Cultivated Reef

Lalani's Pico Upgrade

Lalani

holy crap lalani this is awesome

i'm definitely setting up the 10 gallon i have at home up at work after looking through this thread

i just need to get some better lights and figure out how to DIY it into an AIO like yours just not peninsula :)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AdriftQuasar

Still an amazing tank!

I have a couple of 10 gallon AGA's laying around and a picotope that was a gift I have yet to do anything with. Considering making some orders today...

• 4 weeks later...

So ya, I think I'll tell mom on Thursday to turn off the lights on the tank and we'll turn then back on Saturday when I go to do a water change.........

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

• 5 months later...
:wub:

They are really neat! I might steal one and put it in the 15gal.

Pics?

Umm, haven't taken any new pics. And despite the rocks being cleaned up, cyano is appearing on the sand.... not sure why. <_<

Umm, haven't taken any new pics. And despite the rocks being cleaned up, cyano is appearing on the sand.... not sure why. <_<

Well then get to it! :)

Hmm, Not a lot of flow in that tank

Maybe that is why.

Ps- Dhaut, who is the gentleman in your sig?

They are really neat! I might steal one and put it in the 15gal.

I read a really interesting article recently in Coral Magazine about Cyanobacteria.

I've felt for a while that there was more to Cyano growth than nutrients and low flow, or tanks that were out of balance.

I've seen too many instances where it's shown up in aquariums that meet none of these criteria.

At any rate, some scientific studies have been done that show that Cyanobacteria are extremely adaptable, and in situations of low to no phosphates or low nutrients, they are able to adapt and utilize sulfur or nitrogen compounds instead.

Yeah... I think the problem might actually be the bulbs. I don't remember exactly when I replaced them, but they are PCs and probably over 6 or 8 months old.. need to check the log book, lol.

I do water changes on the tank every week and I just upgraded the pump so it has plenty of flow!

I am having a problem with some different forms of slime/film algae in one of my 10gs, and I believe they are cyano based.

I'm gonna do a thorough cleaning and WC, and then for the frags that this keeps coming back on I'm gonna take a week or two of cleaning them off with a toothbrush and dipping them in Melafix every other day.

Hey Lalani,

I had a nasty cyano problem -- for MONTHS, no less -- and no amount of water changing was taking care of it. If you find you still have Algae after you swap the bulbs, try this stuff from API, if you're comfortable adding something to your tank.

My tank doesn't have much in it, but a day after I added the API stuff to the tank, the cyano was *gone*. I water changed a few days later (per the instructions) and all has been well ever since.

Good luck! Cyano isn't just an annoying problem -- it can really get you down. :( If I hadn't found this stuff I don't know what I would have done, but I was getting pretty down about it.

I hope you get it worked out Kim. This tank was an inspiration for my 10 gallon contest entry. I'm actually going for sps dominated.

On the jetties nano I had problems with algae for months but finally got it licked with cuc and good clean water changes/detritus siphoning.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to switching the bulbs out a couple of weeks ago. Cyano isn't slacking off yet, but mom wants to upgrade the tank anyway... soooo, she'll probably be moving up to my old 20H tank with the Sundial and brand new T5HO bulbs and all the rocks and sand from the 15gal plus the stuff (except sand) from this tank. Not sure when we'll do the transfer but just felt like saying this tank will be empty in the near future... and with the removal of the 15gal I'll be down to only 2 tanks at home. :happy:

M'kay, I'll have to take some next time I'm there. Which will probably be in the next couple of days. We were thinking about building a stand for the 20H, but then I realized she can just use the old radio that the 15gal is sitting on.......... since it belongs to her... so I need to let her know that so she doesn't start drawing up plans for a new one.

I designed the 40br stand. ;)

She and I built it and the three-tiered stand that her tank is sitting on. I know my way around a workshop!

And yeah, it is cool that she's enjoying the tank so much. She does the daily maintenance and I just go and do a water change each weekend. She's always calling me up when something happens or she finds some new hitch hiker, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

M'kay, pics of the cyano tank. Kind of made plans to upgrade it to the 20H this coming Monday, but when I got home I realized I don't have enough salt mix to prepare the new sw just yet. Will have to order some before anything can get done. Maybe next weekend..

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Pencil urchin(s) for DH:

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Archived