Top Shelf Aquatics

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

hey guys, i just got a JBJ 28 gal from someone in NY. It has been running for a month + before i bought it. I got 30 lbs of sand with the tank. I filled it up with SW from a LFS who used RO water and now i am in the middle of aqua scaping. i took a breather bc my neckkkkkk hurts. I also have a 29 hex that i am taking my LR from. The hex also has over 20 morphs of zoas. i plan on keeping them all in my nano. I am so excited for the nano im so happy i bought it!

-2 mag 1200 return pumps- - - - I have 2 Koralia # 1's im my hex, should i put them in my jbj?

-no skimmer- any suggestions?

-i was thinking about a fuge but then there is no room for a skimmer. I saw someone make a fuge out of a CPR skimmer, looked pretty cool.

-LR, i really do not know how much exactly, but i would think that i have a lot.

**--do you guys think that i would have to wait for the jbj to cycle before I add my zoas or livestock? the sand was from the established jbj before I bought it..Rock is from my hex that has been for awhile now. The new LR was added sometime btween mid sept, to early oct, easily. That LR was from someone elses tank that has been up for over a year.

I plan on getting the PC actinics upgrade asap, prob within the next 2 weeks. I will post pics of my finished aqua scaping by 1 est.

**--any one raise their hood? if you did, what legs did you use?

oh one more thing, i bought these bad boys from my LFS. They are sitting at the LFS, waiting to get picked up. When should i put them in?

clowns007.jpg

heres the nano before the LR was added. this was from last night.

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

and my hex before LR was taken out. I really think you guys do not want to see it now lol

IMG_1045.jpg

This is my first nano. I always liked them. I originally was going to set up a 40 gal breeder in my room, but i got this instead and bought a new tv. mom was happy that there isnt a 36in long tank in my room :lol:

Thanks for looking guys, really appreciate it. I would love to year any suggestions or comments. You guys are experts!

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i already decided on an all zoa tank, a pair of clowns, and most likely a frog spawn.oh and a goby of some sort. here are some pics of the aqua scaping. i am prob going to keep it this way idk imgoing to have to sleep on it. the rock isnt touching any of the sides of the tank. there are a good 8 caves inside the middle. i made some mini caves for a goby. i decided to place the rocks this way since i have a bunch of zoas i figured flat surfaces would be good for development and expansion, JMO

sorry for the pics i took them in a rush i am so sleepy. it took me close to 3 hours to move rock from my hex, and place it in the nano to my liking.

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051-1.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

anyone else have micro bubbles? why do i have them ? is it bc of my return pumps?

PremiLove

Tank is as I stated on MR LOOKING GREAT

hard to keep to tank threads going hahahah

all the best

Fellow NYC JBJ 28

is that a thread name? i searched the forums and didnt get anything..

is that a thread name? i searched the forums and didnt get anything..

lmao never mind. i got it hahahah.

i decided to post on several forums only bc i am new to this tank and i would like to know as much as possible. thanks coops

I want thank hppd432 for the azoo fan idea. My temp was creeping up into the 81 to 82 degree range when the MH was running. Slapped the azoo on the back of the tank last night and set it up to run only during the MH cycle, now I am a rock solid 78 day and night.

Thanks!

where is the info on this azo fan idea? I would love to see it!

someone PM me if they can so i have what i need as I am likely blind and looking right over it

Thanks Crazy Phil, glad it worked out for you.

Cooper, the two fan works great and fits nicely without any mods. Of course you have a little more evaporation but not that significant as long as you have an ATO or stay on top of things.

I have mine setup by getting a timer from Lowes that had two inputs that allowed the MH and the fan to come on and go of at same time. Since it has cooled off outside I haven't even had mine turned on but in the hot days of summer it worked great.

This was taken from above :-)

IMG_2497.jpg

well...so far 8 days into my new adventure. No cycle!!! I guess cured LR, live sand, & water from LFS paid off. Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Naitrate 15, and Ph about 8.1. Within the last week I I have noticed alot of cool specimens on the LR. A fuzzy shroom that has just about doubled in size...and a colony on star polyps that are already propagating and spreading like crazy...not to mention tube worms all over the place. Then a few days ago I noticed a few Aiptasia, YUCK! I guess I'll have to go and get some of that Aiptasia-X that I have heard about. Well anyway, I went to LFS yesterday after work and bought my first additions. A nice frag on hammerhead with 2 heads and a rock littered with anthelia. Hope my impatience does not bite me in the rear!

I'll post some pice after the MH comes on.

Thanks for the link. I probably order that fan. I dont have an ATO but I basically put water in the back every few days as needed!

Thanks again

carpy1@mac.com

This was a while ago now before i stock with anything. Im drilling it today to add on a sump tank. nervous but cant wait. Has anyone else done this and had any problems that i should know about.

post-38572-1227345525_thumb.jpg

Well, I haven't posted in about 2 months. My 28 Nano Cube has been set up since the end of March using LR and some stock from a 65 reef I broke down and turned into an Undulate Trigger tank. I love the tank! I've been using a JBJ 1/20 Chiller, but just today removed it and decided to see what a dual fan blowing on the back chambers will do for me. So far so good. So now I have both stock pumps running steady (one used to feed the chiller under the stand, needless to say it limited the flow somewhat once it returned back to the tank) and 2 Koralia Nanos on a Koralia wavemaker (gotta love "Bill Me Later" or else I wouldn't have shelled out the bucks for it). I've kept the center basket and from top to bottom use: floss, Purigen and then ChemiPure Elite. I've been using the stock skimmer and change the wood air stone every 2 months or so. Seems to work good for me. I try to do at least a 1 gallon WC each week, definitely every other week. I add 5 ml. Tech-M and 5 ml. Kent Liquid Calcium to each fresh gallon of saltwater for the change. I also add a capful, about 4.5 ml., of Kent Iodine each week. Daily I use 7.5 ml of each C-balance component. I have a JBJ ATO for evap., which I'm sure will increase with the fan. I'm using the stock bulb, but plan to upgrade to a Phoenix 14k after the holidays and get a PC actinic mod as well. Here's some pics:

PB230032.jpg

PB230027.jpg

PB230020.jpg

PB230015.jpg

PB230029.jpg

Thanks for looking.. I welcome questions and comments.

yes! just pick up my NC today! and i love it a local gave me a great deal i just couldn't pass up. It is nanotuners modded with 2x18w PCs, jbj nano arctica chiller, i got 25lbs of really purple live rock, sand, and koralia 1 also with it for only $550

ohh yea i also got a RSM with stand for 400 from the same guy and i also got live rock and sand with that

i will show a thread soon after i fill it up

cowboys2222222

hey im getting my 28gal HQI on wednesday.....just have a few questions..

1. how are the stock pumps working.....are they creating enough water flow???

2. what do you have in each of the three chambers

3. is everyone using a chiller...i really dont want to invest in one

thanks and nice tanks

hey im getting my 28gal HQI on wednesday.....just have a few questions..

1. how are the stock pumps working.....are they creating enough water flow???

2. what do you have in each of the three chambers

3. is everyone using a chiller...i really dont want to invest in one

thanks and nice tanks

welcome to the club coyboys.

1. for me stock pumps work fine. I have also added 2 Koralia Nano's

2. center overflow is a fuge w/cheato and LR rubble with 18w light on reverse cycle from MH light. heater in right chamber which isn't even plugged in since i started my fuge light on reverse cycle, temp flustuates from 77.5° @ night to 79.2° by the time MH lights turn off.

3. get yourself an Azoo fan. the double one. it works wonders. i think alot of people would tell you the same.

Good luck with the set-up and can't wait to see some pics.

Here are some crappy pics of my tank. Can someone please help me with my pics. I don't know how you guys get such good pics!!

FTS

post-39930-1228191906_thumb.jpg

This is Target

post-39930-1228192182_thumb.jpg

I call him Fido. He will eat right out of my hand

post-39930-1228192232_thumb.jpg

purple/pink birds nest

post-39930-1228192247_thumb.jpg

hammer head coral

post-39930-1228192282_thumb.jpg

The latest additions just today are a Six Line Wrasse and a Red Open Brain Coral. I will post some pics as soon as I can get some good ones. Hope everyone had a good holiday! :)

for those of you who use the stock skimmer does the air pump sound like a truck? i quit on it altogether it sounds like a semi is in my room

hey people just added a cpr bak pak to my jbj 28 and its freakn sweet its so much more quiter than that crappy skimmer that comes with the package and its doing wonders for my water its crystal clear, ill soon post pix once the lights come on again

cowboys2222222

DId any one get their cube of the internet and get the ballast once they recieved the shipment...

Ive been looking everywhere to see if i got it and misplaced it but i dont think thats the case....has this happened to anyone else

No ballast...anyone else experience this

Archived