Innovative Marine Aquariums

DT's Frag Tub

dtfleming

Congratulations DTF! I love it! Now to add some snails and a yellow tang to keep the algae picked clean.

What is the actual square inches of rack space? Looks pretty comparable to my 66G frag (840sq inches) but a lot easier. How do you like the light? Luminarc mini? 400W? I should bring the par meter by to see how it does.

I move all my new SPS out of quarantine next week. I think we may have another frag swap in order.

Are those my green PE? I lost that colony - I may have to replace them from you.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading your thread from front to back about....five times I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

In the top tub, what do you have underneath the frag rack? How far is it above the bottom?

1" PVC Pipe for the legs, I think their 6"

How far up do you have the light from the water surface?

Right now its 12" above

What size of PVC are you running for the flow to the sump?

Two 3/4" bulkheads with 1" PVC pipe, make each one a seperate drain. I sent them up as external durso's

Any plans for future addition of sand to either the display or sump?

IF you look at the sump I have a 5.5 gal tank as a fuge with about 4" of fine sand in it.

No fishies? :( I had a sixline but he jumped, Ill prob add a yellow tang and a aussie clownfish.

I've come to the conclusion my setup is just not efficient at nutrient export and it would be cheaper to scrap it then pull huge water changes weekly to compensate.

Congratulations DTF! I love it! Now to add some snails and a yellow tang to keep the algae picked clean.

What is the actual square inches of rack space? Looks pretty comparable to my 66G frag (840sq inches) but a lot easier. How do you like the light? Luminarc mini? 400W? I should bring the par meter by to see how it does.

I move all my new SPS out of quarantine next week. I think we may have another frag swap in order.

Are those my green PE? I lost that colony - I may have to replace them from you.

Not sure the square inches. It basically 34" long by 24" wide. Didn't get the Lumenarc, I couldnt wait any longer. I got a Reef Optix pendent for $35. So I got a 250W ballast and 14K Phoenix, I may add another pendent to the system or actinics, Im not sure yet. No thats RPE I got from nugz

Thanks DT! Appreciate the answers. Looks like that light is working out well for you. I have the same bulb but I'm using a Hamilton fixture. Looks like SPS won't be huge issue lighting wise.

I look forward to following your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Got new fish in today from Liveaquaria. atleast one of the two orders arrived ok. They set me the wrong light

for my 26gal. The yellow tang appears to have some HLLE also. The clowns are great and are paired up already.

Picture879.jpg

Picture878.jpg

Picture877.jpg

Picture876.jpg

Picture880.jpg

Yes I see the algae too. It's going through an algae cycle right now.

I got about 30 of them in there. Bastages need to start eating. Mixed of mexican turbo, turbos, ceriths. Along with skimming heavy and a fuge. So it will pass in time.

Great looking fish! Hopefully the clowns do produce some babies for you. The blacks bring a pretty penny and stores around here are very eager to buy them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not doing well, I lost one of the clowns and alot of the Montis I had I lost. I dont know whats going on. All my parameters are in check. Only using RO/DI for topoff. Im doing weekly water changes. My orange caps have bleached. I lost chips acro, rainbow monti, pokerstar, idaho grape, blue tort. sunrise frag is still hanging on. All my zoas and lps are doing fine, so im baffled.

Its not doing well, I lost one of the clowns and alot of the Montis I had I lost. I dont know whats going on. All my parameters are in check. Only using RO/DI for topoff. Im doing weekly water changes. My orange caps have bleached. I lost chips acro, rainbow monti, pokerstar, idaho grape, blue tort. sunrise frag is still hanging on. All my zoas and lps are doing fine, so im baffled.

:(

I had that happen once as well...never could figure out the problem. Softies/LPS looked fine, grew, etc., but my montis and what few acros I had bleached then died. I'd had many of them for more than a year in the same setup.

Needreefunds

:eek: Sheet man, sorry to hear about the loss of some of your favorite frags dt. Sux big time.

Hang in there.

Yuck. :angry: Any metal contaminants possibly anywhere? Are you running carbon? Radon in the basement maybe? All basements around us have radon if you don't mitigate it. Just throwing out some ideas.

What params do you measure?

Might try some purigen or other chemical filter to remove any contaminants.

I'll give you some replacements frags for whatever you got from me once you figure it out and get things stable.

AcroporaLokani

I had about twelve frags of pokerstar in my frag tank, they all died within a week of each other even with them being in the tank and growing happily for a few months, it turned out that the tank was leaking (my 12 gal aquapod) and was just puddling up behind the tank for that week, and every time I topped off the water (figuring it was just the summer heat making me have to top off more frequently same with the spilled salt water smell) I was just lowering the salt content of the water.

Stupid of me not to notice I know.But figured I would say maybe you should make sure there isn't a puddle behind your frag tub :)

• 4 weeks later...

Tks, yea no puddle. Looks like the problems are some sort of contaminants in the tank. Purgien has helped. also the alk dropped pretty low. Got that back up and things seem to be alittle better. Still battling some algae issues. I really need to run a phosban reactor on this tank.

Here's some coral pics

Picture978.jpg

Picture979.jpg

Picture980.jpg

Picture981.jpg

Picture983.jpg

Picture984.jpg

Picture985.jpg

Picture986.jpg

Sure is, and its big. I found the cause of the contaminants also. Two screws on the skimmer are rusted. I contact Aqua C and they are sending me a new air valve and suggested that I remove the screw on the gate valve handle. Freaking rust almost took my tank down.

Archived