inTank Media Baskets

mskurdah

LOL.

This is just another case of nano discrimination. Clams are fine in Nanos as long as the parameters are in check and they have room to grow.

I kept two croceas together in a tank with a total volume of 20 gallons or slightly less for about two years and 3 months. They grew like weeds. I still have them but in a large frag tank now because I was to lazy to set it back up.

Re: Fish stocking and coral feeding for 30G cube 8/23/08

Hi Bob:

<Matt>

Thank you so much for the answers!! I really wish I could get a bigger aquarium, but our condo is not big enough (and I'll be out on the street if I street if I tell my significant other I want a bigger tank, not everyone shares the reef love).

<Mmm, perhaps that significant others couch, other living space could be better utilized... Heeeee!>

I took four of the fish back to my LFS today, as well as the emerald crabs and most of the hermit crabs.

<Ah, good>

I still have the Pygmy Angel, the Clown, and the Firefish.

<Which species is this last?>

I've also decided to make this all Ricordea with a clam (or two) and the chalice coral for variety. The Zoas are going back to the LFS.

<Ahh, very good>

I'm sorry to be a pest, but I have two more questions. I'm not sure I understand about the clams: is a crocea + a maxima too much clam for a 30G?

<Yes... read here: http://wetwebmedia.com/HighInvertInd.htm

scroll down to Bivalves: Tridacnid articles, FAQs files... Too much metabolism here for too little volume to stay sufficiently stable...>

Also, can I really not keep my Firefish (I think you said it needs bigger space). I've read so many times that they are OK in smaller aquariums.

<... Matt, please... read what is posted before writing... This is covered as well: http://wetwebmedia.com/dartfish.htm

and the linked files above...>

I'll take him back if I have to, but I want to be sure before I do it. I LOVE this fish -- he eats regularly, is out all the time, and is so colorful. The clown and pygmy completely ignore him.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

<The more popular Microdesmid species are social... all require about two square feet of bottom... BobF>

I had a little difficulty finding it

Maybe he just doesn't know much about nano tanks?

I think EZ company had like 5 clams in his 34g

I dosed two part daily and did weekly water changes, that's it. I never measured anything. I just put in so much two part everyday and my clams and sps grew pretty well so I didn't care to test. No clams in a nano is hog wash as long as you know what you are doing. I did about 3 months of research on clams before I even looked at them in real life.

I have a 4" crocea in my 26 for over a year,so do alot of other people. Bob Fenner does give good advise, but I disagree with this one and about the firefish.

I had a little difficulty finding it

Maybe he just doesn't know much about nano tanks?

I think EZ company had like 5 clams in his 34g

Yeah, EZ has some sweet clams: http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=10

Some experts just don't have enough knowledge of nano tanks.

I've found the tank recommendations given by Scott W. Michael to be less discriminatory.

While I haven't had my clam for 2 years, I have had him for over 1 year! I got my ORA Maxima clam from my LFS. They do require special care, pristine water, strong lighting. I also dose calcium, alkaline and magnesium every day. Between the SPS corals and the clam, the calcium does get sucked up. But it's worth the effort and he's shown good growth! However, all this being said, I am concerned about what to do with it when it gets too big. I'm considering trading with my lfs for a crocea. Here are some pics:

A tank is a tank......5 gallons or 500 gallons. All that matters is that you have good lighting and good water.

The only reason why big tank guys say you can keep this, or you cant keep that is because it is so easy to keep a big system that they dont have the dedication or skills to keep a smaller one, not speaking of the man in question here, but I have met a lot of so called experiuenced big reef keepers that didnt think half of the stuff I do in my tank was possible.....then I show them the pics and laugh.

Dont be fooled, just as many clams, fish and corals are killed in large tanks as in small tanks.

The only persons reccomendations I follow is my own.

I'd say this isn't true for the most part, and that calms CAN be kept in smaller tanks. Many of us have or have had some (I've had as many as 4 clams in my 30g tank at one time before). But it's all relative to if your husbandry allows for you to successfully keep them, and if you have the right equipment to keep them in terms of lighting and filtration. The ONLY time i can see tank size coming into play is if you have a larger clam like a large derasa, or worse yet a giga.

Knowing nothing about how long your tank has been up, what lighting you have, or how quickly you added livestock I am going to assume that you added things the right way, your tank is over 6+ months old, and you have good lighting and tank parameters. So...

1. It wasn't Fenner replying to you in that post it was Matt (?)

2. It can be done but you have to be on the ball in terms of water conditions and its going to depend on the individual clam. They can tolerate a moderate amount of Nitrate in the water and actually do well as a small Nitrate consumption factory but everything needs to be pretty stable overall to keep them happy and healthy. They also will consume Ca as they grow their shell. Stay on top of that, provide good light, and room to grow out (both will get up to about 6") and you should be ok.

3. Based on your post I counted 7 total fish in your tank plus two clams. Thats allot of fish in that size tank. And that is going to be one heck of a bioload to keep up with. 3-5 is a better number. With 5 being smaller sized fish.

4. You can keep a filefish in a Nano. Its one of the recommended fish for said size tank however you will face an issue of territorialism down the road with that pigmy so the filefish may not thrive. They also need good water conditions and are less forgiving a fish than the angel and the clown so that may be why he was uptight about it.

All in all it may be that you got a guy who didn't have allot of experience in the nano size tank space.

• 3 weeks later...

Fenner has vast marine fishkeeping knowledge and has helped our hobby (addiction) immensely.

However I have come to believe that he is of the anti-nano camp and views nano's as something only the most experienced reefers can keep and maintain with reasonable sucess.

But I figure, if you have room for the maximum size of the clams and can meet ALL their needs, you should be fine.

Personally, since they are hogs, I wouldnt put more than one in a nano. If you have a sump, then thats a different story.

I have four clams now in a 25 gallon hex, with a 15 gallon sump:

2 2"inch crocea for over a year, growing well!

1 4" teardrop maxima for over 6 months, also growing

1 4" crocea, just added a week ago.

They've all done great, my two 2" crocea's even survived a move and seem to thrive.

I've heard sprung and other "experts" say that as long as you meet requirements (ie lighting, flow, food, levels) clams are great natural filters in any system.

I personally am for clams, if you know how to keep them.

• 2 weeks later...
I dosed two part daily and did weekly water changes, that's it. I never measured anything. I just put in so much two part everyday and my clams and sps grew pretty well so I didn't care to test. No clams in a nano is hog wash as long as you know what you are doing. I did about 3 months of research on clams before I even looked at them in real life.

hi all, sorry for the stupid question: what is "two part" and what does it do for a clam?

Two part is an additive/supplement to buffer calcium and alkalinity. It is to help maintain calcium levels since clams deplete it.

hi all, sorry for the stupid question: what is "two part" and what does it do for a clam?
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a friend who has a 30 gallon tank that kept a clam garden of 2 maxima's and 5 crocea's, with a lot of sps, and lps. Granted he had a 20 gallon sump, a monster skimmer, and a calcium reactor. Let me tell you it was an awe inspiring tank. I am going to look for some of his tank pics....

i have 2 clams in my 10gal. they are squamosa and only 1 inche big. than again they are going to be moved into my 60gal once its ready. also have a birds nest, millie and monti sps in the same 10gal. i dose calcium every second night though

Archived