity, and except for the occasional darts at him, harry is remaining civil.

Your tank is my inspiration. Whenever i try to picture my own tank matured, all i can see is your tank. I have many years to go!

Thanks akabryanhall :happy: you tank is getting nicer as well. Guess in no time, your tank would be very nice as all your nice colorful corals frags grow bigger! By the way, my tank is only 2 years. :happy:

Juz what I think is that I still feels that you have quite alot of invertebrates for a tank that size. Maybe you can still cut down by afew numbers. Juz my suggestion :happy:

Thank you fro your compliment! Which inverts would you say I should get rid of, i.e. which ones aren't really worth having in here?

Thanks again!

Good luck with the new fish. The royal grammas tend to be pretty aggressive so I was worried about your purple fire fish. Of course, clowns can also be aggressive - as your seeing. Hope your little guy makes it.

Thank you fro your compliment! Which inverts would you say I should get rid of, i.e. which ones aren't really worth having in here?

Thanks again!

Hi akabryanhall :happy: Is really up to you :happy: Cos juz for your info, I have the same amount of snails that you had and I think my tank is about 1x bigger than your tank. Cos for me, I feels that is better that they had more than enough to eat than to fighting for food to share among so many. :happy:

Cos if I'm not wrong, you had 7 hermits too. And they also eat algae. Just that they dun really do cleaning on the glass like snails do. :happy:

And for the cucumber, you've gotta becareful as well. Cos sometimes it might be stress when the hermits climbs over them. Cucumber might spit out some stuff when they are being threaten and if they die, it might also risk your tank of beig crash :huh:

Not scaring you though. I juz feels that is juz some points that you need to take note of. :happy:

Cos you only had afew of each different cleaner team/invertebrates but when you add them all up in a nano tank, is alot. :huh:

what you say makes sense. I was even thinking about adding more hermits..lol. I don't think my cucumber is even alive. I added him over a month ago, and I have not seen him once. Even long after the lights go out, which is very hard to do in a 29G tank.

The new guy

IMG_1413.jpg

Harry the horrible

IMG_1434.jpg

The two together

IMG_1447.jpg

A cool shot of ma scrimp

IMG_1439.jpg

They get along fine now. They swim together with the odd snap. My dream of a half orange half black clownfish remains alive bwahaha

Good luck with the new fish. The royal grammas tend to be pretty aggressive so I was worried about your purple fire fish. Of course, clowns can also be aggressive - as your seeing. Hope your little guy makes it.

Thanks you. My gramma was always a perfect gentleman, until he bit the big one, him and my firefish developed a strange friendship. H ewould swim slowly behind the firefish with his mouth open. Just a sign of dominance I guess. The clownfish is finally being civil to the new one.

Archived