Cultivated Reef

40g custom acrylic rimless cube

cbort

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some early morning pics and i didn't realize how much sunlight hits my tank on the right side. I am usually at work from 7am-7pm, so i don't see it. No wonder why my toadstool opens up in that direction. He is just sun bathing!

pics279-1.jpg

pics280-1.jpg

pics281-1.jpg

pics282-1.jpg

pics283-1.jpg

pics284-1.jpg

It looks way better with the light suspended. It's blasphemy to use the mounting legs on a rimless tank.

Tank looks great, though I preferred the black sand.

Did you get the AquaC EV120 yet? Report back how that goes, I'm thinking of getting one.

It looks way better with the light suspended. It's blasphemy to use the mounting legs on a rimless tank.

Tank looks great, though I preferred the black sand.

Did you get the AquaC EV120 yet? Report back how that goes, I'm thinking of getting one.

Hey "justreef" thanks for looking! There are so many tanks on this site its hard to get any feed back on your tank!

My point exactly! Rimless deserves a suspended fixture! I did like the black sand also, but you should see this in person! The white sand makes all the colors bounce a lot better than the black did!

I have had my AquaC EV120 for about a year and a half. I had it on this tank last time i had it set up, and then i had it on my 80g cube. But so far i have not put it on this tank yet. I do 5g water changes every friday, and my bioload is very low, so for now i am going skimmerless! Also my coil from my chiller takes up too much room in my sump, so there isn't exactly enough room for it! Make an offer and you can have mine! :P Works great! I love the fact that you have lots of different ways to tune it.

Nice setup!

I've allways been a fan of rimless tanks, preferably with "no" surface agitation... Sucker for crystal clear top views... *drool*

The suspended lights made all the difference IMO, now redirect the PH's to make it perfect! :P

I prefer the white sand. Much cleaner look.

//Steffo

love this kind of tank! I hope to have one like it some day. I can see why you bought it back from your friend. I like the white sand better than the black sand.

nice setup

when you had the aquacev120 on this tank before how did it skim?

i have one on my 40 br and it just doesnt skim consistently

it skims really well for 2-3 days and just stops dead, then i clean it out and starts skimming again

its annoying i have to clean soooo often

Nice setup!

I've allways been a fan of rimless tanks, preferably with "no" surface agitation... Sucker for crystal clear top views... *drool*

The suspended lights made all the difference IMO, now redirect the PH's to make it perfect! :P

I prefer the white sand. Much cleaner look.

//Steffo

Thanks Steffo for the compliments! I too am a big fan of rimeless tanks, and once you have one it is damn near impossible to ever own a canopy again! :P I am even getting ready to build a custom 18x18x8 frag/clam tank, which is why i got the second light setup for another open top tank! For my next pictures i will shut the pump off and snap a few! I have a lot of flow in the tank, so its either sand blowing every where or ripples!

love this kind of tank! I hope to have one like it some day. I can see why you bought it back from your friend. I like the white sand better than the black sand.

Thanks anitmatter! Everyone should own an open top rimelss tank! i can't walk through my living room with out stopping to gaze at it! My last tank was larger and still a cube, but it just didn't do it for me! I had to have this thing back! Got a good deal for it too! Traded a dual 175W MH setup for it! Originally sold it for over 500.00

nice setup

when you had the aquacev120 on this tank before how did it skim?

i have one on my 40 br and it just doesnt skim consistently

it skims really well for 2-3 days and just stops dead, then i clean it out and starts skimming again

its annoying i have to clean soooo often

FateX9- when i first got my skimmer it was the same here with the cleaning every 3 or so days. First two days it would kick butt, then would dwindle off. But after playing around with it for awhile i got it working better. Very touchy as far as how far in the water it was! I wish they would have made a line on the skimmer or something to tell ya how deep to have it. But i could go way over a week with out cleaning it and it was still pulling crud out. Problem was my sump never had the same amount of water in it!

What kind of SPS frag would work well in my tank? I don't dose anything as of right now. I do add supplements Kent Marine Nano Reef Part A and B. I do religious 5g water changes on Fridays. Just wanna try a frag or two of some sps, because i have never tried anything besides LPS and softies thus far. Would i do alright with pink birds next or a green or red or purple cap frag?

Sure: both the birdsnest (Seriatopora hystrix) and plate montipora (Montipora capricornis) should do fine, but you will probably have to dose calcium and magnesium in the long run, as they are fast growers.

Also the branching Montipora digitata should be ok.

Best of luck

• 4 weeks later...

Received a free sheet of acrylic last week! 52x47 3/8" what should i do with it? I have a guy that will cut it for me for free too!

2 20x20x6" frag tanks?

another display tank?

lol another tank like yours for me.Im thinking of building a 22x22x14 ish cube soon.Wish i could find a stand to work with this size tank without having to build one.Your setup looks great by the way.

• 1 month later...

can't wait to see your build thread! I love seeing custom cubes!

as far as a stand, you can always get your tape measure and head to a nice furniture store and see if ya can find a nice end table that will do the job.

**Small Update**

Tank is doing well...allowing it to mature a few months after my last few additions of a Crocea Clam, some nice Blastos, a very cool blue/purple/green eye 6" Chalice, and an alien eye closed brain.

**Finished the 32x32x8T frag tank. Has a corner overflow. Water Tested.

**Aquired a custom acrylic 24x24x12 with external overflow for 25.00 (undecided on what i will do with this yet)

**Aquired a 240g glass tank 96x24x24 drilled 10times for CL and center Overflow for 100.00 (catch is it has a repaired piece of glass on the very bottom) holds water, unsure what i will do with this tank yet

Will get pics up very soon!

If decide to sell that 24x24 let me know...........The glass i had cut for mine didnt fit 100% and leaked first time so i gave up on glass one

will let ya know. As of right now. looks to be my second display tank. Before i went and built my 32x32x8 frag tank, i was actually looking to build a 24x24x?? for a frag tank. So this works out perfect. Now i either have 2 displays or 2 frag tanks. Tho with 32x32 foot print, i don't think i will need another frag tank.

I think acrylic is alot easier to work with than glass. Tho with glass, if you don't get it straight the first time you can always scrape and start again. Acrylic is not so forgiving, but atleast it drys fast!

I am really getting into this whole fragging thing!! Last month i traded maybe 10-15 polyps of 3 different colored zoos for a viper 70W clamp lamp. Then sold the clamp lamp for 125.00 shipped. So essentially i sold the three colors of zoos (10-15 polyps) for over 100.00

I don't quite have room to set up the 32x32 frag tank yet, so i have a small frag rack started in my display tank, and it now has about 6 colors of zoos, 4 GSP's a candy cane frage and a toadstool frag.

i can't stop cutting!!

Been a while since i posted pics. I have been allowing my tank to mature a little bit before i added anything new.

Figured it was time to add a few more corals and here i what i got!

Plate coral. HOT PINK by day and purple by night

PICT0152.jpg

PICT0156.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

New Clam

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

Red/Green blastos

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0157.jpg

Some pics of my eagle eyes

pics351.jpg

pics350_3.jpg

Random Shot

pics352.jpg

Christmas tree rock making a huge comback!

pics354.jpg

Full actinic shot

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0154.jpg

2 sweet favias first one is purple and lavender second is purple rings with neon green mouths

PICT0142.jpg

PICT0143.jpg

This sweet Chalice is purple, blue, lavender, turquise, with neon green mouths. It had actually died back a bit at the LFS but it has already began to grow in the past 3 weeks.

PICT0144.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived