Innovative Marine Aquariums

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I purchased my 28G HQI back on 11/17 when I received it on 11/20 it had a 8 inch scratch on one side of it so i had to have Marine Depot send me a new one and set it up on 11/29. So from that point on I've had some life problems so all have done so far is a wet run. Currently my set up is completely stock. I have a 100w stealth and a digital thermometer. I'm now just getting everything straightened out financially (recovered from a fire in my apartment building) so I want to start setting things up and upgrading. So now getting to the point of my post, I want to start off by upgrading the stock pumps to MJ1200's. So what I'd like to know is has anyone done this? Is it necessary? One of my stock pumps sounds pretty loud compared to the other one so I just wanted to replace them. Any issues with the MJ's fitting in the back of the tank? Do you think it is necessary to make the swap? Any opinions or comments on this would be appreciated. Second, I don't think that my thermometer is working to well (Coralife Digital Thermometer), any recommendations on a digital one? I do not want to spend a arm and a leg because I'm thinking that I may get a ReefKeeper 2 in the future so nothing over $20 or so. How are the Rainbow Lifegard Thermometers? Once I get these new parts I'm going to proceed on getting the live sand and rock and stabilizing all my readings. If you have any pointers or information on this would be great as well. This is really my 1st reef tank and my first salt water tank (not including the one that was wrecked in the fire) so any advise would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2xgrandchampion

Hey all ordered my Tank Friday, should be arriving tomorrow, i've been doing research here an numerous other places and cant wait to dive into the saltwater hobby. I just want everyone who has posted on this thread to know that the info has been very helpful and the ideas and pictures are truely inspiring. Keep up the GOOD work ALL Of U!!!!

AMAZING Tank! How much $ in critters do you think are in that setup?

I also had a question about the JBJ28 stand.. Is it pretty stable? I have a young son that might push against it or something and I am worried it might tip.. When the tank is filled, is this stand pretty stable?

AMAZING Tank! How much $ in critters do you think are in that setup?

I also had a question about the JBJ28 stand.. Is it pretty stable? I have a young son that might push against it or something and I am worried it might tip.. When the tank is filled, is this stand pretty stable?

I don't really wanna think how much is in there... LoLz... I got most of my corals as frags and grew them out.. some have been growing for more than 2 years, ie: AoG and Superman monti colonies... :)

anyway, the JBJ stand is built pretty well... and I don't think your young son can tip this over when fully stocked with water, LR, LS, and corals... :)

good luck with your set up...

Just ordered my tank today. it will arrive on Monday. i am so excited to get it. the plans are building in my head for what i want to do. i will be putting my other tank into this one, at least some of the other tank and thinning some stock out. everyone's tanks look so good, i hope mine will some day.

Jason

Marvin, that tank is UNREAL

great job

Thanks... hopefully with TLC and more time, it'll look better... :)

Just ordered my tank today. it will arrive on Monday. i am so excited to get it. the plans are building in my head for what i want to do. i will be putting my other tank into this one, at least some of the other tank and thinning some stock out. everyone's tanks look so good, i hope mine will some day.

Jason

congrats Jason.... welcome to the club... make sure you read the whole thread and take some notes on which tanks will help you get to your goal... don't hesitate to post any questions here as there are a lot of 28g JBJ owners that are willing to help.... :)

never ending aquascaping... here's the latest version... ;)

FTS_12-09-08.jpg

FTS_12-09-08B.jpg

FTS_12-09-08C.jpg

video...

th_12-09-08_Vid1.jpg

Awesome tank!!

How long have you had that vortech running? do you have the mp20 or the 40? What setting do you have it running?

I've always thought about adding it, but hesitant to pull the trigger.

Keep up the good work!!

Awesome tank!!

How long have you had that vortech running? do you have the mp20 or the 40? What setting do you have it running?

I've always thought about adding it, but hesitant to pull the trigger.

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks man.. :)

I put the MP40 in the tank on 10-28-08... so far so good.. I like tried the short pulse mode and reefcrest mode... so far, I like the short pulse mode better... since my tank is smaller, I'm have the MP40 tuned all the way to its lowest setting (1000 gph) on short pulse with the pulses dial turned about 1/4... it creates a nice water movement on the water surface and I don't really see any dead spot in the whole tank.. but I do increase the dial to about half to stir and clean up the rocks every so often... :)

now that the Euro-Reef skimmer has FINALLY dropped does anyone know if it actually fits in the 28g. Judging by the footprint of the smaller unit (3.25" X 2.25") it doesnt look feasable. Does anyone know the dimensions of the rear chambers? It looks to me like it may only fit in the centre chamber which doesnt really seem ideal.

Power outage in Maine due to an ice storm. we've been without electric for a day, 1-2 more expected. fortunately the tank is new, only have sand and water. I'm thanking my wife for making me promise to finish a few house projects before getting the tank fully stocked :)

Are any of you using batery backup? I thought I'd use a computer backup system and hook my 50W heater and 1 pump to it. Figured that would be minimal functionality with longest batery time.

I do, and I have it set up like that, wavemaker and heater plugged into UPS. only problem is there not that efficient at such a low watt usage. The damn beeping probably uses more power then my wavemaker. Anyways it only gives you about 6-8 hrs so if you were outta power for 4 days your still screwed.

Thanks, for the info. What UPS are you using? I think the 6-8 hrs would at least get me enough time to prepare another solution. We lose power regularly, but the extended outage is rare. I had intentions to get the backup, it just moved up the priority list.

Interesting point about the low wattage. I run 2 heaters, one in the left and one in the right rear chambers. A 50W and 100W. I got the 100W as a freebie and figured redundancy is good. Based on your comment, I wonder if I'd get better results if I plugged the 100W in.

Vaporize - The $ vaporizer

Hi Guys,

Since everybody are 28G HQI Nanocube owner, I thought I ask a quick question.

Yesterday I opened my new 28G HQI Nanocube box and after trying to assemble everything, it seems that it is missing the HQI ballast & LED cord. The huge box is all sealed and not opened before.

Do they have 2 boxes? Because within my box, I cannot find any space that can fit a HQI ballast, unless it is put inside the tank (only skimmer is in a box inside the tank).

Thanks for any insights.

2xgrandchampion
Hi Guys,

Since everybody are 28G HQI Nanocube owner, I thought I ask a quick question.

Yesterday I opened my new 28G HQI Nanocube box and after trying to assemble everything, it seems that it is missing the HQI ballast & LED cord. The huge box is all sealed and not opened before.

Do they have 2 boxes? Because within my box, I cannot find any space that can fit a HQI ballast, unless it is put inside the tank (only skimmer is in a box inside the tank).

Thanks for any insights.

Yes there are two boxes your ballast probably will arrive soon, otherwise i'd contact the person or company you bought it from.

Just wanted to say Nice tanks!!! We are setting up a 24gal JBJ nano cube (nite-vu moonlights this Thursday) and I am getting excited. originally the tank was sent as a gift for my son and I was very reluctant... its growing on me :)

Hi guys. I've been a lurker here up to now, and all I can say is that you are all fanatics in the best sense of the term. I've been mesmerized by the tanks and the advice.

I have two questions for you. The first (and I am sure there is a link around here to point me to this) is where you got the live rock? I would think that it shouldn't be too big for a small aquarium (I am going to get this one fairly soon, with nanotuner modifications). I am not worried about price so much. I'm new to this hobby, so I'd just like to avoid problems.

The second, I notice that the idea of an UPS has been brought up here. I find that power does cut off periodically around my place, and maybe every third year, the power could be off for > 8 hours. Is there some discussion elsewhere on what UPS to buy so that the tank could be powered for an extended period? This really terrifies me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. (I can't imagine I could set up cubes that look as nice as yours, but I plan to try.)

---------------

P.S.: I think I could use a UPS for my computer for this purpose. It's a pure sine wave device. This should protect whatever motors are being used.

SamK: Live rock is either purchased at a local fish store or ordered online through a fish store in the same country. The best way to go is find a store you can drive to so you can pick out pieces that will work well with the size of your tank. Buying online is a good option if you are buying for a larger tank (over 75 gallons) since you usually get better prices when you buy alot at once.

A UPS is a pretty unrealistic solution if your power goes out for 8+ hours at a time. Your entire tank would likely not last an hour with a typical UPS, but you could probably just power your heater and powerheads for a while. A better way to go would be to get a gas powered electric generator, since they are relatively cheap and can last days on just a few jugs of gas.

Archived