ReefCleaners.org

Lani's random photos

Lalani

Meh.. junk shots to get a feel for the exposures again. Will use a darker object in the foreground next time.

30 seconds:

IMG_7186.jpg

20-25 minutes:

Reflection of light from satellite?

IMG_7189.jpg

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey that's pretty sweet =] I wish I had a clear shot at the sky... oh wait, I do. Thank god for the coastline! :D

How'd you get it to expose for so long?

Must be nice where you live. :)

Bulb mode! Cloudy sky tonight, unfortunately, so my next attempt will have to wait. The next shot I'm going to try will be pointed more towards the North Star to see tighter trail circles.. the exposure will be more like 1 hour.

It is nice =] Maybe if you're lucky I'll go out tomorrow night and get some photos (even though it'll be like 30 degrees out!).

And for the exposure, I mean were you manually holding it, manual shutter release, servo rigging it...? I need to work out the best method for it because the sky has been so clear lately.

Must be nice where you live. :)

Bulb mode! Cloudy sky tonight, unfortunately, so my next attempt will have to wait. The next shot I'm going to try will be pointed more towards the North Star to see tighter trail circles.. the exposure will be more like 1 hour.

you should switch to stacking 30 second photos imo. long shots are too noisy

And for the exposure, I mean were you manually holding it

lol @ holding the button still for 30 minutes.

It is nice =] Maybe if you're lucky I'll go out tomorrow night and get some photos (even though it'll be like 30 degrees out!).

And for the exposure, I mean were you manually holding it, manual shutter release, servo rigging it...? I need to work out the best method for it because the sky has been so clear lately.

It was set up on a tripod and I used a remote to set it off so there wasn't any shake. :)

you should switch to stacking 30 second photos imo. long shots are too noisy

The only reason that 20 minute one is noisy is because I used a gradient filter in PS to brighten the sky.. because the settings weren't right in-camera.. As I said.. those were junk shots. ;)

Noise isn't really a problem when you use the in-camera noise reduction, imo.

lol @ holding the button still for 30 minutes.

I know people who've done it. My old art teacher's sister had an exhibition of works she did where she held the shutter open manually for several hours. Ridiculous yes, but still cool.

It was set up on a tripod and I used a remote to set it off so there wasn't any shake. :)

Smart Lani is smart =]

I know people who've done it. My old art teacher's sister had an exhibition of works she did where she held the shutter open manually for several hours. Ridiculous yes, but still cool.

real long exposure photographers use the rubber band + tic tac method.

Noise isn't really a problem when you use the in-camera noise reduction, imo.

doesn't this essentially double the exposure time though?

i.e. one exposure to burn the pic and one exposure (of almost the same length) to give the noise reduction algorithm enough information to work with?

Yup, unfortunately.. I took a 1 hour shot last night (2 hour w/nr on) and it was a crappy shot.. wasted time. I may try the stacking next time. Wish I had a friggin equatorial mount.

Almost finished with a rough draft of the new website... will be uploading it later for y'all's inspection.

more detail prs

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

^^program that stacks photos specifically for star trails. Set the cam on continuous shooting, 30 second shots for whatever time interval (unfortunately, must use jpgs), along with a shot with the lens cap on for noise reduction. If you have a foreground object that is too dark, you also want a shot that you've lightpainted your foreground. Then, stick all the images in the program, and it reduces it down to a tiff or jpg for you.

real long exposure photographers use the rubber band + tic tac method.

lol, troof. standing for hours with your finger on a button is NOT cool, it's stupid. rubber band and tic tac, tape and a pebble, all sorts of smart and cheap ways to do long exposures without holding a button down manually.

lol, troof. standing for hours with your finger on a button is NOT cool, it's stupid. rubber band and tic tac, tape and a pebble, all sorts of smart and cheap ways to do long exposures without holding a button down manually.

Yeah, it's called Bulb mode and a remote. :P

Yeah, it's called Bulb mode and a remote. :P

yeah, but before i had one of those, duct tape and a pebble :P

either way, i still wasn't holding the button ;)

:lol:

Almost done with the site.... just have to figure out how to put a clean and simple slideshow on the homepage.. and do the contact page... then I'm finished with the rough draft.

:lol:

Almost done with the site.... just have to figure out how to put a clean and simple slideshow on the homepage.. and do the contact page... then I'm finished with the rough draft.

I think I may have the solution...! :D

• 2 months later...
Needreefunds

First, how is Mom today??

Second, How long before you develop an eye?

Can you "learn" this?

Do you "see" the shot before you even take them?

Mom's doing fine. Thankfully, she never had any pain, just some minor discomfort. She's been taking it easy at home. Thanks for asking. :)

It's difficult to say. I could post some of the pics I took when I first started.... and you would think a kindergartner could take better pics, lol. It all depends on how much time you have to dedicate to the hobby. Some people are naturals, while other acquire the eye after a while. My best advice would be to take a ton of pics. After a while, you'll learn which ones work better than others and you'll develop your own style.

For me, I dunno.. With certain things, I just snap away, taking pics without thinking about it... Other times, I think before I shoot or go somewhere to take specific shots.

These hospital pics... I wasn't thinking about it... I was tired, lol.

:flower:

do you have trouble with composition using that lens? filling the frame and whatnot. I mean obviously those photos worked, but in general.

Needreefunds
Mom's doing fine. Thankfully, she never had any pain, just some minor discomfort. She's been taking it easy at home. Thanks for asking. :)

Good to hear.

It's difficult to say. I could post some of the pics I took when I first started.... and you would think a kindergartner could take better pics, lol. It all depends on how much time you have to dedicate to the hobby. Some people are naturals, while other acquire the eye after a while. My best advice would be to take a ton of pics. After a while, you'll learn which ones work better than others and you'll develop your own style.

For me, I dunno.. With certain things, I just snap away, taking pics without thinking about it... Other times, I think before I shoot or go somewhere to take specific shots.

These hospital pics... I wasn't thinking about it... I was tired, lol.

:flower:

Pretty much what I figured, but, it's nice hearing your thoughts. :)

:flower::grouphug:

Archived