ReefCleaners.org

My 30 gal Salty...

purplefirefish

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purplefirefish
That sucks I hope everything makes it out alive.

thanks.. me to.. atleast i hope it doesnt continue to spread to every zoa colony :(

i think if it did... i probably wouldnt get back into it.. just keep the LR and fish.. and whatever else survives!

purplefirefish

so, everything was dipped and shaked down yesterday with the reef dip because i wasnt able to find any furan2...

today i called every LFS in the yellow pages and was able to locate some furan2, and immediately rushed home to start dipping!

these guys were found in the buckets afterwards...

IMG_1368a.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

all known pests of zoas! im sure if there are 2 evil snails... theres more... i'll probably do a regular reef dip on all of my corals tomorrow just to try and get rid of any remaining snails...

while i had the camera out i decided to snap some pics of the tank...

heres the main coral thats affected... some of its already starting to open!

IMG_1373a.jpg

IMG_1374a.jpg

IMG_1375a.jpg

although some spots look like a lost cause :-/

heres a few other pieces that werent looking so hot yesterday before the dipping...

this one was completely closed yesterday... and now you can only see a small spot of the brown along the back side of it..

IMG_1376a.jpg

this gsp makes me nervous, because i cant pull it out and dip it...

IMG_1377A.jpg

this is a frag from the other pieces, it was all closed up yesterday but has fully opened...

IMG_1378a.jpg

this one still doesnt look so great...

IMG_1381a.jpg but is starting to open..

these didnt have any problems, but i dont think i had shared them yet...

IMG_1384a.jpg

IMG_1385a.jpg

IMG_1386a.jpg

IMG_1387a.jpg

this one is sitting in the 10 gallon sexy tank... check out the little bubble type dots on all of the polyps.. they are new?

IMG_1383a.jpg

heres a new crab ive just recently started seeing...

hes probably evil, but i havent caught him yet! hes pretty tho.. black with red and white markings...

IMG_1390a.jpg

IMG_1391a.jpg

IMG_1392a.jpg

lastly the crazy strawberry crab...

IMG_1363a.jpg

and his house of the moment..

IMG_1371a.jpg

That's great that you're seeing such an improvement!

The critters that you saw after the dip aren't necessarily bad.

Pods- Good guys (most of the time, until they get REALLY big anyway)

Asterina Stars-- sometimes a problems, sometimes not. I have some in my tanks that are not a problem.

Snails-- I think those are Collonista, not Sundials.

Collonista=good

Sundial=bad

purplefirefish
That's great that you're seeing such an improvement!

The critters that you saw after the dip aren't necessarily bad.

Pods- Good guys (most of the time, until they get REALLY big anyway)

Asterina Stars-- sometimes a problems, sometimes not. I have some in my tanks that are not a problem.

Snails-- I think those are Collonista, not Sundials.

Collonista=good

Sundial=bad

thanks... atleast now i dont feel the need to rip apart my tank :P

i have an order 5000+ pods on the way too so i was hoping my tank would be in check for tomorrow.

once again over done... but i didnt want the twin spot goby to starve haha.

that strawberry is amazing in color.

i keep trying to get a better picture of it, but its always in hiding... its HUGE haha...

those 2 flower pot corals keep me on edge too... one came in as a freebie when ordered from mr coral (the green one) and the other a friend gave me along with a few mushroom rocks...

i hear the red/pink one is hardier... with this luck i may need it :P

purplefirefish
u need to set up a refugium and start populating pods

welll thats what the 3 gallon tank, that the strawberry crab is in, was set back up for... but i felt to bad for the crab to leave it at the store LOL....

although i still might use it for that.. hes way to big and slow to be hunting tiny pods...

i ordered a ton of pods from livecopepods.com

i ordered...

1 - OCEAN PODS PREMIUM - 4-Pack (roughly 1000 pods) it states that "one bottle of the Ocean Pods for each of the 50 gallons for establishing a culture, restocking a tank or seeding a refugium."

1 - 8 oz. REEF PODS, Live Copepods, 300+

1 - TIGER PODS (1000+) Gut-Loaded Tigriopus

1 - 8 oz. BUZZ'S BUGS MELLOW (500+) Gut-Loaded LIVE COPEPODS

1 - Tisbe Mini-Super Culture - 3,000 animals (10x Reef Pods dose)

i couldnt decide which one to get... so i got them all? LOL...

this site is also owned by Dr. Adelaide Rhodes.. the copepod expert.

crazy amount of pods. I should start selling them, my tank is infested with pods and baby snails. and all my frogfish eats in ghost shrimp and damsels, so I really don't have a use for pods

purplefirefish
crazy amount of pods. I should start selling them, my tank is infested with pods and baby snails. and all my frogfish eats in ghost shrimp and damsels, so I really don't have a use for pods

my 10 gallon is infested... i actually used the chemipure bags that i was taking out this week to place in the 3 gallon to let all of the pods that were on it have a chance to escape before trashing the bags. :P

all of the bottles of pods supposibly have a shelf life of a few weeks.. i was thinking leaving them open on the shelf and dumping one bottle into the tank a week...

1 bottle into the 3 gallon and some if not a whole bottle into the 10 gallon...

just to pod it up :P

purplefirefish

welll after a fun trip to the furan-2 "spa" these guys are looking a little better?

as you can see theres some zoas starting to open up all over the rock today... yesterday only a few were open at the bottom, and the day before i had 0 open...

IMG_1393a.jpg

IMG_1394a.jpg

the gsp.. still not so happy...

IMG_1395a.jpg

this ones got a few more opening... and a few still looking lost.

IMG_1396a.jpg

this ones got some major improvement... i circled the ones that i thought were completely lost.. and today you can see a lil skirt showing..

IMG_1397a.jpg

IMG_1398a.jpg

the mushrooms didnt mind the salinty dip... check out all the babies from them moving around...

(i refer to these as my mardi gras mush's haha)

IMG_1399a.jpg

IMG_1400a.jpg

also.. im working on snail proofing the jbj ato probes..

purplefirefish
Hope they bounce back for ya...

How are my nems? :flower:

they still love me.. haha they havent split again tho.. maybe i need to feed them more.

Why did you order 5000 pods?

bc i have a hungry fish... and 3 tanks i can put them in.

and... okay really i didnt think it through, i just added a bunch of crap to the basket and when i read the order email.. i was like wow. haha

Why did you order 5000 pods?

bc i have a hungry fish... and 3 tanks i can put them in.

and... okay really i didnt think it through, i just added a bunch of crap to the basket and when i read the order email.. i was like wow. haha

purplefirefish

hmmm an update...

they're looking better...

IMG_1401b.jpg

IMG_1402b.jpg

these are doing better... not great? haha

IMG_1403b.jpg

starting to re-open...

IMG_1410b.jpg

and to fix the snail flood issues... i cut some pieces of the extra plastic strips that came with the jbj and glued them around the sides, and then wrapped the whole thing with a filter media bag. it's not the cutest thing in the tank, but its working.

IMG_1412.jpg

• 1 month later...
purplefirefish
omgomgomg

Helluva pom pom right there!!!

:lol:

all i had close enough to snap a picture was my phone...

and i havent seen the crab again since then to see if its still sporting the sexy pom.

LOL I love Pom Poms! Does yours come into the open? I just purchased some last week and seen them like twice! Nice tank!

purplefirefish
LOL I love Pom Poms! Does yours come into the open? I just purchased some last week and seen them like twice! Nice tank!

mine comes and goes... sometimes it'll be out for a week and then it'll be gone for a few days

• 2 weeks later...

Archived