inTank Media Baskets

Gulf's little 5g shroom box!

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Tommorrow I will post the pics. It's almost night night time for me and lodaing pics is not what I have in mind of spending my last two brews on. So far I got about maybe thirty little shroomise growing out of what I think was five or six.

gulfsurfer101

Ok I wasn't able to stop by the LFS since I didn't get home till around 8pm so I will have to wait to get the vid of me shredding shrooms till later. I guess a few pics of the tank will have to do till then.

First and second batch of shrooms I blended

shrooms008.jpg

FTS

shrooms016.jpg

close ups

shrooms013.jpg

Looks like this huge ric is starting to split since I notice it has grown another mouth on it.

shrooms021.jpg

Randon frag just growing about the substrate.

shrooms003.jpg

I know there was a lot of skeptics but it worked for me. Put it down as a success and an end of this tank. I will most likely be transferring everything in my AP24 and tearing this tank down over the weekend.

gulfsurfer101

This is the south you know. JK. I just snapped the pics right after I got the lights on. I don't run a timer on this box since it's pretty low priority. Everything will look sweet in my AP under 150w of Mh though.

That's kind of ingenius actually, get a bunch of people to send you beautiful shrooms, let em grow out in your tank. NOT post photo's of the process (because it wasn't actually done) and end up with a bazillion for you to trade or sell back to your LFS for other stuff.

PROPS...

Our LFS sucks, they won't buy them back.

I don't know what your thinking but nobody has sent me a single shroom yet. Maybe you should just chill out since the only shrooms in here are the ones I've been getting on my own. I've been really busy with a new project my company has started from under the ground up so I haven't had time to update in a while. Tommorrow is payday and I plan on getting lots more and I promise a vid of them being done for peolpe that are willing to try it. Maybe you should try asking WTF is going on before posting BS like this since you have no clue as to what is going on on my time. Maybe I'll post pics of my shrooms growing everywhere tonight or maybe I won't, what does it matter to you since "you didn't put in on this man". Peace out, Gulf.

bravo!!

gulfsurfer101

I got those rics from the one there on Saratoga. I got them while they were still floating them so he gave me 25% off so I decided to get the lot of them. Just wanted to prove it can be done with patience and persistence. Funny story about this tank is my preggies wife actually puked in this tank about middway and I had to do immeadite transfers, cleaning, SW mixing and killed my sand with FW about 3 in the morning and everything came out of it OK. I didn't want to post that here but I guess the truth comes out at the end. I still have snails that made it through the FW rinsing of the sand. I could hear all the flames in my head about how it wouldn't work and blah blah blah but it survived and is now doing pretty damn good.

I guess I'll have to go back there. Last time I was there they seemed pretty disorganized, but maybe I'll swing by this weekend to see if they have anything good.

gulfsurfer101
Our LFS sucks, they won't buy them back.

Def not shrooms. I took in a chunk of superman montipora and the guy was like I'll give you ten bucks credit for it. I was outta there before I he could even get another word in.

I guess I'll have to go back there. Last time I was there they seemed pretty disorganized, but maybe I'll swing by this weekend to see if they have anything good.

I plan on stopping by there too sometime this weekend also. Maybe I'll see you there. I kinda want to get a vid of me blending some shrooms to finish off this thread with style.

gulfsurfer101

Just kinda crazy I haven't had nobody flame me on this thread since I posted pics yet, it just doesn't feel right. I figure I'll add a little initiuative. I will now post a pic of a small rbta I've been hiding from you guys as well. I am currnetly qt'ing it till I get it in my thrirty gallon fowlr after this weekend. I hear these things are pretty rare so I picked it up for a very nice price. Anybody interested in doing some trading for it.

shrooms014.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I just moved that RBTA into my AP24 this morning. I also plan on moving my AP24 over to my new place since it's currently at my GF's place and I never get to enjoy it anymore since were both staying here now. I will most likely be tearing this tank down and placing everything in my AP. This is the end to such a succesfull and what turned out to be a beautiful tank. It was pretty hideous at first, nothing a can of krylon fusion couldn't take care of though. I guess If you want to see a vid of the shrooms being blended up I will add it there. I finally get a whole weekend with no actuall plans but to mess with my tanks.

gulfsurfer101

Everything will be going in there since I have only a few zoas some frags and two large chunks on montipora. Other than that after going BB it's looking kinda bare. Besides Paying two seperate light bills is a PITA so I will just swap my bulbs in my house for those energy effecient ones and turn off all AC units over at her place since I won't need them to cool down my tanks anymore and I should make out like a villian. I would have kept this project going if I had some participants but since not I think I accomplished what I wanted to and get some nice looking rocks for my AP24 out of it.

gulfsurfer101

Sweet deal then man. I might have next Sat. off as well since I got it this week. I usually don't know till quitting time Fri. though. I'm looking foward to it Glenn and I'll bring all the styro's and fish baggies I got laying around if you need them.

gulfsurfer101

It happens from time to time. She's over it now but it wiped out my yellow goby thing I had thrown in there along with some shroom frags that must have got tossed when I did the emergency surgery to keep this thing floating. It pulled through Ok though.

gulfsurfer101

This tank is no more. It was lucky to suvive this long and while I was out for lunch yesterday my nieces decided that this tank would like wome Tums dropped in there. I was lucky enough to catch it in time and got everything dropped in my AP24. So this is the end of Gulf's little shroombox. I'll still chalk it up as a succes even through all the hardships that fell on this tank. I guess it's really impossible to kill mushrooms even if you put them through a blender, puke on them, or overdose your tank with tums.

AcroporaLokani
This tank is no more. It was lucky to suvive this long and while I was out for lunch yesterday my nieces decided that this tank would like wome Tums dropped in there. I was lucky enough to catch it in time and got everything dropped in my AP24. So this is the end of Gulf's little shroombox. I'll still chalk it up as a succes even through all the hardships that fell on this tank. I guess it's really impossible to kill mushrooms even if you put them through a blender, puke on them, or overdose your tank with tums.

your results look very good, I may have to try it :)

And don't worry about that "jersychick" girl, She tried to order corals from me about a month ago and she insisted that I would have to pay for shipping and box and she would pay for only four of the five frags she wanted. She also insisted that I ship the corals on Sunday (my post office isn't even open on Sundays) and that I ship the SPS/LPS frags to her on 3 day shipping with a full money back guarantee. She also said she wanted me to price match her LFS that just happened to have a 75% off sale and that she would not pay until she got the corals. All in all she is just a difficult person. (and no I did not sell her any corals :lol: )

I personally think your shroom blender idea is cool, and was a success after all you found a new way to prop mushrooms. About how many did you end up getting from your project? And bravo to you Mr. Gulfserfer.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking back at your post that I never saw. This tank was almost nuked twice after my sisters kids dropped a bottle of tums in there also. These things were the hardest thigs to kill unlike the small fish that I had in it. I would have had lots more if I was able to locate them all on the substrate when doing emergency water changes btut I ended up blending about 7 different types of shrooms and some didn't pull through at all while others popped out like crazy inluding the purple passions that I was kinda weary about doing but since it looked it was working on my others I did it anyways and it payed off nicely. All in all I blended about 15 shrooms and got about twice that amount to that survived the nukings. It would have been much higher if I did this project without incedent.

Archived