Top Shelf Aquatics

Gulf's little 5g shroom box!

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Looks like after some feedback from the people that tried this all results were a miss. I shure can learn through other peoples mistakes and won't be shredding any shrooms any time soon in a blender. I shure would like to know if it would work but since so may people have failed looks like the best way to go is pizza slicing. To all those I may have pissed of in the above statements I'm sorry if you were offended but it's still worth it to do some resarch before diving in head first. I may still try this if I feel confident that I can do it. I have the tank setting right now and will get it running as soon as posible to get it cycling. Pics will be added as promised, just don't want to make another file for the three pics I have right now of some lame overflow box that I attached to the 5g hex. It will be a cool little build none the less.

gulfsurfer101

USPS 2 days seems to be the cheapest. Probably around 12-15 bucks. I have all the things for it lined up. toms deco light, 24w 50/50 light and ballast, custom overflow, LS, LR, established water and small return pump for overflow. This thing should be up and running very soon and pics of all work being done so that others can see what I did to a cheap-0 1 dollar garage sale tank. The best part so far is the small overflow box I installed. Basically it's a small acrylic storage bin from an unused tool box welded on to the hex with a DIY baffling system. I don't know if I'll add the toms deco as a fuge or just return the water from the overflow box itself.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like I got moved into member tanks which is fine. I'm just letting the glue cure and will have it operational after work tommorrow. To all who have sent PM;s willing to help out thanks, I'm pretty shure more people will be into this once they see it fully opeational and running succesfull. Nate_j send you a pm and got yours back so looks like were cool now, sorry for the exchange of words just glad we can get over it like a couple of grown boys that just had a little suqable. It's gonna be ugly but I don't want to paint it since I want as much natural sunlight to enter as possible. Nothing to interesting yet but check back in tommorrow and see what's new.

gulfsurfer101

will do. BTW got this tank going today but left my camera in at my other place so I will try to get quick photo's from my cell phone. I only got about 2# of rock in there but plan on taking it out and dropping a bohemith 15#'er pyramid shaped rock so I can just bust it up when It becomes over grown with shroomies.

gulfsurfer101

Here's a couple of pics I took with a camera phone till I'm able find my camera.

Just basically showing the overflow box I attached to the 5g hex, nothing specail and still is very ugly looking.

nanotank2.jpg

And just a random top shot of the overflow teeth with toms deco lith over it along with koralia nano kicking up the surface water over the intake over flow.

nanotank1.jpg

It's a beast of a build but it works pretty good and that's over 3 watts of light per gallon over the hex which should be fine for shrooms. I might paint the overflow box balck in the near future when I have time if I get tired of looking at it's ugliness. Right now it's only got about 2 pounds of lr with no sand. Just want to give it a test run to check for leaks and see how it will preform. I plan on dropping a monster 15 pound chunk of LR in there which will cover most of the floor area giving the shrooms less of a place to hide under and pretty much limiting the space where they can attach themselves to to the surface of the rock only.

gulfsurfer101

That's a new one to me. Ive read on other sites whre it's been totoally succesfull with just chopping them up lightly. I've seen it done before first hand yesterday at my LFS. The guy has a rock for aound a hundred buck that has about fifty shrooms on it that range in color from red to yellow to blue and green. When I asked him how he got that many shrooms on one rock he told me it was a secret and when I employed the blender idea he was floored. He thought nobody else had heard of it. He didn't realize he was talking to sombody who will take a tile cutter to a 200 dollar acro or monti with no remorse.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like it's time to update this thread with a few pics.

First one will be the substrate area for max shroom growth

5g021.jpg

Next is a top down view of the tank and overflow box

5g018.jpg

5g004.jpg

w/o flash on

5g019.jpg

Side shot

5g020.jpg

A side shot of overflow and ugly glue for the baffing system, koralia nano box in there for size comparison.

5g006.jpg

My favorite little touch, small bulkheads borrowed from busted up fishing coolers.

5g024.jpg

Little mushroom frags are growing everywhere, you can see them healing up nicely and rounding out in pic 2

5g015.jpg

5g009.jpg

Some paly's I threw in there to break up the boring rock look

5g008.jpg

5g012.jpg

And last one is a sand sifting snail or conch of some sort, came in as a hitchiker in my sand but I plan on returning him to my 30g or AP 24 soon.

5g002.jpg

5g007.jpg

5g005.jpg

marinekeeper

Blend them. We know the pizza method works, thats the typical way to frag shrooms.

Just don't over blend and this experiment will have more than a 50/50 chance.

gulfsurfer101

I picked up the hex for a dollar in a yard sale, overflow box is from busted toolbox that sat half empty, light over it is a toms deco that I had laying around, return pump is from a AP 12 I took down about a month and a half ago. All rock and sand is from an existing tank and I will be doing a 1g WC every sunday. I just need more shrooms to shred. I will be on the hunt for some and pics will be added as new additions make thier way into the tank.

Blend them. We know the pizza method works, thats the typical way to frag shrooms.

Just don't over blend and this experiment will have more than a 50/50 chance.

It's working for me so far. I just don't tend to cut them into slime but a good 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch and cut off the koralia till they setttle and just turn the reuurn pump all the way down. I've seen about 14 or 15 small frags in there today.

gulfsurfer101

I just threw about five shrooms in a small majic bullet and let it pulse three times for about a second a time. I'm shure people will say you will get more the slice and dice way but I'm positve theres a bunch more in the rockwork that got thrown around with my koralia. I would like to get a batch of many differnt colored shrooms to try out sometime this weekend. I just hope I get the same results.

asthegloryfades

kraylen why even reply to a thread if all you have is irrelevant comments like the one above? The guy is trying something that was not successful in another thread doesnt mean its not possible to have it work. Even in the other thread the person said it seemed like it was working than went out of town and it crashed.

I honestly hope this does work, havent done much in salt up to this point but love trying new things to better the hobby

kraylen why even reply to a thread if all you have is irrelevant comments like the one above? The guy is trying something that was not successful in another thread doesnt mean its not possible to have it work. Even in the other thread the person said it seemed like it was working than went out of town and it crashed.

Settle down there gummi bear..... I am entitled to say whatever the hell I want... as are you. With all the "irrelevant" comments have you bothered to pat my back for the helpful ones? Until you do that quit being a lemming.

, havent done much in salt up to this point but love trying new things to better the hobby

Yes, sticking animals in a blender in hopes of them multiplying is bettering the hobby as opposed to the mass prop methods that have already been established for disk nems such as these. hahaha

asthegloryfades

how is chopping an animal with an automated blade a whole lot different than a razor blade? the first person who tried the razor blade or exacto knife method was probably looked upon the same way as this method currently is

how is chopping an animal with an automated blade a whole lot different than a razor blade? the first person who tried the razor blade or exacto knife method was probably looked upon the same way as this method currently is

A razor blade is more precise and won't sludge your corals up like a blender will. With the right tank the propagation outcome is 100%

If it ain't broke dun fix it!

GrandpaFeathers

I win.

Go surfer!

if I had shrooms, i'd donate.

all I have are my zoas i still haven't sent you. oops..

you're getting a lot of negative reedback here, but i'm thinking it'll work.

Archived