Innovative Marine Aquariums

mskurdah

i have a crocea and a maxima in my 5g tank. not recommended though. the 33w LEDs are barely enough for the crocea and seemly overkill for the maxima.

the maxima moved a good 3 inches away from the center of the light but the crocea cant seem to get enough of it.

i do frequent water changes to prevent waste build up in such a small tank.

i think i was able to do this for 2 months now is because of the LED system. the temperature stayed constant at 78F so that puts less stress on them.

i test ALK/CA every once in a while to sample how constant it stays.

one mistake i made was that the tank is young so im fighting diatoms...doesnt seem to effect the clams though.

• 2 weeks later...
non-photosynt

You have windows with sunlight ;) Only watch for overheating.

I have 2 baby Maximas in 10-20g tank for more, than 2 yrs, they progressed from 3/4" (2 cm) to ~3" (7.5 cm).

^^^ditto! :happy:

btw, my crocea's growing his 2nd scute layer now! fingerscrossed

the 1st 'scute' is fully layered/laid down and now i can see the edge of the next layer just beginning.

but definitely, get a chiller if you're going to put it in the sunlight. :unsure:

Galloping Goose

Here is my 1st grade crocea. I have had him about 1.5 years, and has grown about 1/2 inch since I first bought it. Its home is an 9 gallon ADA rimless cube with 54W of PC lighting. Who says it cant be done :)

I know people say MH orT5 at the least but that is for depth of light right? What about 130w PC on a 10G? It's only 12" deep so that is why I wonder...

I have 3 croceas and 1 maxima in my 34g Solana. I have 250w MH lighting and work from home so I have plenty of time to keep my tank is pristine condition. I dose Randy's two part solution twice daily and the clams are thriving. They all have new growth and the colors are great. I understand why they discourage clams in nano's due to the low water volume and often inadequate lighting. However, if you have the time and desire to maintain your tank (and have the correct lighting) then there is no reason why you can't keep one.

Archived