Cultivated Reef

Merfin's Cadlights 39G Sig Tank

merfin70

Looks great Carl! Is that the new light they are sending now? Black and slimmer and lighter?

Yes I believe so! It's pretty light now, but the ballast is separate.

Edited by Spent198
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merfin70

• Spent198

• here fishy fishy

• Weetabix7

here fishy fishy

Thanks...I'd rather have the separate ballast and lighter fixture myself.

Yes I believe so! It's pretty light now, but the ballast is separate.

Merf,

If you do decide to throw Mud into your refugium, keep in mind it WILL disperse throughout your tank and cloud the water for a day or so. Ugh, now I wish I just had stuck with Live Sand in the Fuge. Either way, I hear it is good for the tank so hopefully it is worth it in the end. Waiting for the dust to settle...

-Carl

Indeed, the fuge is a lot more turbulent than you might otherwise think. Sorry about your mud storm. I'm sure it will settle down soon. Give you a chance to test out the turkey baster now to clean those rocks.

Indeed, the fuge is a lot more turbulent than you might otherwise think. Sorry about your mud storm. I'm sure it will settle down soon. Give you a chance to test out the turkey baster now to clean those rocks.

Haha, this is true! B)

So I tried a test fit of the skimmer and it appears as if it does not fit underneath the light. It is too tall and actually props the light up about an inch or so and this is WITHOUT the 2 inch PVC piping underneath the outlet. Hmm..

EDIT: I tried everything and it still doesn't fit. I bet the skimmer was never redesigned since the light fixture was changed on the new systems. This is a good excuse to go with the Tunze 9002 or AquaC Remora...

-Carl

Edited by Spent198

That sounds wrong but I know you said the light is different than mine and Eddie has made some changes to the back chambers. Can you post a pic? The light with my version only runs across the display tank and not across the back chamber. Now, I could push my light back to where it would touch the skimmer but I have it pulled forward. Post a pic, let's see what you have.

My light fixture actually covers most of the rear chambers as well. You can't tell in this picture, but the feet of the lighting fixture are pulled as far forward as possible. Even without the skimmer installed, you can see where the problem would arise...

http://gallery.me.com/cinserrajr#100019/photo1236040172854

http://gallery.me.com/cinserrajr#100019/photo1236040223642

EDIT: I really don't even need a Fuge light! But it's in there anyway. Haha

-Carl

Edited by Spent198

Where does the front foot land? On my version, both feet are on the display side of the tank vs. one foot on the back chamber. Can you take a wider shot so we can see the whole side of the tank for perspective?

Here is the best shot of my light that can access from work.

20090227_0684.jpg

here fishy fishy

Did the light come with a hanging kit?

My light fixture actually covers most of the rear chambers as well. You can't tell in this picture, but the feet of the lighting fixture are pulled as far forward as possible. Even without the skimmer installed, you can see where the problem would arise...

http://gallery.me.com/cinserrajr#100019/photo1236040172854

http://gallery.me.com/cinserrajr#100019/photo1236040223642

EDIT: I really don't even need a Fuge light! But it's in there anyway. Haha

-Carl

Where does the front foot land? On my version, both feet are on the display side of the tank vs. one foot on the back chamber. Can you take a wider shot so we can see the whole side of the tank for perspective?

Here is the best shot of my light that can access from work.

20090227_0684.jpg

The front feet are as far forward towards the front glass as possible, and the rear feet do overhang onto the rear chambers. I will take a wider shot tonight. The light DID come with the hanging kit, but in all honesty it really would not work where I have the tank setup. I never anticipated needing to hang the light fixture.

EDIT: Just by looking at your picture, the new light fixture itself is MUCH WIDER!

-Carl

Edited by Spent198

Best I can offer would be to tell you to eMail Eddie and see what exactly they were thinking. I see your point, if it stretches back past the chambers, how would you seat the skimmer. I'll also post a question on the other forum I visit to see if anyone there has the new Sig version.

here fishy fishy

Carl-

How much space are we talking about with the light and skimmer fit? Would slightly longer legs on the light work? Or are we talking inches? I'm gonna be having the same problem (although they said my light won't be in until close to the end of March). Aside from hanging the light, not sure what a solution will be.

Carl-

How much space are we talking about with the light and skimmer fit? Would slightly longer legs on the light work? Or are we talking inches? I'm gonna be having the same problem (although they said my light won't be in until close to the end of March). Aside from hanging the light, not sure what a solution will be.

It looks like you need about an extra inch of clearance. You will see what I mean when you put it all together. I put the Tunze 9002 in today and I am letting it break in. Ill let you know how that works out.

-Carl

Edited by Spent198
here fishy fishy

Merf-

Can you help me assemble my skimmer? I'm pretty clueless, I need someone to walk me through this.

TIA-

FIshy

Merf-

Can you help me assemble my skimmer? I'm pretty clueless, I need someone to walk me through this.

TIA-

FIshy

Good luck! Let me know how it fits. My Tunze 9002 is pulling out some really nasty gunk!

-Carl

here fishy fishy

Hi Carl-

Seems to fit okay, not sure of the depth 'cause I'm not skimming yet. Really had to cram in in there though. Sitting on top of the UV, so it sits a little higher so I'm hoping I won't have to raise it as I planned.

Does your light fit on better with the Tunze skimmer?

Good luck! Let me know how it fits. My Tunze 9002 is pulling out some really nasty gunk!

-Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kooolaid, yours is looking good as well though its been a while since you've posted some new pics. I've been having fun experimenting with my Vitamin C dosing and simplifying the tank a bit. Also picked up a number of very nice SPS but they don't photograph too well as they are up high close to the MH. I did take a suite of new pics for comparison purposes as I get longer into my dosing regiem.

20090227_0688.jpg

20090221_0568.jpg

20090221_0646.jpg

20090221_0579.jpg

20090221_0621.jpg

20090221_0631.jpg

20090221_0591.jpg

20090221_0637.jpg

20090221_0627.jpg

20090221_0577.jpg

here fishy fishy

Beautiful, Merf! Your tank is really something.

Are you the tattoo artist in your avatar, or are you getting inked there? or neither? Just being nosey.

Wow, your tank is looking amazing, I love it.

Have you been seeing any new changes from the Vitamin C dosing?

Are you still dosing amino's?

wow Merfin looking good. I am actually moving to california so I have to tank apart. Dont worry I will have it setup again hopefully by the years end. Will keep u updated!

Beautiful, Merf! Your tank is really something.

Are you the tattoo artist in your avatar, or are you getting inked there? or neither? Just being nosey.

Thanks. I'm the tattoo receiver. My love of coffee makes my hand shake too bad to ever do that as a profession. Plus, I'd feel bad inflicting pain on people, even though we pay for it.

Wow, your tank is looking amazing, I love it.

Have you been seeing any new changes from the Vitamin C dosing?

Are you still dosing amino's?

Hi Weetabix, I haven't checked your thread recently. Did you get your Vortec? How do you like it? I've been in a battle with mine all week. I cleaned it so its working so much better its actually pushing and spitting water over the edge. Everytime I think I have in set right, I come home to a bunch of salt drips.

As for my V-C, my tank has never looked better. Took a bit to get the dose right and not drive down nutrients too far but I think I'm there now. The Amino Acid dosing continues as I'm a lite feeder so I need to dose the Aminos to keep my SPS looking nice. The colors are all coming back to be better than ever.

Funniest story so far is on my Tubs Blues, the reason I originally started dosing V-C. I thought they died/melted back in December. They were on their way out when I started V-C and I didn't think I got there soon enough to save them. So, I had a green micro on the sand that I glued onto the spot where the Tubs were. Micro has been there since December. Last week one of my bully turbos knocked it off and I got lazy about putting it back for the week. I went to put it back over this weekend and low and behold, I see three Tubs polyps. Tiny, but they're trying. Is it the V-C, who knows, but I'm telling you the tubs were toast before I started dosing. I tried everything to save them. There was no way I could see them coming back but somehow they did. Even after being glued over for 3 months.

wow Merfin looking good. I am actually moving to california so I have to tank apart. Dont worry I will have it setup again hopefully by the years end. Will keep u updated!

Sorry to hear that kooolaid though I may be in a similar situation. Job may have me moving to Atlanta so I'm curtailing my coral spend. Horrible timing as I just ordered a custom, shallow rimless tank that I was so looking forward to tinkering with. Its a 65g (36" x 24" x 16").