Cultivated Reef

Gulf's little 5g shroom box!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

To all in doubt my shrooms have already rounded out and are looking good. I just picked a small less than 1/4 shroom of the substrate and it is already sticking to it. I get paid tommorrow and see if I can work out something with the LFS or possibly take in some of my sweet SPS to sacrfice to this cause. If anybody is willing to donate to this project my zip is 78413 and the original deal stands. Ship them here and when all shrooms are fully grown out you'll get them back along with shrooms that every body else put in to the project. Shrooms are still too small for my crappy camera to take a quality pic but they have definately survived the blender. Now it's just a matter of time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lilredneckman

Glad they made it! Cant wait till they get bigger and you are able to take some pics! I have some red shrooms that i would send you but they would be really hard to get off the rock they are on and it looks like you already have some anyways.

gulfsurfer101

I just added some rics to the rockwork and looks like I got a hitchiiking something under one of them. I have no clue what it is. It's slimy feeling and grey and looks like it has a mouth in the middle. I won't be shredding these rics in no blender though. Looks like I got one with three mouths and the other has about to or three so I will just wait it out with these guys. I'm thinking these are going in my AP24 this weekend and I will frag from it later on after they split some more.

gulfsurfer101

Here's a pic of the thing I was talking about. I have no idea what it is but it feels slimy to the touch and looks to have a mouth right in the middle of it.

rics013-1.jpg

I was thinking prorites but am actually a little clueless on this one. Here are some other pics of the rics.

rics021-1.jpg

rics009.jpg

rics019-1.jpg

rics012.jpg

rics020-1.jpg

I been watching this thread since the beginning and have been skeptical but never really thought that it would not work, its awesome that it worked i'd send some shrooms but i am a newbe and don't have any now, good luck on the shrooms!

gulfsurfer101

I plan on going back to the same LFS I got these rics and buying them out of their unnattached shrooms for this project. I will try to gat a vid posted on here when I shred them so people can see how I do it and what to expect from blending them.

gulfsurfer101

I might opt for the bade but i'll give it a few days under my sunpod in my 24 to see it it will gain a little color to it. It's only going to be in my hex till tommorrow. BTW I got a boring clown goby for this tank and I never see him si I'm thinking of relocatin him in my ap24 also and getting a cooler fish, any suggestions.

gulfsurfer101
Maybe a shrimp and goby team?

Just stopped by the same LFS I was at yesterday and didn't see any fish that caught my eye today.

I would fisrt have to evict that clown goby before adding another waste producing fish or shrimp in there. I was thinking of a seahorse since my GF likes them but are a PITB to feed live mysis and brine all the time I will make any excuse not to get one. I picked up a two headed orange ric for 15bucks and got a 25% new shipment discoutn't since It didn't even have the chance to leave the bag it was floating in along with a few single polyp mushrooms for this expirement. Should I cut inbetween the two rics with a razor or should I just attach them both to a rock with mesh and just let them be.

gulfsurfer101

Chrissy I sent you a PM. I decided to slice these shrooms in the traditional way and go with the pizza method for comparrison to see the yeild VS blender since after all this still is only a project. My question is since I would just usually drop them in a small 3" wide by 3" tall peice of PVC with the top covered in mesh and set on the sandbed to keep them in place till they heal over would I just be able to put the slices on the rock I want them on and place the mesh over them or will it effect the way they heal.

gulfsurfer101

Alright here are some pics of the the hex with a black background since I got tired of looking at the ugly glue on the sides. I think it looks better this way and was thinking of putting a very small neon pseudochromis in here as far as fish goes and when he get's too big I will put him in my 24g AP.

5g009-1.jpg

5g007-1.jpg

Right side

5g015-1.jpg

FTS

5g011-1.jpg

Left side

5g017-1.jpg

And some occupants

5g005-1.jpg

5g003-1.jpg

5g008-2.jpg

5g014-1.jpg

And shrooms from my first attempt to put through the blender have already fully healed and some have attached themselves to various rocks.

5g013-1-1.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I got the orange one with two mouths so I split it and have two now. I will get pics of the shrooms I blended as soon as I'm able to get my camera to pick them up.

That's kind of ingenius actually, get a bunch of people to send you beautiful shrooms, let em grow out in your tank. NOT post photo's of the process (because it wasn't actually done) and end up with a bazillion for you to trade or sell back to your LFS for other stuff.

PROPS...

gulfsurfer101
That's kind of ingenius actually, get a bunch of people to send you beautiful shrooms, let em grow out in your tank. NOT post photo's of the process (because it wasn't actually done) and end up with a bazillion for you to trade or sell back to your LFS for other stuff.

PROPS...

I don't know what your thinking but nobody has sent me a single shroom yet. Maybe you should just chill out since the only shrooms in here are the ones I've been getting on my own. I've been really busy with a new project my company has started from under the ground up so I haven't had time to update in a while. Tommorrow is payday and I plan on getting lots more and I promise a vid of them being done for peolpe that are willing to try it. Maybe you should try asking WTF is going on before posting BS like this since you have no clue as to what is going on on my time. Maybe I'll post pics of my shrooms growing everywhere tonight or maybe I won't, what does it matter to you since "you didn't put in on this man". Peace out, Gulf.

gulfsurfer101

I knew you'd be the first to come at me man. I was able to get a long sip of my budweiser down before I noticed your hit. I'm gonna post the pics tommorrow just for you skeptics out there. This tank is #####ing right now.

BTW Johny cage was ghey! It was all about streetfighter #####! Yeah wasshappennin partnah!

Ahhhh.... Im actually excited to see how this goes... In a few months Ill be able to donate/start a project of my own, I wont blend tho, but I might see how small I can razor a frag under a scope.

Archived