SaltCritters.com

DT's Frag Tub

dtfleming

Sure is, and its big. I found the cause of the contaminants also. Two screws on the skimmer are rusted. I contact Aqua C and they are sending me a new air valve and suggested that I remove the screw on the gate valve handle. Freaking rust almost took my tank down.

omgomgomg wonder what alloy those screws were...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

def not stainless steel, wtf you would think they would put stainless steel screws in. I will say that Steve at Aqua C has always responded to me quickly and pretty much always sent me new parts at no cost to me.

Problem now is that Im gonna have to break the gate valve handle off, the screw is so rusted that I cannot remove it.

def not stainless steel, wtf you would think they would put stainless steel screws in. I will say that Steve at Aqua C has always responded to me quickly and pretty much always sent me new parts at no cost to me.

Problem now is that Im gonna have to break the gate valve handle off, the screw is so rusted that I cannot remove it.

well poo.

sometime when I have money:p Been spending it lately. Im switching to T5's for this tank, so Ill be selling the pendent setup shortly. I cannot get good light coverage over the tub. So a 36" TEK fixture with ATI bulbs should do the trick.

sometime when I have money:p Been spending it lately. Im switching to T5's for this tank, so Ill be selling the pendent setup shortly. I cannot get good light coverage over the tub. So a 36" TEK fixture with ATI bulbs should do the trick.

I thought you wanted all the freebies ;)

You might try this reflector first before you change:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php

PAR readings over a spread with this thing look insane.

Sure is, and its big. I found the cause of the contaminants also. Two screws on the skimmer are rusted. I contact Aqua C and they are sending me a new air valve and suggested that I remove the screw on the gate valve handle. Freaking rust almost took my tank down.

ok, so i was thinkin about it...and the rust itself is responsible for the algae bloom (algae growth in most aquariums is limited only be iron intake. Rusty screws added plenty of iron to the tank, and algae bloomed). Something else in that alloy has to be the cause of the SPS die back...would be interesting to know what that something was, because *all* rust may not be bad for the tank (assuming, of course, that you have enough macroalgae to control filamentous algae).

Just something to think on :)

^^^^^^true, I dunno if Ill find the other sources or not. Right now All the SPS look good and some are making a come back.

just hazarding a guess, but I'd say some amount of zinc.

zinc, copper, and aluminum are pretty common alloys...copper would have killed everything...aluminum would have complexed pretty quickly.

either way...just the little details that make me curious :)

Sorry to hear about that DT. Now that you mention it, that may have been the cause of the problems in my vat as well. I took my POS Red Sea out (it just...stopped working completely) and noticed the hose clamp was rusted. DOH! Thought I had put a plastic one on instead. Didn't think anything of it until I read this. No matter what I did, I ALWAYS had a huge algae issue.

Sometimes it's the little things that cause the biggest problems.

Took some pics under actinics only. Got my phosban reactor up and running with some rowaphos in it.

Current bulb selection:

2x39W ATI Aqua blue special

2x39W ATI Aqua blue plus

2x39W Giesemann Pure actinic

Picture1017.jpg

Picture1018.jpg

Picture1022.jpg

Picture1023.jpg

Picture1024.jpg

Picture1027.jpg

Picture1028.jpg

Picture1030.jpg