Coral Vue Hydros

Aquaclear 300 or 500?

j0dy77

http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c1...16360708.2.html

It appears that everything on the AC500 is unique to the AC500.

So, in order to use another impeller, it looks like i'd have to make one, or experement, experement, experement. I already have 2 AC150's at home doing nothing, that I could clean up and start playing with.

Q: since the motors are mag driven, shouldn't any impeller fit inside and spin?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pat-man-ta, since you have two at home, I would use one for water movement and another power head and not set up a ref at first. I dont know what you plan to add to your tank, but why not start out slow and add on if you experience problems.

ON ALL MODS WITH THE AC300/500 HOW WOULD YOU CLEAN THE FUG AFTER IF GETS (NASTY) DIRTY DO YOU JUST REMOVE LIVE SAND/ROCK AND MICRO AND THEN PUT BACK OR DO YOU JUST DONT CLEAN IT ????????

I am setting up a 20H right now.

I think I'll go with the AC 300 with the skimmer attachment.

When you convert it to a refuge do you lose the filtering ability of the filter, or is the refuge just separate from all that?

Does the refuge do a better job of filtering than the carbon filter thing?

Thanks,

-Dan

Whats the demesions of the AC500, particulary the lenght? I have a 30g cube with a AC300 on one side and a Remora on the other. I'd like to convert the AC to a fuge, but if I have enough room for the 500 I'll get that instead of using my 300.

Does the AC300 make a decent fuge as well?

Oops...

DanUMD - IMO, a refugium works much better than the carbon filter. It's a nutrient export and with the right macro, will keep your nitrates at 0. I do use a bag of carbon on my large tank also. It helps keep the softy warfare at bay, keeps the water crystal clear, and helps keep the "fishy" smell down.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my 2cents into this great thread. After reading all these ideas, I went and got an AC300 and converted it to a refugium for my 10 gallon. But instead of using a piece of acrylic, I broke apart the media basket and used the side piece as my wall. I had to cut it a bit to make it work and I used another piece of the basket to cover the hole. I then took the bottom part of the basket, trimmed it and attached it at the outflow so the macro won't go into the tank. Then I siliconed it in and it's working great! I already had the silicone so my only expense was the $21 for the AC300. Cheapest DIY I've done yet in this hobby! :D

I am lighting it with a LOA daylight bulb in a reptile clamp light. I like the light it is getting and I can see growth already. My only problem is I would like to try and get the tank darker at night. Quite a bit of light from the fuge goes into the tank. Has anyone else solved this problem? Or maybe another light alternative?

Just a thought...In another thread, someone recommended a solution to get around the issue with the high flow on the AC500. They recommended not using the impeller that the AC500 comes with and instead hook up a powerhead to push the water into the refugium. This way you can control exactly your water flow into your fuge and can also hook the ph up to the skimmer via tubing. What do you all think about that?

Question for those with AC500. How much volume of water will the AC500 add to the tank? Someone mentioned 1 gallon. Does it actually hold this much or is it an over-estimation? I am very interested in using an AC500 but I would also like the fuge to be at least a gallon. What do you all think?

I leave mine on 24/7. Less likely to go sexual that way. Some people light on the reverse cycle of their tank lights. Keeps PH from swinging that way. It's really a personal preference.

Leave it on all the time. I've never had a problem with anything other than it growing like crazy! I have to harvest a couple of times a month.

I do too. I've been trying to figure a way to fix that, even posted the question on here but haven't gotten any suggestions. I've got it turned now so it's just a glow on the tank at night. My husband says it's not any worse than moonlight. I'm still trying to get it darker. On my 72 gallon, the refugium is below and behind the tank, so I don't have that issue. But I still have a lot of chaeto to cut back! LOL

lol, lucky you! I don't think mine is growing very well at all, but maybe it's because I am turning the light off. I did think about the moonlight thing, but shouldn't it be absolute dark for a least a couple of hours?

I'm not sure. I've only had the nano up and running for a few weeks now. Just added my first fish this week. I think it gets dark enough, they don't seem stressed out. But I'm still trying to come up with something inventive to get it darker.

Archived