Top Shelf Aquatics

Jupiter, FLA Reef

Nick's Reef

Nick's Reef

Ok so my grandfather gave me this dvd that a local diver filmed and it's amazing all the life that's just a few miles offshore. So I'm now considering starting a little tank to recreate our reefs.

Heres basically all the stuff that I could support in a nano/pico:

Star Coral (much like porties)

X-mas tree worms

all different types of gorgs

ricordea

open brains

maze brains

grape calupra

halemedia

neon gobies

beaugregorys (damsel)

anemone shrimp

every type of sponge amaginable

cody nems (highly doubt I'd get one)

flower nems (saw some really cool colors on the video)

That's all I can remember right now, I'd probably do this in a 10 gal since i've got an almost new aga in my garage. probably a mj 1200 or 900 for flow and I'd get aquacultured Fla. lr from the lfs because it has most of this life already on it and it's top notch. There is a slim chance that I will get permission from my dad to do this (My mom wants to give me $$$$ for this already!) because everyone in our house (mom, dad, me, brother) each has a tank, but I've got the perfect spot on the kitchen counter or in my room.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nano reef boy13

are you new to this hobby???

and what kind of lights are you going to have???

also for gorgonians and sponges have to be fed everyday very heavily...

i would reccomend you no anemone, no x-mas worms(hard to keep the porites alive), no anemone shrimp with gobies

Nick's Reef
are you new to this hobby???

and what kind of lights are you going to have???

also for gorgonians and sponges have to be fed everyday very heavily...

i would reccomend you no anemone, no x-mas worms(hard to keep the porites alive), no anemone shrimp with gobies

I'm no were close top new to this, this would be my fourth reef tank! As for lighting I'd just get a simple pc fixture and as for the gorgs and sponges I'd pretty much stick to what comes on my lr or get a few photosynthetic gorgs. As for the x-mas tree worms, it would be pretty hard to aviod them considerin that they're on about every single piece of rock. I will most likely not get a nem and no shrimp, this is just an idea as I'm broke at the moment due to recent coral purchases for my current tank(link in sig).

That sounds sweet. So it will be like a mini reef of what is in your hometown. Cool!! I want to go diving so bad. Never done it before. It's kinda hard to do that in MI and see some cool stuff. Yeah Nick is not a noob. Plus look at his posts and look at yours. The question is...are you a noob?????

Nick's Reef
That sounds sweet. So it will be like a mini reef of what is in your hometown. Cool!! I want to go diving so bad. Never done it before. It's kinda hard to do that in MI and see some cool stuff.

yeah it should be neat if i get it going, this sucker could be absoulutely free if only it was legal to collect half the stuff here. I go snorkeling alor and see some neat stuff but have never gotten in the water in more than 25ft. of water, I'd love to go diving but am not certefied and my dad sold all his scuba stuff.

yeah it should be neat if i get it going, this sucker could be absoulutely free if only it was legal to collect half the stuff here. I go snorkeling alor and see some neat stuff but have never gotten in the water in more than 25ft. of water, I'd love to go diving but am not certefied and my dad sold all his scuba stuff.

I want to go diving bad sometime. Like I said, everytime I want to go I have to make a long trip out of it. You have in pretty much in your backyard!!!

I'd love to collect stuff for my tank straight from the ocean. I think being able to say "I caught that little guy myself" would make it that much cooler!

And I don't know if you've looked into harvesting laws or not, but just in case you haven't here's the link It took me awhile to find it so I figured I'd spare you the trouble in case you haven't found it yourself :happy:

I'd highly recommend getting SCUBA certified if you have the time and resources. Staring into your little piece of the ocean at home is great, but there is nothing like being surrounded by it! Good luck with the tank; I really hope it works out!

Robert

Nick's Reef
I'd love to collect stuff for my tank straight from the ocean. I think being able to say "I caught that little guy myself" would make it that much cooler!

And I don't know if you've looked into harvesting laws or not, but just in case you haven't here's the link It took me awhile to find it so I figured I'd spare you the trouble in case you haven't found it yourself :happy:

I'd highly recommend getting SCUBA certified if you have the time and resources. Staring into your little piece of the ocean at home is great, but there is nothing like being surrounded by it! Good luck with the tank; I really hope it works out!

Robert

I have looked into harvesting laws, but most of the things I'd be puttting in this tank are protected from harvesdting in florida waters. Also fish around here are notorious for carrying brook and fin rot/fungus so I'm not going to catch stuff. I am going to the keys this year and will do some collecting there since I've had good luck with fish caught there and there are plenty of leagal to collect gorgs, gobies, and damsels. Plus even thoug neon gobies are pretty slow you'd be suprised how harc it is to catch one in the wild. They suck onto a rock or coral colony and are near impossible to get offf. my point is I will buy most of my livestock.

lilredneckman

Lets see who has scuba stuff.........ME!! my dad knows a few great spots in about 50ft and all we need to do is get certified! Iv caught tons of fish here and they have all servived and you know it. Its just the frenchs your dad always catches.

Nick's Reef

Well my dad said if you're not gonna come to me for $$$$ go ahead! :D I'v got the tank and mesh cover on it in my room (It's premade cover i used when keeping day geckos years ago) and may pick up a can of paint from hd and paint the back. i'm thinking blue because when visiblity is crapy that's what you see.

lilredneckman
Well my dad said if you're not gonna come to me for $$$$ go ahead! :D I'v got the tank and mesh cover on it in my room (It's premade cover i used when keeping day geckos years ago) and may pick up a can of paint from hd and paint the back. i'm thinking blue because when visiblity is crapy that's what you see.

I say go with black. By 55 has a blue background and i hate the looks of it. Plus the black should make the colors really pop. To bad you diddn't call me earlier, i took down the 5g hex and the 2g and gave all my sand to the 55!

I say go with black. By 55 has a blue background and i hate the looks of it. Plus the black should make the colors really pop. To bad you diddn't call me earlier, i took down the 5g hex and the 2g and gave all my sand to the 55!

You have a 55 gallon too? I thought you only had the RSM.

For rocks, sand, fish, etc.

Oh that he will collect for you from the ocean? Be a pal, give them to him for free. Who know, maybe he'll give you something...

lilredneckman
You have a 55 gallon too? I thought you only had the RSM.

I have a 55g FOWLER. It has a tomato clown in it and a horseshoe crab that ate most of the snails. It just basically still up because of the clown. He has such a wonderful personality and it fun to watch.

I have a 55g FOWLER. It has a tomato clown in it and a horseshoe crab that ate most of the snails. It just basically still up because of the clown. He has such a wonderful personality and it fun to watch.

What;s a FOWLER? Sorry... Why not fill up a bigger tank rather then the RSM?

lilredneckman
What;s a FOWLER? Sorry... Why not fill up a bigger tank rather then the RSM?

Well to tell ya the truth i actually don't know! I know its a tank with just fish because it doesn't really have the lights to support corals. I would have that tank set up but its too much for the lighting and its been battling Green Hairy algae for a year or two.Plus i got the RSM for 450$ instead of 700$. AND its an AIO and much easier to care for.

Nick's Reef

it's actuall FOWLR (Fish only with live rock). i think I am going to go with a balck bacground as on my dad's 75 the blue looks like crap.

lilredneckman

Ehh same thing! I forgot i also have those two vlennies from the RSM that were picking on my acan so i forgot there in there too.

Cool idea I can't wait to see how it turns out!! :)

You might wanna go with a protein skimmer if your gonna be feeding Inverts/Corals everyday it will keep your tank nice and tidy. ;)

johnmaloney

Is it the video from that dive shop over on US Hwy1 in the plaza across from the Movies plaza? That one is sweet, only dive video of Jupiter I know.

Witht the sponges, I think you will find that the red ball, orange tree, and some of the encrusting sponges are all that will survive. I have tried literally hundreds from the jupiter area, and those are the only ones that made it for me. If you have different results let me know.

Archived