Coral Vue Hydros

SeeDemTails 2.75 G pico

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

I started this little tank a month or so ago, and it has been doing great since the beggining. Coralline growth already.

The tank started as a 5.5, and I divided it with a false back. It has no skimmer, just a 300gph pump with a split return, and the overflow is back into the rear area zero edge style.

I plan on redoing the rockwork, and making a hood for it. All to come!

Here are a few snap shots for now, a few corals and a cute little baby orchid dottyback.

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01607.JPG

DSC01608.JPG

DSC01609.JPG

DSC01611.JPG

DSC01613.JPG

DSC01618.JPG

DSC01619.JPG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SeeDemTails

LOL pos 18 w 50/50 coralife bulb.....soon to be replaced with either a more powerful pc fixture or a 70w halide. I am thinking halide.

how did you get the water level like that with the flow on? was it just trial and error adjusting the pump?

tank looks great... nice aquascape that rock looks like it was made for that tank

glennr1978

Sweet little tank!!! I hope it's fully stocked already though. If you tried to add even a tiny shrimp you would overflow the tank!!

SeeDemTails

I gotta get a diagram to show you guys how it works.

I just put a standard cut piece of acrylic in the middle of a 5.5 gal, and with the rim off, it gives it the perfect overflow level.

I can add more stuff, or stick my hands in the water, I just have to do it slowly, and the water level in the back area rises, then when I take my hand out, it fills the main back up until it overflows into the back again.

I am going to put a support in the back and make the rock go all the way up the back wall.....wait until it is finished!

Oceanic 30g

Nice. Was that water level just for the pics? That is cutting it close...

How do you put your hand in the tank for maintenance? (or wait for a water change)

SeeDemTails

No, thats where the water is always at. It has that zeroedge effect, but without the constantly hard to clean inside and outside glass.

I will take more pics, and make a diagram lol.

It is all run with one pump and a heather.

i understand the concept of your overflow... i was just wondering how you got the water level that close to the top with out some spilling out once the pumps came on? (you know when a stream of water hits the front glass, how did you know it wouldnt shoot a little up and over)

glennr1978
i understand the concept of your overflow... i was just wondering how you got the water level that close to the top with out some spilling out once the pumps came on? (you know when a stream of water hits the front glass, how did you know it wouldnt shoot a little up and over)

My guess would be the 300gph return pump. After head loss and what not it probably only pumps 50% of the 300gph. So since there really isn't all that much water moving in the tank it wouldn't really create any ripples.

Btw, I was was just giving you a hard time SDT, it looks like it will work out just fine. But as you said, make sure you put things in that tank SLOOOW. I don't think your overflow can handle much more.

Hand in tank very slowly. I've got a 10 that if my big ol' paw goes in too fast it'll overflow!

Females move more precisely like that I guess.

Hark, do I see a pink birdsnest in there! How cool!

SeeDemTails

Captain, I have to say, I HATE frag plugs too!

Yeah, super slow when putting stuff in the tank. I have overflowed it many times.

The surface has some agitation, but not enough for it to spill out. I put a check valve on the pump, but havent needed to use it.

I guess I got lucky, everything worked well from the start in this tank! I will take some pics of the back.

Now for better lighting!

SeeDemTails

Ok, so I said I was gonna do some major work to this tank, and I had some fun yesterday!

I added a skimmer, which I had to cut down to fit under the cabinet, but it works just fine! I had to cut both the riser tube and the collection cup. I had to adjust the outflow tube of course but everything seems to be working just fine.

Before

DSC01627.JPG

After

DSC01641.JPG

So then I found a spare piece of egg crate and started cutting it......one thing led to another....

DSC01628.JPG

DSC01629.JPG

Everyone chillin

DSC01630.JPG

Terrified dottyback hiding some where!(fed him later he is fine)

DSC01631.JPG

A few minutes, zip ties, and tubes of super glue later....Wa la! Rock wall!

DSC01632.JPG

DSC01634.JPG

Of course I have some gaps to fill it, and stuff to cover with coral, but what do you think!?!?

DSC01636.JPG

nice tower-effect! B) (no innuendo meant)

just gleaning ideas here for my own summer pico project. :ninja: but i think i'm going to use that concept or something close to that.

*thumbsup!*

SeeDemTails

Thanks.....I did it so I could put a frag on basically every rock in the tower, without shaing the next level down too much.

I cant wait to put a better light on this tank, and add a small hood of sorts.

Great job! I love the DIY stuff like this. Nice mod on the skimmer too. Are youy doing all the work yourself on this setup?

SeeDemTails

Yeah, so far I have about $20 into the tank, and $25 into the fish. I had all the other stuff laying around.

I just bought some silicone, some acrylic, a few water system parts and a 5.5 gal tank and started sticking stuff together.

Archived