Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jupiter, FLA Reef

Nick's Reef

Nick's Reef

Well i might actually do this! Lilredneckman is gonna give me stuff from when he had a vase pico and I'm gonna set it up cause my dad went bottom fishing and pulled up a piece of the reef he was fishing over and stuck it in his tank (he knows it was probably illegal, but it was a very small rock, maybe a little bigger than a golf ball) and it has really cool sponges and some sort of hard coral on it and some hitchhiking crab came on it. so i'm goning to keep the crab in it and see if he'll give me the rock. if not i'll just have the crab, xenia, and gsp.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ocho Cinco
Ahemm.... They're not called "white heads". The preferred term is "blue-hair", as in: "Them damn blue-hairs need to learn how to drive, or move back up North!"

Blue Hair? I've heard them called Snow Birds.

• 3 weeks later...
SeeDemTails

Forget people who live on the water and act like that, jerks! I have lived on the water my whole life, and I hate when people get selfish, especially when you are just snorkeling. I also hate rich bastages that live on the water and get manatee zones pushed through. My husband is a U.S.C.G. licensed merchant marine officer, also known as a captain, and has manatee zones exemption passes issued by the FWC, I love it when we ride on plane through manatee zones and these old dudes are out on their dock cussing us out so my hubby stops, pulls up and shoves his permit in their face, and drives off happily.

Dont stop fly fishing either, it is one of the funnest sports ever once you get good, you will actually get better at catching fish on fly versus spin.

I dont know if you know, but my husband is a fly fishing guide in Mosquito Lagoon and around Ponce De Leon Inlet.

This is our boat!

P2130007.JPG

Nick's Reef
Forget people who live on the water and act like that, jerks! I have lived on the water my whole life, and I hate when people get selfish, especially when you are just snorkeling. I also hate rich bastages that live on the water and get manatee zones pushed through. My husband is a U.S.C.G. licensed merchant marine officer, also known as a captain, and has manatee zones exemption passes issued by the FWC, I love it when we ride on plane through manatee zones and these old dudes are out on their dock cussing us out so my hubby stops, pulls up and shoves his permit in their face, and drives off happily.

Dont stop fly fishing either, it is one of the funnest sports ever once you get good, you will actually get better at catching fish on fly versus spin.

I dont know if you know, but my husband is a fly fishing guide in Mosquito Lagoon and around Ponce De Leon Inlet.

This is our boat!

P2130007.JPG

That's one sweet boat seedem, I knew that you're husband is a guide in mosquito lagoon. I really want ot fish ther sometime, I see on all the fishing shows and read in magazines about the hundreds of reds all schooled up. I bet it's so hard to keep quiet when you've got 500+ reds a couple hundred feet away.

Also as you said, flyfishing is very fun, but it can be so frustrating! I alwys find a way to get the line I stripped in wrapped around the trolling motor and my next cast starts out with me cursing at it. I think the reason you'll catch more fish on fly is that, you can match what the fish is eating better, i have thrown a doa shrimp on my spining rod into a light ten times and not even get a look, then i throw in a little shrimp fly and about the third strip get poped by a little 20" snook. I say little cause here in Jupiter there are some big slobs around, especially now when they're on the beach, on 4th of july weekend me and lilredneckman when to the pier and he caught one that was atleast 20lbs and we saw some 40"+ fish crusing the surf.

The snow birds didn't leave this year, because of the price of gas. If they did, they left their RV's here. weird not dodging RV caravans at the start of the summer.

Bastages...now that is funny. My father-in-law has a Pearson 32 (sailboat) and basically vows to FREE THE HIGH WATER MARK or something like that. 60's radical on water. Bastages....I am still laughing.

SeeDemTails

Wow a 20lb snook!

If you ever feel like heading up this way, my hubby likes coral too and I am sure for a frag he could be persuaded to take you fly fishing in the lagoon.

Nick's Reef
If you ever feel like heading up this way, my hubby likes coral too and I am sure for a frag he could be persuaded to take you fly fishing in the lagoon.

Well, at the moment, my fly-fishing skills are mediocre at best. The longest cast i've ever had to make to a snook in the lights was at most 50ft. and most of the time my flyline doesn't land so pretty. I may actually have a chance to fish the lagoon next week with my dad though since he wanted to take me fishing somewhere special before school started. (That means you too lilredneckman most likely will be able to come if we go.) We'l probably bring his boat (17' ft bay that'll float in 12" of water) and fish with artificials and live shrimp or crabs.

Nick's Reef
Sweet! LMK when

Hey, the only reason that I know of that we wouldn't go is cause the deepest part of the lagoon is 3' (seedem can correct me if I'm wrong) and everytime we see Blair Wiggins on tv he's poilling in very skinny water, and my dad doesn't want to go if we can't get close enough to the fish.

Nick's Reef
Eh im sure we can find ways around it

We won't have to, we're taking my boat. Don't worry, the enginge runs fine! :lol:

lilredneckman
We won't have to, we're taking my boat. Don't worry, the enginge runs fine! :lol:

woah woah woah!! Why don't we just take my boat?!

SeeDemTails

Naw you will be fine, fish the edges of the bars if you have a bigger boat. There are some really shallow areas though, so be careful. E-mail my husband if you need to be pointed in the right direction.

Nick's Reef
woah woah woah!! Why don't we just take my boat?!

what the hell are you smoking?!?! Yeah, were gonna get a 30ft parker with a probably 30ft high tower into 12" of water? Well I'll look on the bright side, at least we can see the reds tailing. lol!

SeeDem, if we take my whaler, we'll be much better off since neither boat has a poling platform and the whalers trolling motor kicks a$$ compared to my dad's boat, it moves the boat alot quiker and uses less juice. Also, can you fish the no motor zones while using a trolling motor? Cause that's the main reason my dad wants to use my boat since he read that if your boat draws more than 12" of water standing you can't get in there and it sounds like that's where the better fishing is.

Also what would be the best bet for us in the whaler, it'll float with all three of us in like 5" of water, I'm guessing fish a flat with lot's of pot holes or run and gun to find a scholl of reds.

Nick's Reef

Well my dad made up his mind and we're going!!!! We're leaving tuesday afternoon, fishing that evening, staying at a fish camp, fishing the early am bite, and then heading home. Hopefully we'll catch some decent sized reds, trout, and if I get lucky, my first inshore slam (red, trout, and snook). I'll try to post some pics in my tank thread.

• 3 weeks later...
lilredneckman
We got yelled at by some old man just north of cannonsport yesterday!

lol that stinks!!!

Just wondering where are you located?

lol that stinks!!!

Just wondering where are you located?

Like home? Or where we were yelled at? We came in from diving south of the breakers and thought I would check the seawall for anything cool on the way back to the ramp. We found a sea horse and a old VHF radio....and a 10 pound weight from the gym.

Archived