Cultivated Reef

Aquaclear 300 or 500?

j0dy77

the aquaclear 500 holds just over 1 gallon of water. maybe like 1.2 gallon. i measured in a couple days ago.

just running mine with charcoal and foam filter right now. going to convert to a refuge soon.

-Dan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. I did the conversion and it looks like the water is skimming off the top of the other water wen it goes into the fuge part. Is it actually goin into the fuge or just straight into the tank?

squirrelmaster

This is more of a question for fuges in general, but is it pointless to have a fuge with just LR and LS? Or is the most beneficial aspect the macro algae?

I think it would still be beneficial with just LR and LS. Additional filtration and a safe breeding ground for little critters.

I have tons of tiny little shrimp, bugs, worms, pods and stars. All kinds if neat critters in there, I would think they would be a benefit. And an Occasional treat for the fish when they flow into the tank.

OK, question. What about 2 filters? Like setting up an Aquaclear Mini as the actual filter, and the Aquaclear 150 as the refugum? Or would that be to small of a refugum? And I'm talking about for a 10g?

What are the dimentions on the 300 and 500?

esp space needed between wall and tank...

but also interested if either would fit on the narrow side of a 10g.

Thanks

Thought I'd chime in here on this forum...

I've got a 7 gal minibow w/ an AC500 hanging on the back as a fuge. I did the plexi baffle mod to create a LS/LR area and a smaller compartment for a 50w Tronic and an occasional bag of carbon, etc... I installed the AC surface skimmer and removed the black disc on the impeller side of the intake tube. These two things reduce flow to the point that it flows less than my old AC mini IMO. Also, the 500 outlet lip sits lower in the water and doesn't produce the sandstorm you might think. In fact, I added a maxijet 404 to supplement the flow in the tank. On top of the 500 I velcro'd a Coralife 2x9w fixture over the fuge part. I let it run 24/7 and so far, no ill effects.

The 500 measures approximately 7" deep (which extends 5" behind the tank) x 13-3/4" W x 9" H. The 300 measures approximately 6" deep (which extends 4" behind the tank) x 8-1/2" W x 8". Hope this helps!

Great detailed list of modifications! This will definitely help anyone considering modifying the AC500. Thanks!

ok...after reading a great thread here I am ready to buy a aquaclear for my tank...now the problem is .....there's EXACTLY 4" between the back of the tank and the wall..and I can't move the tank at all....can I squeeze in a 500? or I have to go with a 300???

you guys are great.:)

Sea-horse > I had the exact same situation!

And I now have both a AC 300 & 500 on my tank! I didn't think I could use the 500 but the 500 was the same width as the 300, once it is hanging on the tank. The space btw my tank and wall is also 4". Its working good for me!

So I think you'd be fine with a 500.

Good Luck!

jbrat--> thank you!! I will try for a 500 then!! yeah!!!

if it doesn't work I am gonna ask you to buy the 500 from me!!!

maybe I should get one from petco to check..and return it just saying that it won't fit...:)

are you sure is 4" exact!!!!

Sea-horse:

I measured again from my wall to the top rim of my tank , it is exactly 3 9/10 inches ( the first mark before the 4 on the ruler, lol)

I ordered this 1 about 3 months ago from big al's online. I would think they should all be the same!

But you could take a measuring tape with you to Petco. and take it outta the box and measure it to feel more confident.

I have a friend with an ac500 on her big 160gFW tank I thought it looked way to big to fit on my tank. I'm sure is several years old!

Then I placed a order at www.bigal'sonline.com . I Ordered a AC300 for me and the AC500 for my other friend who has a 55gal FW tank. When I recieved the order I tried her 500 on my tank and it fit!! It is VERY snug though!! The filter is slides up against the wall tight. But it works! So I lucked out and my friend took the 300 and I paid her the difference for the 500.

Good Luck to you!

For me, the HOB is very close to the wall, and the cover is removed since it is used as a refugium also, but I use a large piece of plastic sheet cover the wall behind the tank, so the wall is well protected from salt water, then post a poster above it, so the wall would look better. :)

Thats a good idea >Siejuban

Mine shows no damage, other than the scuffs I put on it getting both AC to fit the way I wanted.

I had a piece of glass cut to lay across both filters to protect the light, it probably helps protect the wall too. It still gets plenty of air (I think) only the box part is covered so its open to air from the over flow to the tank.

I've had the AC500 going for about 3-4 months and the AC300 about a year.

How perfect is the fit between the cutout baffle and the bottom of the AC300 or 500? On my AC300, there is a bit of curvature that is a PITA to reproduce on a piece of plastic. How important is a perfect seal near the bottom? What would you guys use to fill in the gaps?

Thank you. This is a great thread.

Since my 5 gal nano is arcylic, worry the AC 300 will be too heavy for hanging on the back of the tank, I put something to support at the bottom, work as a stand, then for the back of the AC 300 and the wall I put a AC Mini foam between them to add additional support. So I don't have to worry the heavy AC 300 crack the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

done...ac500 behind the tank..thank you jbrat for backing me up...

i also got a surface skimmer..sweet stuff...

I have a baffle in the fuge...what do i put in there?? I am thinking about pebbles and rocks to reduce the tiny bubbles from the surface skimmer...how do you guys reduce the bubbles? and besides heater what else can you put there?

I am using AC300, beside the heater I have put bag of phos remover, carbon, foam. When summer come, I am planning to drill a hole on the cover for the IceProbe (cover is removed during winter), and cut part of the cover that is above the refugi area so the light can't be blocked. I got the surface skimmer, but too big for my 5 gal nano, and since I change the impeller to AC 150, that is not powerful enough to use that skimmer.

for all your ac300 or 500 users...do you have pictures of how you mount the light for the fuge? or can you tell me what kind of lights you use and how long you have it on?? thank you very much!

Sorry, no pics but - I have a reptile clamp light clamped on the back of my tank with a LOA daylight bulb that runs 24/7.

don't you guys have problems about lights for the fuge get into the main tank at night?? is it good for the tank at all?

where can I get a bookworm light? I mean I tried to find it but no luck at all....what other lights is good for the fuge as well? please help..thanks.

Archived