ReefCleaners.org

Aquaclear 300 or 500?

j0dy77

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think some one needs to send out a search party for Steve961 i think he may of fell in to his own tank and eatin by a evil hermit crab.

wondering how his setup is doing...

Hey all I have an AQ500 on the way and am planning on doing Steve961' mod. One question I have it how far from the fuge intake is good for the acrylic baffel (ie. what is the actual dimensions of the fuge?) Does it matter or does the flow rate into the fuge change as you move the placement of the acrylic.

Any opinions are welcomed.

cheers

deacon

I was thinking of doing this before finding this thread. I never knew there was a surface skimmer attatchment, but now I'll have an AC500 plus surface skimmer attatchment on the way for my 20L :D

• 1 month later...

With a refugium using the Aqua clear 500 what does everybody do as far as mechanical filtration? Do you use a sponge inside the refugium?

May sound like a stupid question, but where is everyone getting the piece of acrylic on the ac 300 mod from? I can't find a good piece of material to use.

I just cut apart the media crate that came with it. I used the side piece and just had to shave the sides a bit to make it fit. I cut one of the solid pieces from the bottom and siliconed it over the hole.

May be ghetto but no purchase necessary and works great!

My AC300 refug had been up for a few month, I had put some macro algae in it, but not last long. Last time, I put some macro (not sure if this is for feeding), and they are gone in 2 weeks, seemed like eaten by the pods inside the refug. So I transfer some macro algae from my main tank, hope it will grow in the refug, for 2 weeks now, they are still there and still showing their green color, think they are surviving. Anyone, has success to tranfer macro from main tank to AC300 (or AC500) and growing?

• 2 weeks later...

Juanton80 if you still need the acrilic for the fuge, i just went to wall mart and bought a super cheap picture frame and used the acrylic from that and used a blade and score and snapped it. worked perfect....

BUT I AM STILL LOOKING FOR MACRO (CHEATO ACTUALLY) AND STUFF FOR MY FUGE, DOES ANYONE FEEL LIKE GIVING ME SOME AT A LOW PRICE PLEAAAAAAASE

Originally posted by xdannyx_

BUT I AM STILL LOOKING FOR MACRO (CHEATO ACTUALLY) AND STUFF FOR MY FUGE, DOES ANYONE FEEL LIKE GIVING ME SOME AT A LOW PRICE PLEAAAAAAASE

Do a search. I seen someone selling cheato.

Mainframe562

Here's my AC300 on a JBJ Nano Cube. Right now its filtering my tank and once I get my chaetomorpha which is next week, it will be converted to a refugium.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 questions on the lighting for the fuge (sorry if this has been answered already elsewhere): Does the light need to run on the fuge 24/7? Is lighting the fuge a must?

• 2 weeks later...
AnotherLousy1

I also have a question in regards to, what if the Aquaclear 300 or 500 quits, would your heater still be safe? I'm working on trying to set up a 10 gallon nano reef and when I saw this thread jumped up and down for joy and then the bad side of my brain started thinking, "Hmmm, with a submersible heater, what would happen if you lost water in the AC 300/500?"

Just a curiousity question.

Thanks

AnotherLousy1

AnotherLousy1

Actually, I was thinking more about burning up my house, rather than just replacing the heater ... heater gets too hot without being submersed in water, it overheats, yadda yadda yadda. (Same basis if it gets stuck on, etc) Anyway, just curious if anyone had thought about that.

Thanks

AnotherLousy1

Archived