Pod Your Reef

EnjoiFish's 10 Gallon Reef

EnjoiFish

I use the same settings listed above to shoot either fish or corals.

Fish are particularly tricky for me to shoot. I'm slow. My camera is slow. I'm not good with motion shots. If you notice the clearest photos of my blenny are when he is peeking out of his shell. It sits right up front so it's so easy to get a shot of him there. I haven't posted any of him swimming because they often come out blurry or just the tail end. And he doesn't even really swim! He'll hover in front of me for a few seconds then vanish as soon I as push the button. I also have a problem shooting him when he is one of little holes of the live rock. He's so dark he blends in with the background and the rocks always look bleached out. I still have a lot to learn about macro photography as well.

Mimicking my settings may not work for you. I have to readjust everything for Ian to take photos of his, all because we have different lighting. Just play around with your camera until you find something you like about the photo you took and work from those settings. It's what I did. And keep your hands steady!

~ Steph

This is where the magic happens.

003.jpg

:P

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you m'akoy!

NanoCube Boy, that's just referring to my lens. It's irrelevant since the lens isn't interchangeable anyway.

I'm not really sure what evo is...like I said before, I still have a lot to learn myself. I consider myself a noob when it comes to photography. Exposure is just how much light I allow into the picture. Since I have 150w of light beating down on my tank, I tend to shoot on the darker side otherwise my photos look bleached out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mercedes!

I picked up some new stuff today. One nano Hydor Koralia pump. Two monti frags, one orangish red, the other is a yellow green. A blue ricordia rock and a clam!

Pictures tomorrow.

Saddest looking hermit ever.

068.jpg

Flow does wonder on the skirts.

074-1.jpg

Best swimming blenny picture I have ever been able to get and he had to be sperming/pooping/quite possibly experiencing diarrhea. That's just my luck.

043-1.jpg

New FTS:

040-1.jpg

The Great Wall of Rock

024.jpg

I rearranged the rock since my shrooms weren't enjoying the new lights. I took the mystery brown coral out since it started to bleach. It looks a lot better in Ian's tank since his lights aren't quite as intense. I'm still working on finding a place for my new candy coral. My LFS guy suggested keep it low until adjusts, but it keeps getting knocked around my hermits and snails. I'm letting it sit for now. I really need to just keep my hands out of the tank for a few days.

New plans for the tank:

Make a hang-on 'fuge. Still debating on what size filter to get. I don't want so much flow that it kicks my sand around.

Switch from 20k Ushio bulb to Phoenix 14k. The color is great, definitely more white than blue, but I'd much rather have tons of coral growth.

Finally return those damn Hydor Koralias (we accidently ordered the ones that go with the wavemaker, not the ones that plug in individually)

Sit back and watch everything grow out. I want to buy more coral but my tank was starting to look like a yard sale with all these random pieces sitting everywhere.

Some more pictures:

Random zoas

018-1.jpg

Piggyback Ride

091.jpg

Alien vs Predator

predator.jpg

Can you tell I love this little guy?

028.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Do the MH lights give that mushroom those green stripes. Mine came from a tank with MH's, and I have PC. He has a little green, but not as much. Sweet photos! You guys have nice tanks!

Do the MH lights give that mushroom those green stripes. Mine came from a tank with MH's, and I have PC. He has a little green, but not as much. Sweet photos! You guys have nice tanks!

Thanks! The sunpod has definitely brought out the greens and oranges a lot more, but honestly those mushrooms were a lot happier under my old PCs. Whenever I switched to MH, most of them shrunk up and jumped ship. I keep most of in the shade now.

Your rocks are so PURPLE :lol: Do you dose any supplement to achieve this?

Whenever I first set up the tank, I used regular Instant Ocean salt and dosed with Purple Up (I used some other supplements, but never on a regular basis). I had crazy growth then it kind of died off after a while.

My coralline growth has started up again and the back is almost entirely covered now. I use Reef Crystals now and only dose with Kent Marine's Nano Reef part A & B mix.

Rearranged the rocks a little. It's almost two seperate islands but I can't commit.

Orange monti cap got stung by the tree coral ( at least, I assume that's the problem ). I moved it away and it stopped losing color. I'll check my parameters later to make sure everything is where it should be.

Gave up my frogspawn for one of Ian's acan frags. I still want some LPS in my tank, perhaps a blue hammer.

Cleaner shrimp molted yesterday morning. It seems a little frequent to me though.

And now some pictures!

Hitchhiker zoas.

013-1.jpg

A feather in his cap.

011-2.jpg

Blenny!

081.jpg

Came home from work yesterday and found this little surprise in my tank:

011-3.jpg

012.jpg

He came as a pair but I haven't seen the pistol shrimp. Though every once in a while I hear him click, so at least he's still alive.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to keep these two fish together. I got home from class and found the Hi-Fin swimming (more like hovering) in the top left corner of my tank. I have no doubt the blenny is to blame for this since he tried turning the goby into lunch yesterday. Our LFS guy said he kept a pair like ours together and about after a week of aggression, they got over it and ignored each other. I don't think the little guy will last a week trial. :(

No not the fish, the pistol shrimp. Ian added it while I was at work. I still haven't seen it, just heard it.

Archived