Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquaclear 300 or 500?

j0dy77

For the plexi divider piece. Grab an old cd case take off the clear cover use a ruler as a staight edge and score it with a steak knife. Snap of the dicarded piece using the edge of your kitchen counter for support. Get it cut to size then use a file or sand paper if small adjustments are needed. No need to buy acrylic for that small of a barrier. Cd case will work great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread!!! I was wondering if a skilter400 would work the same way? I have one that I bought before I knew who much they suck. It looks like the same principles would apply. Its deminsions are 9x14x4. I would just remove the skimmer part since it hardly worked any way. Would it be big enough for a 29g as a refug?

Thanks

I think if your filter just completely stopped working, all the water would stay in it becuz there would be no flow to push it back out of the filter. So then i wouldnt think it would cause a fire because the filter should still remain full...?

I'm a newbie to SW & reef keeping. I have a 29gal tank and have been wanting to put a fuge under it but am limited in space. I discovered this thread and have become very enthusiastic about setting up my 29gal and a 10gal for my wife's classroom. Will an AC500 be enough of a fuge for a 29gal and will an AC150 be enough for a 10gal.

thx,

P.S. Waiting on Frances to roll through before I start anything.

hey Flatulentman, get the AC500. I have a 30 gallon and it's perfect. Because of the flow i was able to get rid a powerhead. Plus its a nice size for a fuge. Have about 8oz. of macro and some LR rubble. Works awesome so far. My tank is crystal clear.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kinda new to this diy refugium area. I have a simple question: anyone who's upgraded a ac 500 to refugium have any problems with the heater inside the unit. Does the 50 watt heater really keep the entire tank temperature stable from inside the refugium?

First off, this is a great thread.

In a week or two I am going to attempt this for my 20 gal. with the aquaclear 300. I have a couple questions for anyone who can answer them.

1) when I add my LR and LS into the fuge area, I dont want it to spike all my perameters. What process do I need to do to avoid messing up my already established tank? Or will it be ok to just add it since it is a small amout of LR&LS?

2) what are some great fish/other inhabitants that eat pods, the more options the better so name as many as you can!

omens-nano07

How whould u get the pods out of the fuge in the first place? Are pods like brine shrimp or what do they look like? Thank you

P.S. this is the best thread ever!!!!

Pods are pretty small but visible to the human eye. I see them all over my tank glass and I heard they are very beneficial. Im also starting a ac 300 fuge for my 20gal soon and hope to have most of my pod population in there instead of in the tank where "Nemo" likes to reduce the population.

As for getting the pods out of the fuge. I havent heard of any methods. I think a few flow out of the fuge occasionally enough for a random snack for your livestock. The whole point is, the fuge is a safer place away from predatory fish and better environment of pods and other critters to reproduce and also a nutrient export.

As for a needing a heater in the ac fuge, I really dont know why people would need it in the fuge as for it looks so risky to have it there. Im very paranoid about stuff like that so I think Id just put it in the main display. I think people just do it in order to have less equipment showing in the main tank and more beautiful live stock to look at. As far as tempurature in the fuge to keep things alive, placement for the heater would be just the same because the fuge is constantly getting flow from the main tank so the temps between the tank and fuge shouldnt be too off. JMO.

I've been using the heater (horizontally) below the lip of the AC500 outflow (at the back rim of the tank just under the waterline)... works fine and more or less out of sight...

Blind Tree Frog

Here is the really stupid question, where do i get an AC500 or 300? Hagen's site doesn't list anything bigger then the 110, so what am I missing here?

And would a Whisper Junior be enough space for a decent fuge for a 10 gallon? It is smaller, but I'm not sure it's too small.

Yeah Blind, Hagen changed the names of the filters a while back. AC 300 is now the 70 and the AC500 is the 110. The bigger the better on the fuge Blind. If you do get the 500 for you 10 you might think the flow is too much. Reduce the flow by installing the baffle ect.... I just finished my AC500 fuge mod yesterday and will have pics soon as i get a camera. Still trying to figure out if Im missing anything in the fuge. Not using a heater right now, just a sponge in the area and LS, LR and Chaeto on the refugium side. Using a palm clamp on 7w pc light which has a nice color on it. Not sure if its good enough for the Chaeto but we'll see. On my 20, the flow is perfect. Im not using the AC surface skimmer attachment yet and plan on it. When I do use it my flow is going to be even slower.

Do I need a wall in the ac 500 if I have a 30g(I dont think it will be to much flow for the tank).But will it be to much flow for the micro alge or pods or the sand.

Archived